An adult choledochal cyst—the magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography findings: Report of a case
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We herein report an unusual adult patient with a congenital choledochal cyst. A 28-year-old woman presented with recurrent episodes of abdominal pain in the right upper quadrant. Abdominal ultrasonography showed fusiform dilatation of the common bile duct without any obstruction. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) and magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) were performed to make a precise diagnosis. No abnormal pancreatobiliary junction was detected on ERCP. The MRCP images more clearly defined the type and extent of the choledochal cyst as observed at surgery. The cyst and gallbladder were excised and a Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy was performed. We also reviewed the relevant English literature and concluded that MRCP offers diagnostic information that is equivalent or superior to that of ERCP for the evaluation of type I choledochal cysts in adults and because this modality is noninvasive, it should therefore be the preferred imaging technique for an examination of adult patients with choledochal cysts.
- Nagorney DM. Bile duct cysts in adults. In: Blumgart LH, Fong Y, editors. Surgery of the liver and biliary tract. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2000. p. 1299–1344.
- Todani T, Watanabe Y, Narusue M, Tabuchi K, Okajima K. Congenital bile duct cysts: classification, operative procedure and review of thirty seven cases including cancer arising from choledochal cyst. Am J Surg 1977;134:263–269. CrossRef
- Liu CL, Fan ST, Lo CM, Lam CM, Poon RT, Wong J. Choledochal cysts in adults. Arch Surg 2002;137:465–468. CrossRef
- Irie H, Honda H, Jimi M, Yokohata K, Chijiiwa K, Kuroiwa T, et al. Value of MR cholangiopancreatography in evaluating choledochal cysts. AJR 1998;71:1381–1385.
- Matos C, Nicaise N, Deviere J, Cassart M, Metens T, Struyven, et al. Choledochal cysts: comparison of finding at MR cholangiopancreatograpy and endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in eight patient. Radiology 1998;209:443–448.
- An adult choledochal cyst—the magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography findings: Report of a case
Volume 38, Issue 11 , pp 1056-1059
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Choledochal cyst
- Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Second Clinic of General Surgery, Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
- 4. 215 sokak 27/7, Basın Sitesi, 35360, Izmir, Turkey
- 2. Clinic of Gastroenterology, Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
- 3. Clinic of Radiology, Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey