Prevalence of diabetes in patients with nonacute CAD
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The relationship between coronary artery disease (CAD) and diabetes is widely documented [1–3], and diabetic patients present a worse CV outcome in respect to nondiabetic patients .
Recently, the physiopathology of CV risk in patients affected by undiagnosed or newly detected diabetes is matter of great interest [5, 6].
Actually, the prevalence of diabetes in CAD patients is not clearly estimated because diagnosis is generally based on not exhaustive criteria, such as history of diabetes or hyperglycemia during acute events.
We aimed to evaluate the true prevalence of diabetes in nonacute patients affected by CAD, as assessed by coronary angiography.
Six hundred and seventy nine patients admitted from November 2008 to November 2009 in the Cardiology Ward of University of Naples to perform angiography for suspect CAD were assessed for eligibility.
Patients with coronary acute events in the last 4 week and subjects without angiographically detectable CAD were excluded. Moreover, tr
- Kannel WB, McGee DL (1978) Diabetes and cardiovascular risk factors in the Framingham Study. JAMA 38:46–51
- Stamler J, Vaccaro O, Neaton J, Wentworth D (1993) Diabetes, other risk factors, and 12-yr cardiovascular mortality for men screened in the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial. Diabetes Care 16:434–444 CrossRef
- Rizza S, Cardellini M, Martelli E, Porzio O, Pecchioli C, Nicolucci A, Marx N, Lauro D, Ippoliti A, Romeo F, Lauro R, Federici M (2010) Occult impaired glucose regulation in patients with atherosclerosis is associated to the number of affected vascular districts and inflammation. Atherosclerosis 212(1):316–320 CrossRef
- Haffner SM, Lehto S, Ronnemaa T, Pyörälä K, Laakso M (1998) Mortality from coronary heart disease in subjects with type 2 diabetes and in nondiabetic subjects with and without prior myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 339:229–234 CrossRef
- Rizza S, Clementi F, Porzio O, Cardellini M, Savo A, Serino M, Chiricolo G, Romeo F, Lauro R, Federici M (2009) Adiponectin isoforms are not associated with the severity of coronary atherosclerosis but with undiagnosed diabetes in patients affected by stable CAD. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19(1):54–60 CrossRef
- Füth R, Dinh W, Bansemir L, Ziegler G, Bufe A, Wolfertz J, Scheffold T, Lankisch M (2009) Newly detected glucose disturbance is associated with a high prevalence of diastolic dysfunction: double risk for the development of heart failure? Acta Diabetol 46(4):335–338 CrossRef
- Position statement (2009) Standards of medical care in diabetes-2009. Diabetes Care 32:S13–S61 CrossRef
- Gaede P, Lund-Andersen H, Parving HH, Pedersen O (2008) Effect of a multifactorial intervention on mortality in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 358:580–591 CrossRef
- Prevalence of diabetes in patients with nonacute CAD
Volume 48, Issue 3 , pp 247-248
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Milan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Experimental and Internal Medicine, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
- 2. Department of Cardiology, University of Naples “Federico II”, Naples, Italy