Investigation of the recurrence patterns of gastric cancer following a curative resection
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The goal of this study was to investigate the recurrence patterns of gastric cancer and determine the predictive information of recurrence patterns of gastric cancer following a curative resection.
This study retrospectively analyzed the data of 308 gastric cancer patients who underwent a curative resection, to identify the factors associated with the recurrence patterns.
One hundred and sixty-nine gastric cancer patients had recurrence following curative resection. One hundred and twenty-six patients were observed for 3 years after the operation. Locoregional recurrence formed part of the recurrence pattern in 107 patients, peritoneal dissemination was observed in 98 patients, and distant metastasis occurred in 22 patients. A multivariate analysis revealed that locoregional recurrence was only associated with the Lauren classification (P = 0.003); peritoneal dissemination was only associated with N stage (P < 0.001); and distant metastasis was only associated with the Lauren classification (P = 0.016).
Locoregional recurrence, peritoneal dissemination, and distant metastasis were the most common recurrence patterns of gastric cancer following a curative resection. Each recurrence pattern is associated with specific clinicopathological factors.
- Rohatgi PR, Yao JC, Hess K, Schnirer I, Rashid A, Mansfield PF, et al. Outcome of gastric cancer patients after successful gastrectomy. Cancer 2006;107:2576–2580. CrossRef
- Manfe AZ, Segalina P, Maffei Faccioli A. Prognostic factors in gastric cancer. Our experience and review of the literature. Minerva Chir 2000;55:299–305.
- Yokota T, Kunii Y, Teshima S, Yamada Y, Saito T, Takahashi M, et al. Significant prognostic factors in patients with early gastric cancer. Int Surg 2000;85:286–290.
- Ding YB, Chen GY, Xia JG, Zang XW, Yang HY, Yang L. Association of VCAM-1 Overexpression with oncogenesis, tumor angiogenesis and metastasis of gastric carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol 2003;9:1409–1414.
- Pan W, Ishii H, Ebihara Y, Gobe G. Prognostic use of growth characteristics of early gastric cancer and expression patterns of apoptotic, cell proliferation, and cell adhesion proteins. J Surg Oncol 2003;82:104–110. CrossRef
- Coburn NG, Swallow CJ, Kiss A, Law C. Significant regional variation in adequacy of lymph node assessment and survival in gastric cancer. Cancer 2006;107:2143–2151. CrossRef
- Kodera Y, Yamamura Y, Shimizu Y, Torii A, Hirai T, Yasui K, et al. Lymph node status assessment for gastric carcinoma: is the number of metastatic lymph nodes really practical as a parameter for N categories in the TNM Classification? Tumor Node Metastasis. J Surg Oncol 1998;69:15–20. CrossRef
- Hocbward SN, Kim S, Klimstra DS, Brennan MF, Karpeb MS. Analysis of 154 actual five-year survivors of gastric cancer. J Gastrointest Surg 2000;4:520–525. CrossRef
- Kajitani T. The general rules for the gastric cancer study in surgery and pathology. Part I. Clinical classification. Jpn J Surg 1981; 11:127–139. CrossRef
- Shiu MH, Moore E, Sanders M, Huvos A, Freedman B, Goodbold J, et al. Influence of the extent of resection on survival after curative treatment of gastric carcinoma. A retrospective multivariate analysis. Arch Surg 1987;122:1347–1351.
- Yonemura YMD, editor. Contemporary approaches toward cure of gastric cancer. Kanazawa, Japan: Maeda Shoten; 1996.
- Bonenkamp JJ, Hermans J, Sasako M, Van de Velde C. Extended lymph-node dissection for gastric cancer. N Engl J Med 1999; 340:908–914. CrossRef
- Cuschieri A, Weeden S, Fielding J, Bancewicz J, Craven J, Joypaul V, et al. Patient survival after D1 and D2 resections for gastric cancer: long-term results of the MRC randomized surgical trial. Surgical Co-operative Group. Br J Cancer 1999;79:1522–1530. CrossRef
- Volpe CM, Koo J, Miloro SM, Driscoll DL, Nava HR, Douglass HO Jr. The effect of extended lymphadenectomy on survival in patients with gastric adenocarcinoma. J Am Coll Surg 1995; 181:56–64.
- Roukos DH, Lorenz M, Encke A. Evidence of survival benefit of extended (D2) lymphadenectomy in western patients with gastric cancer based on a new concept: a prospective long-term follow-up study. Surgery 1998;123:573–578. CrossRef
- Wanebo HJ, Kennedy BJ, Chmiel J, Steele G Jr, Winchester D, Osteen R. Cancer of the stomach. A patient care study by the American College of Surgeons. Ann Surg 1993;218:583–592. CrossRef
- Brennan MF, Karpeh MS. Surgery for gastric cancer: the American view. Semin Oncol 1996;23:352–359.
- Irvin TT, Bridger JE. Gastric cancer: an audit of 122 consecutive cases and results of R1 gastrectomy. Br J Surg 1988;75:106–109. CrossRef
- Herber G, Teichman RK, Kramling HJ, Gunther B. Results of resection for carcinoma of the stomach: the European experience. World J Surg 1988;12:374–381. CrossRef
- Dent DM, Madden MV, Price SK. Randomized comparison of R1 and R2 gastrectomy for gastric carcinoma. Br J Surg 1988; 75:110–112. CrossRef
- Miwa K, Miyazaki I, Sahara H, Fujimura T, Yonemura Y, Noguchi M, et al. Rationale for extensive lymphadenectomy in early gastric carcinoma. Br J Cancer 1995;72:1518–1524. CrossRef
- Bonenkamp JJ, Hermans J, Sasako M, van de Velde CJ. Extended lymph-node dissection for gastric cancer. Dutch Gastric Cancer Group. N Engl J Med 1999;340:908–914. CrossRef
- Weber SM, Karpeh MS. Randomized clinical trials in gastric cancer. Surg Oncol Clin N Am 2002;11:111–131. CrossRef
- Roviello F, Marrelli D, de Manzoni G, Morgagni P, Di Leo A, Saragoni L, et al. Prospective study of peritoneal recurrence after curative surgery for gastric cancer. Br J Surg 2003;90:1113–1119. CrossRef
- Maehara Y, Hasuda S, Koga T, Tokunaga E, Kakeji Y, Sugimachi K. Postoperative outcome and sites of recurrence in patients of following curative resection of gastric cancer. Br J Surg 2003; 87:353–357. CrossRef
- Sasako M, Sano T, Yamamoto S, Kurokawa Y, Nashimoto A, Kurita A, et al. D2 lymphadenectomy alone or with para-aortic nodal dissection for gastric cancer. N Engl J Med 2008;359: 453–462. CrossRef
- Hu JK, Yang K, Zhang B, Chen XZ, Chen ZX, Chen JP. D2 plus para-aortic lymphadenectomy versus standardized D2 lymphadenectomy in gastric cancer surgery. Surg Today 2009;39:207–213. CrossRef
- Angelica MD, Gonen M, Brennan MF, Turnbull AD, Bains M, Karpeh MS. Patterns of initial recurrence in completely resected gastric adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg 2004;240:808–816. CrossRef
- Yoo CH, Noh SH, Shin DW, Choi SH, Min JS. Recurrence following curative resection for gastric carcinoma. Br J Surg 2000;87:236–242. CrossRef
- Schwarz RE, Zagala-Nevarez K. Recurrence patterns after radical gastrectomy for gastric cancer: prognostic factors and implications for postoperative adjuvant therapy. Ann Surg Oncol 2002;9: 394–400. CrossRef
- Wu CW, Hsieh MC, Lo SS, Tsay SH, Lui WY, P’eng FK. Relation of number of metastatic lymph nodes to the prognosis of patients with primary gastric adenocarcinoma. Gut 1996;38:525–527. CrossRef
- Ichikura T, Tomimatsu S, Okusa Y, Uefuji K, Tamakuma S. Comparison of the prognostic significance between the number of metastatic lymph nodes and nodal stage based on their location in patients with gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 1993;11:1894–1900.
- Wu CW, Hsieh MC, Lo SS, Shen KH, Lui WY, P’eng FK. Comparison of the UICC/AJCC 1992 and 1997 pN categories for gastric cancer patients after surgery. Hepatogastroenterology 2001;48:279–284.
- Katai H, Yoshimura K, Maruyama K, Sasako M, Sano T. Evaluation of the New International Union Against Cancer TNM staging for gastric carcinoma. Cancer 2000;88:1796–1800. CrossRef
- Okusa T, Nakane Y, Boku T, Takada H, Yamamura M, Hioki K, et al. Quantitative analysis of nodal involvement with respect to survival rate after curative gastrectomy for carcinoma. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1990;170:488–494.
- Zhan YQ, Sun XW, Li W, Chen YB, Xu L, Guan YX, et al. Multivariate prognostic analysis in gastric carcinoma patients after radical operation. Ai Zheng 2005;24:596–599.
- Jaehne J, Meyer HJ, Maschek H, Geerlings H, Bruns E, Pichlmayr R. Lymphadenectomy in gastric adenocarcinoma. A prospective and prognostic study. Arch Surg 1992;127:290–294.
- Adachi Y, Kamakura T, Mori M, Baba H, Maehara Y, Sugimachi K. Prognostic significance of the number of positive lymph nodes in gastric carcinoma. Br J Surg 1994;81:414–416. CrossRef
- Investigation of the recurrence patterns of gastric cancer following a curative resection
Volume 41, Issue 2 , pp 210-215
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Gastric cancer
- Disease-free survival
- Multivariate analysis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Gastric Cancer Surgery Division, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Hospital and City Key Laboratory of Tianjin Cancer Center, Tianjin, PR China
- 3. Institute of Lung Cancer, Tianjin Medical University General Hospital, Tianjin, PR China
- 2. Department of Pathology, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Hospital, Tianjin, PR China