Endoluminal metastasis of colon cancer to the urinary bladder via the ureter: Report of a case
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A 67-year-old woman was admitted for intermittent gross hematuria. Her medical history included a right colectomy for cancer of the ascending colon and removal of metastatic nodes adjacent to the right internal iliac vessels, respectively at 63 and 65 years of age. Cystoscopy detected a semi-pedunculated, nonpapillary (3.5–4 cm diameter) tumor situated above the right ureteral orifice. The histological evaluation of the resected specimen revealed metastatic colonic adenocarcinoma. The history and pathological findings were consistent with a mechanism of endoluminal implantation of adenocarcinoma of the large bowel to the bladder via the right ureter.
- Melicow MM. Tumours of the urinary bladder: a clinico-pathological analysis of over 2500 specimens and biopsies. J Urol 1955;74:498–521.
- Bates AW, Baithun SI. Secondary neoplasms of the bladder are histological mimics of nontransitional cell primary tumours: clinicopathological and histological features of 282 cases. Histopathology 2000;36:32–40. CrossRef
- Kobayashi T, Kamoto T, Sugino Y, Takeuchi H, Habuchi T, Ogawa O. High incidence of urinary bladder involvement in carcinomas of the sigmoid and rectum: a retrospective review of 580 patients with colorectal carcinoma. J Surg Oncol 2003;84:209–214. CrossRef
- van Driel MF, Ypma AF, van Gelder B. Gastric carcinoma metastatic to the bladder. Br J Urol 1987;59:193–194. CrossRef
- Chiang KS, Lamki N, Athey PA. Metastasis to the bladder from pancreatic adenocarcinoma presenting with hematuria. Urol Radiol 1992;13:187–189. CrossRef
- Feldman PA, Madeb R, Naroditsky I, Halachmi S, Nativ O. Metastatic breast cancer to the bladder: a diagnostic challenge and review of the literature. Urology 2002;59:138. CrossRef
- Matsuhashi N, Yamaguchi K, Tamira T, Shimokawa K, Sugiyama Y, Adachi Y. Adenocarcinoma in bladder diverticulum, metastatic from gastric cancer. World J Surg Oncol 2005;3:55. CrossRef
- Yamamoto T, Yoshioka N, Katoh Y, Iquchi M, Katoh M, Yamakaki M. A case of sigmoid colon cancer that spread to the urinary bladder via the ureter (in Japanese). Hinyokika Kiyo 2005;51:673–675.
- Tamboli P, Mohsin SK, Hailemariam S, Amin MB. Colonic adenocarcinoma metastatic to the urinary tract versus primary tumours of the urinary tract with glandular differentiation: a report of 7 cases and investigation using a limited immunohistochemical panel. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2002;126:1057–1063.
- Sobin LH, Wittekind C (editors). International Union Against Cancer. TNM classification of malignant tumours. 6th ed. Hoboken, NJ: Jossey-Bass; 2002.
- Velcheti V, Govindan R. Metastatic cancer involving bladder: a review. Can J Urol 2007;14:3443–3448.
- Sheehan EE, Greenberg SD, Scott R Jr. Metastatic neoplasms of the bladder. J Urol 1963;90:281–284.
- Fornage BD, Rifkin MD, Lemaire AD, Touche DH. Bladder metastasis of gastric carcinoma: diagnosis by sonography. J Ultrasound 1984;12:578–580.
- Ota T, Shinohara M, Kinoshita K, Sakoma T, Kitamura M, Maeda Y. Two cases of metastatic bladder cancers showing diffuse thickening of the bladder wall. Jap J Clin Oncol 1999;29:314–316. CrossRef
- Kim HC, Kim SH, Hwang SI, Lee HJ, Han JK. Isolated bladder metastases from stomach cancer: CT demonstration. Abdom Imaging 2001;26:333–335. CrossRef
- Silver SA, Epstein JI. Adenocarcinoma of the colon simulating primary urinary bladder neoplasia. A report of nine cases. Am J Surg Pathol 1993;17:171–178. CrossRef
- Soon PS, Lynch W, Schwartz P. Breast cancer presenting initially with urinary incontinence: a case of bladder metastasis from breast cancer. Breast 2004;13:69–71. CrossRef
- Bates AW, Baithun SI. Renal cell carcinoma metastatic to the bladder. A report of three cases. J Urol Pathol 1999;10:71–76.
- Pinsach Elías L, Saladíe Roig JM, Blasco Casares FJ, Valero Milián J. Secondary tumors of the bladder of metastatic origin; a new case and review of the literature (in Spanish). Actas Urol Esp 1990;14:157–159.
- Thorup B, Fabrin K, Lund L. Implantation metastasis in ureter from a colonic adenocarcinoma. Scand J Urol Nephrol 2001;35:420–421. CrossRef
- Farhat MH, Moumneh G, Jalloul R, El Hout Y. Secondary adenocarcinoma of the urinary bladder from a primary gastric cancer. J Med Liban 2007;55:162–164.
- Abeshouse BS. Metastasis to ureters and urinary bladder from renal carcinoma: report of two cases. J Intern Coll Surg 1956;25:117–126.
- Shaw RE. Metastasis to the bladder from carcinoma of the kidney. Br J Surg 1961;48:420–422. CrossRef
- Remis RE, Halverstadt DB. Metastatic renal cell carcinoma to the bladder: case report and review of the literature. J Urol 1986;136:1294–1296.
- Wang HL, Lu DW, Yerian LM, Alsikafi N, Steinberg G, Hart J, et al. Immunohistochemical distinction between primary adenocarcinoma of the bladder and secondary colorectal adenocarcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 2001;25:1380–1387. CrossRef
- Matsuo M, Koga S, Nishikido M, Nogichi M, Sakaguchi M, Nomata K, et al. Renal cell carcinoma with solitary metachronous metastasis to the urinary bladder. Urology 2002;60:911–912. CrossRef
- Shiraishi K, Mohri J, Inoue R, Kamiryo Y. Metastatic renal cell carcinoma to the bladder 12 years after radical nephrectomy. Int J Urol 2003;10:453–455. CrossRef
- Endoluminal metastasis of colon cancer to the urinary bladder via the ureter: Report of a case
Volume 40, Issue 11 , pp 1093-1096
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery “Pietro Valdoni”, University of Rome “Sapienza” 1st Medical School, Policlinico “Umberto I”, viale del Policlinico 155, 00161, Rome, Italy
- 2. Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, Policlinico “Umberto I”, Rome, Italy