Clinical and pathological features of intracystic papillary carcinoma of the breast
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To evaluate the clinicopathological features of intracystic papillary carcinoma (ICPC), which have not been established given its rarity and lack of standard diagnostic criteria.
We reviewed the clinicopathological findings and treatment outcomes of 14 patients with ICPC diagnosed between 2002 and 2006.
Intracystic papillary carcinoma was diagnosed by fine-needle aspiration biopsy in three patients and by core-needle biopsy in six patients. A preoperative diagnosis was not made in five patients. Three patients underwent magnetic resonance imaging preoperatively, which helped to differentiate benign tumors and maintain free surgical margins. The final pathological diagnosis was invasive carcinoma in 2 (14.2%) of the 14 patients. The patients were followed up for 1–72 months, during which time only one died, of a cancer-unrelated cause.
Our results show that ICPC is more difficult to diagnose than common breast cancer preoperatively. Excisional biopsy was necessary when fine-needle aspiration and core-needle biopsy could not provide a diagnosis. Magnetic resonance imaging is helpful to differentiate a benign tumor from invasive disease.
Supplementary Material (0)
- MacGrogan G, Moinfar F, Raju U. Tumors of the breast and female genital organs (WHO/IARC classification of tumors). 1st ed. Lyon: IARC Press; 2003. p. 79–80.
- Hashimoto Y, Hito Y, Koike M, Itakura M, Yano S. Four cases of intracystic breast cancer (in Japanese). Geka (J Jpn Surg) 2006;68:365–370.
- Okita R, Ohsumi S, Takashima S, Aogi K, Nishimura R. Synchronous liver metastases of intracystic papillary carcinoma with invasion of the breast. Breast Cancer 2005;12:327–330. CrossRef
- Collins LC, Carlo VP, Hwang H, Barry TS, Grown AM, Schnitt SJ. Intracystic papillary carcinoma of the breast: a reevaluation using a panel of myoepithelial cell markers. Am J Surg Pathol 2006;30:1002–1007. CrossRef
- Ko KH, Kim EK, Park BW. Invasive papillary carcinoma of the breast presenting as posttraumatic recurrent hemorrhagic cysts. Yonsei Med J 2006;31:575–577. CrossRef
- Tochika N, Takano A, Yoshimoto T, Tanaka J, Sugimoto T, Kobayashi M, et al. Intracystic carcinoma of the male breast: report of a case. Surg Today 2001;31:806–809. CrossRef
- Bilous M, Dosett M, Hanna W, Isola J, Lebeau A, Moreno A, et al. Current perspectives on HER2 testing: a review of national testing guidelines. Mod Pathol 2003;16:173–182. CrossRef
- Czernobilsky B. Intracystic carcinoma of the female breast. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1967;124:93–98.
- McKittrick JE, Doane WA, Failing RM. Intracystic papillary carcinoma of the breast. Am Surg 1969;35:195–202.
- Yamashita A, Yoshimoto T, Iwase T, Watanabe S, Kasumi F. Clinicopathological images of intracystic breast carcinoma (in Japanese with English abstract). Nihon Rinnsyogeka Gakkaizasshi (J Jpn Soc Clin Surg) 1994;55:2726–2731.
- Hayashi T, Nishida M, Sato K, Yamasaki T, Takami K, Hiraide H. Study of intracystic tumors lesions of the breast experienced at the department (in Japanese with English abstract). Nihon Rinnsyogeka Gakkaizasshi (J Jpn Soc Clin Surg) 1996;57:2355–2359.
- Saikawa Y, Kosaka A, Eight cases of intracystic cancer of the breast (in Japanese with English abstract). Nihon Rinnsyogeka Gakkaizasshi (J Jpn Soc Clin Surg) 1991;52:2887–2890.
- Kusuma R, Takayama F, Tsuchiya S. MRI of the breast: comparison of MRI signals and histological characteristics of the same slices. Med Mol Morphol 2005;38:204–215. CrossRef
- Inayoshi A, Oshiro Y, Machida H. Evaluation of ultrasonography and needle aspiration cytology for intracystic tumors of the breast (in Japanese with English abstract). Nihon Rinnsyogeka Gakkaizasshi (J Jpn Soc Clin Surg) 1999;60:893–897.
About this Article
- Clinical and pathological features of intracystic papillary carcinoma of the breast
Volume 39, Issue 1 , pp 5-8
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Intracystic papillary carcinoma
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Breast Surgery, National Cancer Center Hospital, 5-1-1 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-0045, Japan
- 2. Pathological Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, 5-1-1 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-0045, Japan