Results of a pulmonary metastasectomy in patients with colorectal cancer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The lung is one of the key sites of hematogenous metastasis in patients with colorectal cancer. A metastasectomy of the lung is reported to improve the prognosis of colorectal cancer. We reviewed our experience in evaluating the surgical outcomes in colorectal cancer patients who have undergone a pulmonary metastasectomy.
A single-center retrospective evaluation of clinical prognostic factors (1996–2008) related to a pulmonary metastasectomy of patients with colorectal cancer was conducted. Fifty-seven consecutive patients in our hospital who had undergone a resection of pulmonary metastasis from colorectal cancer were retrospectively investigated.
The mean age of the patients who underwent an initial pulmonary metastasectomy was 63.8 years. The average number of pulmonary metastases was 3.8. Pulmonary metastasectomy was performed an average of 1.6 times per head. A total of 32 patients had undergone a liver metastasectomy, and the 5-year survival of these 32 patients was 43.1%. The 5-year survival of the time from first pulmonary metastasectomy was 53.9%. There were no statistical differences with regard to the disease-free interval, interval from primary resection, or the number of pulmonary metastasectomies.
A pulmonary resection for colorectal pulmonary metastases is therefore considered to be a favorable treatment for long-term survival even in the presence of liver metastases. Thoracic surgeons should therefore aggressively perform a pulmonary metastasectomy of colorectal cancer.
- Marugame T, Kamo K, Katanoda K, Ajiki W, Sobue T. The Japan Cancer Surveillance Research Group. Cancer incidence and incidence rates in Japan in 2000. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2006;36:668–675. CrossRef
- Ike H, Shimada H, Ohki S, Ichikawa Y, Fujii S, Ohki S. Results of aggressive resection of lung metastases from colorectal carcinoma detected by intensive follow-up. Dis Colon Rectum 2002;45:468–475. CrossRef
- Girard P, Ducreux M, Baldeyrou P, Rougier P, Le Chevalier T, Bougaran J, et al. Surgery for lung metastases from colorectal cancer: analysis of prognostic factors. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:2047–2053.
- Saito Y, Omiya H, Kohno K, Kobayashi T, Itoi K, Teramachi M, et al. Pulmonary metastasectomy for 165 patients with colorectal carcinoma: a prognostic assessment. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2002;124:1007–1013. CrossRef
- Iizasa T, Suzuki M, Yoshida S, Motohashi S, Yasufuku K, Iyoda A, et al. Prediction of prognosis and surgical indications for pulmonary metastasectomy from colorectal cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 2006;82:254–260. CrossRef
- Yano T, Shoji F, Maehara Y. Current status of pulmonary metastasectomy from primary epithelial tumors. Surg Today 2009;39:91–97. CrossRef
- Tanaka S, Imamura Y. International comparisons of cumulative risk of colorectal cancer, from cancer incidence in five continents vol. VIII. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2006;36:186–187. CrossRef
- Tominaga S, Kato I. Diet, nutrition and cancer in Japan. Nutr Health 1992;8:125–132.
- Larsson SC, Wolk A. Meat consumption and risk of colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis of prospective studies. Int J Cancer 2006;119:2657–2664. CrossRef
- Winawer S, Fletcher R, Rex D, Bond J, Burt R, Ferrucci J, et al. The U.S. Multisociety task force on colorectal cancer. Colorectal cancer screening and surveillance: clinical guidelines and rationale — update based on new evidence. Gastroenterology 2003;124:544–560. CrossRef
- Wada T, Saito H, Soma Y, Koeda J, Kawaguchi H, Tanaka M, et al. Survival for patients with colorectal cancer detected by population-based screening program using an immunochemical fecal occult blood test. Int J Oncol 1996;9:685–691.
- Pfannschmidt J, Dienemann H, Hoffmann H. Surgical resection of pulmonary metastases from colorectal cancer: a systematic review of published series. Ann Thorac Surg 2007;84:324–338. CrossRef
- Headrick JR, Miller DL, Nagorney DM, Allen MS, Deschamps C, Trastek VF, et al. Surgical treatment of hepatic and pulmonary metastases from colon cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 2001;71:975–980. CrossRef
- Tsukioka T, Nishiyama N, Iwata T, Nagano K, Izumi N, Mizuguchi S, et al. Pulmonary metastasis from colorectal carcinoma with hepatic metastasis. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007;55:455–460. CrossRef
- Miller G, Biernacki P, Kemeny NE, Gonen M, Downey R, Jarnagin WR, et al. Outcomes after resection of synchronous or metachronous hepatic and pulmonary colorectal metastases. J Am Coll Surg 2007;205:231–238. CrossRef
- Lee WS, Yun HR, Yun SH, Chun HK, Lee WY, Kim SJ, et al. Treatment outcomes of hepatic and pulmonary metastases from colorectal carcinoma. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;23:367–372. CrossRef
- Rusch VW. Pulmonary metastasectomy. Current indications. Chest 1995;107:322S–332S. CrossRef
- Adam R, Delvart V, Pascal G, Valeanu A, Castaing D, Azoulay D, et al. Rescue surgery for unresectable colorectal liver metastases downstaged by chemotherapy: a model to predict long-term survival. Ann Surg 2004;240:644–657. CrossRef
- Results of a pulmonary metastasectomy in patients with colorectal cancer
Volume 41, Issue 1 , pp 54-59
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Colorectal cancer
- Pulmonary metastasis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Thoracic Surgery, National Hospital Organization, Kyushu Medical Center, Fukuoka, Japan
- 3. Akimoto Hospital, 1-8-3 Kego, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, 810-0023, Japan
- 2. Department of Surgery, Clinical Research Institute, National Hospital Organization, Kyushu Medical Center, Fukuoka, Japan