Efficacy of Continuous Low-Dose Human Atrial Natriuretic Peptide Given from the Beginning of Cardiopulmonary Bypass for Thoracic Aortic Surgery
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Cardiac surgery performed under cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) causes abnormalities of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, resulting in decreased urine output and an accumulation of water in the third space. We studied the efficacy of continuous low-dose human atrial natriuretic peptide (hANP) in patients undergoing thoracic aortic surgery.
We divided 40 patients undergoing thoracic aortic surgery into two groups: the hANP group, which received 0.02 μg/kg per minute of hANP and the non-hANP group, which did not. The hemodynamics, urine output, intensive care unit (ICU) and hospital stay, bleeding volume, homologous blood transfusion volume, furosemide dose, corrected KCl volume, and postoperative respiratory, hepatic, and renal function were compared in the two groups.
The urine output during CPB and from CPB weaning to return to ICU was significantly better in the hANP group. The bleeding volume, homologous blood transfusion volume, furosemide dose, and corrected KCl volume were all significantly less in the hANP group.
These findings support the consensus that hANP exerts its diuretic effects to their full potential when administered continuously at low doses during thoracic aortic surgery. We found it to be effective for postoperative hemostasis and for preventing ischemic reperfusion injury.
- de Bold, AJ, Borenstein, HB, Veress, AT, Sonnenberg, H (1981) A rapid and potent natriuretic response to intravenous injection of artial myocardial extract in rats. Life Sci 28: pp. 89-94 CrossRef
- Kangawa, K, Matsuo, H (1984) Purification and complete amino acid sequence of α human atrial matriuretic polypeptide (α-hANP). Biochem Biophys Res Commun 118: pp. 131-9 CrossRef
- Chu, A, Morris, KG, Kuehl, WD, Cusma, J, navetta, F, Cobb, FR (1989) Effects of atrial natriuretic peptide on the coronary vasculature in humans. Circulation 80: pp. 1627-35
- Saito, Y, Nakao, K, Nishimura, K, Sugawara, A, Okumura, K, Obata, K (1987) Clinical application of atrial natriuretic polypeptide in patients with congestive heart failure: beneficial effects of left ventricular function. Circulation 76: pp. 115-24
- Nakao, K, Ogawa, Y, Suga, S, Imura, H (1992) Molecular biology and biochemistry of the natriuretic peptide system. I: Natriuretic peptides. J Hypertens 10: pp. 907-12
- Maack, Y, Marison, DN, Camargo, MJE, Kleinert, HD, Laragh, JH, Vaughan, ED (1984) Effects of synthetic atrial natriuretic factor on kidney function and the renin-aldosterone system in the dogs. Am J Med 77: pp. 1069-75 CrossRef
- Hayashi, M, Tsutamoto, T, Wada, A, Maeda, K, Mabuchi, N, Tsutsui, T (2001) Inravenous atrial natriuretic peptide prevents left ventricular remodeling in patients with first anterior acute myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 37: pp. 1820-6 CrossRef
- Soualmia, H, Barthelemy, C, Eurin, J, Masson, F, Carayon, A (2001) Role of nitric oxide and atrial natriuretic peptide release induced by angiotensin II in superfused rat atrial tissue. Regul Pept 98: pp. 105-10 CrossRef
- Sezai, A, Shiono, M, Orime, Y, Hata, H, Hata, M, Negishi, N (2000) Low-dose continuous infusion of human atrial natriuretic peptide during and after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 69: pp. 732-8 CrossRef
- Nishimura, K, Matsuda, K, Konno, S, Sugimoto, A, Koshiji, T, Ikeda, T (1997) Beneficial effect of synthetic human atrial natriuretic polypeptide on renal function in a patient with giant atria. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 113: pp. 793-5 CrossRef
- Hiramatsu, T, Imai, Y, Takanashi, Y, Seo, K, Terada, M, Iwata, Y (1998) Hemodynamic effects of human atrial natriuretic peptide after modified Fontan procedure. Ann Thorac Surg 65: pp. 761-4 CrossRef
- Valsson, F, Ricksten, SE, Hender, T, Lundin, S (1996) Effects of atrial natriuretic peptide on acute renal impairment in patients with heart failure after cardiac surgery. Intensive Care Med 22: pp. 230-6 CrossRef
- Rahman, SN, Kim, GE, Mathew, AS, Goldberg, CA, Allgren, R, Schrier, RW (1994) Effects of atrial natriuretic peptide in clinical acute renal failure. Kidney Int 45: pp. 1731-8
- Efficacy of Continuous Low-Dose Human Atrial Natriuretic Peptide Given from the Beginning of Cardiopulmonary Bypass for Thoracic Aortic Surgery
Volume 36, Issue 6 , pp 508-514
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Aortic surgery
- Atrial natriuretic factor
- Natriuretic peptide
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- A1. Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Nihon University School of Medicine, 30-1 Oyaguchi-kamimachi, Itabashi-ku, Tokyo, 173-8610, Japan