Froin’s syndrome: an uncommon mimicker of Guillain–Barre syndrome
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We read with interest the article by Zimmerer et al.  on the clinical and treatment aspects of spinal epidural abscess (SEA). At the outset we would like to congratulate the authors on the thorough and concise review of this uncommon condition.
As noted by the authors, SEA is found in 0.2–2.8 cases per 10,000 hospital admissions, thus, requiring a high degree of clinical suspicion in their diagnosis . Further as seen in the study, patients oftentimes present with non-specific back pain thus making the diagnosis difficult. The severity and the location of weakness depend on the location of the abscess; with the most common site being thoracolumbar region . MRI spine with and without (wwo) contrast is the diagnostic modality of choice with all patients in the study being diagnosed by it .
However in early stages of SEA, MRI can remain inconclusive  and due to spinal shock, patient can be hyporeflexic and a sensory level might not yet have been formed. Thus, a thoraco-lumbar ...
- Zimmerer SM, Conen A, Müller AA, Sailer M, Taub E, Flückiger U, Schwenzer-Zimmerer KC (2011) Spinal epidural abscess: aetiology, predisponent factors and clinical outcomes in a 4-year prospective study. Eur Spine J 20(12):2228–2234
- Martin RJ, Yuan HA (1996) Neurosurgical care of spinal epidural, subdural, and intramedullary abscesses and arachnoiditis. Orthop Clin North Am 27:125–136
- Mackenzie AR, Laing RB, Smith CC, Kaar GF, Smith FW (1998) Spinal epidural abscess: the importance of early diagnosis and treatment. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 65:209–212 CrossRef
- Khanna RK, Malik GM, Rock JP et al (1996) Spinal epidural abscess: evaluation of factors influencing outcome. Neurosurgery 39:958–964
- Froin’s syndrome: an uncommon mimicker of Guillain–Barre syndrome
European Spine Journal
Volume 21, Issue 8 , pp 1674-1675
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors