Delayed traumatic diaphragmatic hernia after open splenectomy: Report of a case
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A 50-year-old man experienced sudden chest pain radiating into his left shoulder about 16 months after undergoing an open splenectomy for malignant splenic lymphoma. As the patient did not respond to conservative therapy, he was transferred to our hospital. Computed tomography of the chest showed that the upper stomach had herniated into the thoracic cavity. Emergency surgery revealed that the hernial sac was partially torn and open to the thoracic cavity. We sutured the hernial orifice closed and performed Dor fundoplication. Although sporadic reports on this type of hernia following laparoscopic surgery have been reported, delayed diaphragmatic hernia following open splenectomy is rare.
- McArthur KE. Hernias and volvulus of the gastrointestinal tract. In: Feldman M, Scharschmidt BF, Sleisenger MH, editors. Gastrointestinal and liver disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders; 1998. p. 317–331.
- Reina A, Vidana E, Soriano P, Orte A, Ferrer M, Herrera E, et al. Traumatic intrapericardial diaphragmatic hernia: case report and literature review. Injury 2001;32:153–156. CrossRef
- Sacco R, Quitadamo S, Rotolo N, Di Nuzzo D, Mucilli F. Traumatic diaphragmatic repture: personal experience. Acta Biomed Ateneo Parmense 2003;74Suppl 2:71–73.
- van Loenhout RM, Schiphorst TJ, Wittens CH, Pinckaers JA. Traumatic intrapericardial diaphragmatic hernia. J Trauma 1986;26:271–275.
- Feliciano DV, Cruse PA, Mattox KL, Bitondo CG, Burch JM, Noon GP, et al. Delayed diagnosis on injury to the diaphragm after penetrating wounds. J Trauma 1988;28:1135–1144. CrossRef
- Armstrong PA, Miller SF, Brown GR. Diaphragmatic hernia seen as a late complication of laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Endosc 1999;13:817–818. CrossRef
- Gomez-Arnau J, Novoa N, Isidro MG, Plaza A, Galindo F, Ezquerro C. Ruptured hemidiaphragm after bilateral lung transplantation. Eur J Anaesthesiol 1999;16:259–262. CrossRef
- Targarona EM, Espert JJ, Bombuy E, Vidal O, Cerdan G, Artigas V, et al. Complication of laparoscopic splenectomy. Arch Surg 2000;135:1137–1140. CrossRef
- Shah S, Matthews BD, Sing RF, Heniford BT. Laparoscopic repair of a chronic diaphragmatic hernia. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2000;10:182–186. CrossRef
- Reddy VS, Phan HH, O’neill JA, Neblett WW, Pietsch JB, Morgan WM, et al. Laparoscopic versus open splenectomy in the pediatric population: a contemporary single-center experience. Am Surg 2001;67:859–864.
- Sugita M, Nagahori K, Kudo T, Yamanaka K, Obi Y, Shizawa R, et al. Diaphragmatic hernia resulting from injury during microwave-assisted laparoscopic hepatectomy. Surg Endosc 2003;17:1849–1850. CrossRef
- Delayed traumatic diaphragmatic hernia after open splenectomy: Report of a case
Volume 38, Issue 4 , pp 352-354
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Diaphragmatic hernia
- Delayed complication
- Industry Sectors