Pharmacokinetics and safety of 6 % hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4 in healthy male volunteers of Japanese ethnicity after single infusion of 500 ml solution
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This phase I study was performed in volunteers of Japanese ethnicity to compare pharmacokinetic data after infusion of 6 % hydroxyethyl starch (HES) 130/0.4 with historical data of Caucasians.
In an open-label, uncontrolled, single-center study, 12 healthy male Japanese volunteers received single intravenous infusions of 500 ml 6 % HES 130/0.4 (Voluven 6 %; Fresenius Kabi Deutschland, Bad Homburg, Germany) over 30 min.
Plasma concentration of 6 % HES 130/0.4 was highest at end of infusion (5.53 ± 0.55 mg/ml) and decreased following a biphasic manner. Total plasma clearance and rapid and slow elimination half-lives obtained by a two-compartment model were 1.14 ± 0.16 l/h, 1.12 ± 0.26 h, and 9.98 ± 2.38 h, respectively, and the volume of distribution was 4.76 ± 0.64 l. Mean area under the concentration–time curve was 26.7 ± 3.75 mg/ml h. The total amount of HES excreted into urine was 59.4 % of the applied dose. Hemodilution was observed in all 12 subjects as indicated by a decrease of hemoglobin from 15.5 ± 0.4 g/dl at baseline to 13.8 ± 0.4 g/dl after the end of infusion. Adverse events in this study refer to changes of laboratory parameters and were assessed as not clinically relevant.
Single administration of a 500 ml solution of 6 % HES 130/0.4 was confirmed to be safe and tolerable in healthy male Japanese subjects. A rapid renal excretion was observed within 24 h after drug administration, accounting for 96 % of the total amount excreted. A comparison with pharmacokinetic data derived from Caucasians did not reveal significant differences to Japanese and confirmed the good tolerability in both ethnic groups.
- Pharmacokinetics and safety of 6 % hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4 in healthy male volunteers of Japanese ethnicity after single infusion of 500 ml solution
Journal of Anesthesia
Volume 26, Issue 6 , pp 851-857
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Hydroxyethyl starch
- 6 % HES 130/0.4
- Japanese healthy male volunteers
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anesthesiology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, South 1, West 16, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 060-8543, Japan
- 2. Fresenius Kabi Deutschland, Bad Homburg, Germany
- 3. M.A.R.C.O. Institute for Clinical Research and Statistics, Düsseldorf, Germany
- 4. Department of Anesthesiology, Saitama Medical Center, Saitama Medical University, Kawagoe, Japan