The evidence for adjuvant treatment of elderly patients (age ≥ 70) with stage III colon cancer is inconclusive
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article critically discusses the current evidence for adjuvant chemotherapy in elderly patients (≥70 years of age) with stage III colon cancer. The authors emphasize that current evidence is inconclusive, and surgeons should be aware of this fact when making informed decisions and recommendations.
- Mano MS, Duhoux F. Colon cancer: update on adjuvant therapy. Clin Colorectal Cancer 2008;7(3):178–183. CrossRef
- Muss HB, Biganzoli L, Sargent DJ, Aapro M. Adjuvant therapy in the elderly: making the right decision. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25(14):1870–1875. CrossRef
- Sargent DJ, Goldberg RM, Jacobson SD, Macdonald JS, Labianca R, Haller DG, et al. A pooled analysis of adjuvant chemotherapy for resected colon cancer in elderly patients. N Engl J Med 2001;345(15):1091–1097. CrossRef
- International Multicentre Pooled Analysis of Colon Cancer Trials (IMPACT) investigators. Efficacy of adjuvant fluorouracil and folinic acid in colon cancer. Lancet 1995;345(8955):939–944. CrossRef
- Zaniboni A, Labianca R, Marsoni S, Torri V, Mosconi P, Grilli R, et al. GIVIO-SITAC 01: A randomized trial of adjuvant 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid administered to patients with colon carcinoma—long term results and evaluation of the indicators of health-related quality of life. Gruppo Italiano Valutazione Interventi in Oncologia. Studio Italiano Terapia Adiuvante Colon. Cancer 1998;82(11):2135–2144. CrossRef
- O’Connell MJ, Laurie JA, Kahn M, Fitzgibbons RJ Jr, Erlichman C, Shepherd L, et al. Prospectively randomized trial of postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with high-risk colon cancer. J Clin Oncol 1998;16(1):295–300.
- Laurie JA, Moertel CG, Fleming TR, Wieand HS, Leigh JE, Rubin J, et al. Surgical adjuvant therapy of large-bowel carcinoma: an evaluation of levamisole and the combination of levamisole and fluorouracil. The North Central Cancer Treatment Group and the Mayo Clinic. J Clin Oncol 1989;7(10):1447–1456.
- Francini G, Petrioli R, Lorenzini L, Mancini S, Armenio S, Tanzini G, et al. Folinic acid and 5-fluorouracil as adjuvant chemotherapy in colon cancer. Gastroenterology 1994;106(4): 899–906.
- Arora A, Potter J. Older patients with colon cancer: is adjuvant chemotherapy safe and effective? J Am Geriatr Soc 2003;51(4): 567–569. CrossRef
- Neugut AI, Matasar M, Wang X, McBride R, Jacobson JS, Tsai WY, et al. Duration of adjuvant chemotherapy for colon cancer and survival among the elderly. J Clin Oncol 2006;24(15): 2368–2375. CrossRef
- Iwashyna TJ, Lamont EB. Effectiveness of adjuvant fluorouracil in clinical practice: a population-based cohort study of elderly patients with stage III colon cancer. J Clin Oncol 2002;20(19): 3992–3998. CrossRef
- Jessup JM, Stewart A, Greene FL, Minsky BD. Adjuvant chemotherapy for stage III colon cancer: implications of race/ethnicity, age, and differentiation. JAMA 2005;294(21):2703–2711. CrossRef
- Sundararajan V, Mitra N, Jacobson JS, Grann VR, Heitjan DF, Neugut AI. Survival associated with 5-fluorouracil-based adjuvant chemotherapy among elderly patients with node-positive colon cancer. Ann Intern Med 2002;136(5):349–357.
- Retornaz F, Monette J, Batist G, Monette M, Sourial N, Small D, et al. Usefulness of frailty markers in the assessment of the health and functional status of older cancer patients referred for chemotherapy: a pilot study. J Gerontol 2008;63(5):518–522.
- Hata F, Sasaki K, Hirata K, Yamamitsu S, Shirasaka T. Efficacy of a continuous venous infusion of fluorouracil and daily divided dose cisplatin as adjuvant therapy in resectable colorectal cancer: a prospective randomized trial. Surg Today 2008;38(7):623–632. CrossRef
- Koh PK, Seow-Choen F. Multicentre prospective randomized trials are not always relevant to surgeons. Aust NZ J Surg 2006;76(5):286–287. CrossRef
- The evidence for adjuvant treatment of elderly patients (age ≥ 70) with stage III colon cancer is inconclusive
Volume 40, Issue 4 , pp 385-387
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Stage III colon cancer
- Adjuvant treatment
- Industry Sectors