High mortality associated with intracardiac and intrapulmonary thromboses after cardiopulmonary bypass
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Intrapulmonary or intracardiac thrombosis is a rare but catastrophic event following complex cardiothoracic surgery. Although there have been multiple cases reported in the literature, the causes of these events are largely unknown. In this retrospective review, we attempt to identify risk factors and propose possible mechanisms of thromboses after cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB).
A literature search was conducted using the MEDLINE and EMBASE with these keywords: (intra)pulmonary thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, pulmonary infarction, lung embolism, (intra)cardiac thrombosis, cardiac thrombi, in combination with CPB, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, deep hypothermic circulatory arrest, or cardiac surgery. Putative risk factors were compiled from reported cases.
We identified 34 cases of massive intrapulmonary and/or intracardiac thromboses. All but 2 cases (94.1%) were fatal. Clinical presentations were systemic hypotension and/or pulmonary hypertension, right ventricular failure, and cardiogenic shock in 32 (94.1%) cases. The timing was immediate (<10 min) following hemostatic intervention in 16 cases (47.1%), within 45 min in 8 cases (23.5%), and not reported in the rest. Putative risk factors included antifibrinolytic use (88.2%), congestive heart failure (55.9%), prolonged CPB use (>2 h) (41.1%), and low activated clotting time (<400 s) after initial heparinization (20.6%). The administration of tissue plasminogen activator in 5 cases was ineffective.
Massive thrombosis following cardiac surgery is a highly lethal event with limited treatment options. Particular attention should be paid to the status of thrombin regulatory proteins before protamine and other hemostatic interventions in patients undergoing complex cardiac surgery with antifibrinolytic agents.
- Rauch U, Osende JI, Fuster V, Badimon JJ, Fayad Z, Chesebro JH. Thrombus formation on atherosclerotic plaques: pathogenesis and clinical consequences. Ann Intern Med. 2001;134:224–38.
- Despotis GJ, Gravlee G, Filos K, Levy J. Anticoagulation monitoring during cardiac surgery: a review of current and emerging techniques. Anesthesiology. 1999;91:1122–51. CrossRef
- Blome M, Isgro F, Kiessling AH, Skuras J, Haubelt H, Hellstern P, Saggau W. Relationship between factor XIII activity, fibrinogen, haemostasis screening tests and postoperative bleeding in cardiopulmonary bypass surgery. Thromb Haemost. 2005;93:1101–7.
- Ide M, Bolliger D, Taketomi T, Tanaka KA. Lessons from the aprotinin saga: current perspective on antifibrinolytic therapy in cardiac surgery. J Anesth. 2010;24:96–106. CrossRef
- Green JA, Spiess BD. Current status of antifibrinolytics in cardiopulmonary bypass and elective deep hypothermic circulatory arrest. Anesthesiol Clin N Am. 2003;21:527–51. CrossRef
- Nuttall GA, Oliver WC, Santrach PJ, Bryant S, Dearani JA, Schaff HV, Ereth MH. Efficacy of a simple intraoperative transfusion algorithm for nonerythrocyte component utilization after cardiopulmonary bypass. Anesthesiology. 2001;94:773–81. CrossRef
- Sniecinski RM, Chen EP, Levy JH, Szlam F, Tanaka KA. Coagulopathy after cardiopulmonary bypass in Jehovah’s Witness patients: management of two cases using fractionated components and factor VIIa. Anesth Analg. 2007;104:763–5. CrossRef
- Kohler M, Hellstern P, Lechler E, Uberfuhr P, Muller-Berghaus G. Thromboembolic complications associated with the use of prothrombin complex and factor IX concentrates. Thromb Haemost. 1998;80:399–402.
- Heindl B, Delorenzo C, Spannagl M. High dose fibrinogen administration for acute therapy of coagulopathy during massive perioperative transfusion. Anaesthesist. 2005;54:787–90. CrossRef
- Warnaar N, Molenaar IQ, Colquhoun SD, Slooff MJH, Sherwani S, de Wolf AM, Porte RJ. Intraoperative pulmonary embolism and intracardiac thrombosis complicating liver transplantation: a systematic review. J Thromb Haemost. 2008;6:297–302.
- Augoustides JG. Fatal intraoperative thrombosis in contemporary adult thoracic aortic surgery requiring deep hypothermic circulatory arrest: observations from the literature, 1993–2006. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007;134:1069–70. CrossRef
- Augoustides JG. Fatal thrombosis in complex cardiac surgery without deep hypothermic circulatory arrest in the setting of standard-of-care heparinization: status quo and directions for further research. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007;134:1053–4. CrossRef
- Levi M, Levy JH, Andersen HF, Truloff D. Safety of recombinant activated factor VII in randomized clinical trials. N Engl J Med. 2010;363:1791–800. CrossRef
- Umbrain V, Christiaens F, Camu F. Intraoperative coronary thrombosis: can aprotinin and protamine be incriminated? J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 1994;8:198–201. CrossRef
- Alderman EL, Levy JH, Rich JB, Nili M, Vidne B, Schaff H, Uretzky G, Pettersson G, Thiis JJ, Hantler CB, Chaitman B, Nadel A. Analyses of coronary graft patency after aprotinin use: results from the International Multicenter Aprotinin Graft Patency Experience (IMAGE) trial. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1998;116:716–30. CrossRef
- Chun R, Poon M-C, Haigh J, Seal D, Donahue B, Royston D. Case 1–2005: cardiac surgery in congenital afibrinogenemia with thrombo-occlusive disease. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2005;19:109–17. CrossRef
- Sundt TM 3rd, Kouchoukos NT, Saffitz JE, Murphy SF, Wareing TH, Stahl DJ. Renal dysfunction and intravascular coagulation with aprotinin and hypothermic circulatory arrest. Ann Thorac Surg. 1993;55:1418–24. CrossRef
- Saffitz JE, Stahl DJ, Sundt TM, Wareing TH, Kouchoukos NT. Disseminated intravascular coagulation after administration of aprotinin in combination with deep hypothermic circulatory arrest. Am J Cardiol. 1993;72:1080–2. CrossRef
- Bui JD, Despotis GD, Trulock EP, Alexander Patterson G, Goodnough LT. Fatal thrombosis after administration of activated prothrombin complex concentrates in a patient supported by extracorporeal membrane oxygenation who had received activated recombinant factor VII. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2002;124:852–4. CrossRef
- Swaminathan M, Shaw AD, Greenfield RA, Grichnik KP. Fatal thrombosis after factor seven administration during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2008;22:259–60. CrossRef
- Lukauskis K, Banks D. Factor IX complex: help or harm? (abstract). In: 33rd Annual Meeting of Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists in Savannah, GA, USA. 2011.
- Apostolidou I, Sweeney MF, Missov E, Joyce LD, John R, Prielipp RC. Acute left atrial thrombus after recombinant factor VIIa administration during left ventricular assist device implantation in a patient with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Anesth Analg. 2008;106:404–8. CrossRef
- Lichtman AD, Carullo V, Minhaj M, Karkouti K. Case 6–2007: massive intraoperative thrombosis and death after recombinant activated factor VII administration. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2007;21:897–902. CrossRef
- Gitter R, Alivizators P, Capehart J, Ramsay M, Jett GK. Aprotinin and aortic cannula thrombosis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1996;112:537–8. CrossRef
- Alvarez JM, Goldstein J, Mezzatesta J, Flanagan B, Dodd M. Fatal intraoperative pulmonary thrombosis after graft replacement of an aneurysm of the arch and descending aorta in association with deep hypothermic circulatory arrest and aprotinin therapy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1998;115:723–4. CrossRef
- Heindel SW, Mill MR, Freid EB, Valley RD, White GC, Norfleet EA. Fatal thrombosis associated with a hemi-Fontan procedure, heparin–protamine reversal, and aprotinin. Anesthesiology. 2001;94:369–71. CrossRef
- Fanashawe MP, Shore-Lesserson L, Reich DL. Two cases of fatal thrombosis after aminocaproic acid therapy and deep hypothermic circulatory arrest. Anesthesiology. 2001;95:1525–7. CrossRef
- Ramsey MAE, Marcel RJ, Capehart J, Cheung EH, Ring WS. Massive intravascular thrombosis and thromboembolism after cardiopulmonary bypass. Internet J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003;5. http://www.ispub.com.
- Lagare JF, Arora R, Wood JW. Massive intracavitary clot formation during cardiopulmonary bypass. Can J Cardiol. 2004;20:825–6.
- Augoustides JGT, Lin J, Gambone AJ, Cheung AT. Fatal thrombosis in an adult after thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair with aprotinin and deep hypothermic circulatory arrest. Anesthesiology. 2005;103:215–6. CrossRef
- Augoustides JG, Kilbaugh T, Harris H, Glick JH, Acker M, Savino JS. Fatal thrombosis after mitral valve replacement for endocarditis: aprotinin and disseminated intravascular coagulation. Anesthesiology. 2006;104:213. CrossRef
- Shore-Lesserson L, Reich DL. A case of severe diffuse venous thromboembolism associated with aprotinin and hypothermic circulatory arrest in a cardiac surgical patient with factor V Leiden. Anesthesiology. 2006;105:219–21. CrossRef
- Kottenberg-Assenmacher E, Volbracht L, Jakob H, Greinacher A, Peters J. Disseminated intravascular clotting associated with Fc-receptor IIa-mediated platelet activation in a patient with endocarditis after aortic valve replacement. Br J Anaesth. 2006;97:630–3. CrossRef
- Schmitz A, Hartmann M. Acute intracardiac thrombus formation during thoracoabdominal aortic surgery. Anesth Analg. 2006;102:1658–9. CrossRef
- Neira VM, Sawchuk C, Bonneville KS, Chu V, Warkentin TE. Case report: management of immediate post-cardiopulmonary bypass massive intra-cardiac thrombosis. Can J Anaesth. 2007;54:461–6. CrossRef
- Trigo P, Stone M, Fisher G. A patient presenting for concurrent thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair and left ventricular assist device placement (abstract). In: 33rd Annual Meeting of Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists in Savannah, GA, USA. 2011.
- Stone ME, Silverman SH, Nomoto K. Intracardiac thrombosis and acute right ventricular failure following complex reoperative cardiac surgery with aprotinin and deep hypothermic circulatory arrest. Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2007;11:177–84. CrossRef
- Cooper JR Jr, Abrams J, Frazier OH, Radovancevic R, Radovancevic B, Bracey AW, Kindo MJ, Gregoric ID. Fatal pulmonary microthrombi during surgical therapy for end-stage heart failure: possible association with antifibrinolytic therapy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2006;131:963–8. CrossRef
- Donahue BS, Gailani D, Mast AE. Disposition of tissue factor pathway inhibitor during cardiopulmonary bypass. J Thromb Haemost. 2006;4:1011–6. CrossRef
- Journois D, Mauriat P, Pouard P, Marchot P, Amiral J, Safran D. Assessment of coagulation factor activation during cardiopulmonary bypass with a new monoclonal antibody. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 1994;8:157–61. CrossRef
- Boyle EM Jr, Verrier ED, Spiess BD. Endothelial cell injury in cardiovascular surgery: the procoagulant response. Ann Thorac Surg. 1996;62:1549–57. CrossRef
- Ernofsson M, Thelin S, Siegbahn A. Monocyte tissue factor expression, cell activation, and thrombin formation during cardiopulmonary bypass: a clinical study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1997;113:576–84. CrossRef
- Sniecinski RM, Chen EP, Tanaka KA. Reduced levels of fibrin (antithrombin I) and antithrombin III underlie coagulopathy following complex cardiac surgery. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2008;19:178–9. CrossRef
- Ogawa S, Szlam F, Chen EP, Nishimura T, Kim H, Roback JD, Levy JH, Tanaka KA. A comparative evaluation of rotation thromboelastometry and standard coagulation tests in hemodilution-induced coagulation changes after cardiac surgery. Transfusion. 2011. doi:10.1111/j.1537-2995.2011.03241.x
- Ruggeri ZM, Dent JA, Saldivar E. Contribution of distinct adhesive interactions to platelet aggregation in flowing blood. Blood. 1999;94:172–8.
- Ni H, Denis CV, Subbarao S, Degen JL, Sato TN, Hynes RO, Wagner DD. Persistence of platelet thrombus formation in arterioles of mice lacking both von Willebrand factor and fibrinogen. J Clin Invest. 2000;106:385–92. CrossRef
- Mosesson MW. Update on antithrombin I (fibrin). Thromb Haemost. 2007;98:105–8.
- Hathcock JJ, Nemerson Y. Platelet deposition inhibits tissue factor activity: in vitro clots are impermeable to factor Xa. Blood. 2004;104:123–7. CrossRef
- Elliott MA, Chen MG, Silverstein MN, Tefferi A. Splenic irradiation for symptomatic splenomegaly associated with myelofibrosis with myeloid metaplasia. Br J Haematol. 1998;103:505–11. CrossRef
- Lentz SR, Tsiang M, Sadler JE. Regulation of thrombomodulin by tumor necrosis factor-alpha: comparison of transcriptional and posttranscriptional mechanisms. Blood. 1991;77:542–50.
- Raivio P, Fernandez JA, Kuitunen A, Griffin JH, Lassila R, Petaja J. Activation of protein C and hemodynamic recovery after coronary artery bypass surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007;133:44–51. CrossRef
- Sniecinski R, Szlam F, Chen EP, Bader SO, Levy JH, Tanaka KA. Antithrombin deficiency increases thrombin activity after prolonged cardiopulmonary bypass. Anesth Analg. 2008;106:713–8. CrossRef
- Maslow A, Lowenstein E, Steriti J, Leckie R, Cohn W, Haering M. Left ventricular thrombi: intraoperative detection by transesophageal echocardiography and recognition of a source of post CABG embolic stroke: a case series. Anesthesiology. 1998;89:1257–62. CrossRef
- Planinsic RM, Nicolau-Raducu R, Eghtesad B, Marcos A. Diagnosis and treatment of intracardiac thrombosis during orthotopic liver transplantation. Anesth Analg. 2004;99:353–6. CrossRef
- Jackson D, Botea A, Gubenko Y, Delphin E, Bennett H. Successful intraoperative use of recombinant tissue plasminogen activator during liver transplantation complicated by massive intracardiac/pulmonary thrombosis. Anesth Analg. 2006;102:724–8. CrossRef
- Krishnamurti C, Vukelja SJ, Alving BM. Inhibitory effects of lysine analogues on t-PA induced whole blood clot lysis. Thromb Res. 1994;73:419–30. CrossRef
- Stassen JM, Lambeir AM, Matthyssens G, Ripka WC, Nystrom A, Sixma JJ, Vermylen J. Characterisation of a novel series of aprotinin-derived anticoagulants. I. In vitro and pharmacological properties. Thromb Haemost. 1995;74:646–54.
- Diamond SL, Anand S. Inner clot diffusion and permeation during fibrinolysis. Biophys J. 1993;65:2622–43. CrossRef
- Despotis GJ, Joist JH, Hogue CW, Alsoufiev A, Joiner-Maier D, Santoro SA, Spitznagel E, Weitz JI, Goodnough LT. More effective suppression of hemostatic system activation in patients undergoing cardiac surgery by heparin dosing based on heparin blood concentrations rather than ACT. Thromb Haemost. 1996;76:902–8.
- Avidan MS, Levy JH, Van Aken H, Feneck RO, Latimer RD, Ott E, Martin E, Birnbaum DE, Bonfiglio LJ, Kajdasz DK, Despotis GJ. Recombinant human antithrombin III restores heparin responsiveness and decreases activation of coagulation in heparin-resistant patients during cardiopulmonary bypass. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005;130:107–13. CrossRef
- Huyzen RJ, van Oeveren W, Wei F, Stellingwerf P, Boonstra PW, Gu YJ. In vitro effect of hemodilution on activated clotting time and high-dose thrombin time during cardiopulmonary bypass. Ann Thorac Surg. 1996;62:533–7. CrossRef
- Casbard AC, Williamson LM, Murphy MF, Rege K, Johnson T. The role of prophylactic fresh frozen plasma in decreasing blood loss and correcting coagulopathy in cardiac surgery. A systematic review. Anaesthesia. 2004;59:550–8. CrossRef
- Demeyere R, Gillardin S, Arnout J, Strengers PF. Comparison of fresh frozen plasma and prothrombin complex concentrate for the reversal of oral anticoagulants in patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass surgery: a randomized study. Vox Sang. 2010;99:251–60. CrossRef
- Ferraris VA, Brown JR, Despotis GJ, Hammon JW, Reece TB, Saha SP, Song HK, Clough ER, Shore-Lesserson LJ, Goodnough LT, Mazer CD, Shander A, Stafford-Smith M, Waters J, Baker RA, Dickinson TA, FitzGerald DJ, Likosky DS, Shann KG. 2011 update to the Society of Thoracic Surgeons and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists blood conservation clinical practice guidelines. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011;91:944–82. CrossRef
- Ryan DH, Crowther MA, Ginsberg JS, Francis CW. Relation of factor V Leiden genotype to risk for acute deep venous thrombosis after joint replacement surgery. Ann Intern Med. 1998;128:270–6.
- Wahlander K, Larson G, Lindahl TL, Andersson C, Frison L, Gustafsson D, Bylock A, Eriksson BI. Factor V Leiden (G1691A) and prothrombin gene G20210A mutations as potential risk factors for venous thromboembolism after total hip or total knee replacement surgery. Thromb Haemost. 2002;87:580–5.
- Donahue BS. Factor V Leiden and perioperative risk. Anesth Analg. 2004;98:1623–34. CrossRef
- Silverstein MD, Heit JA, Mohr DN, Petterson TM, O’Fallon WM, Melton LJ 3rd. Trends in the incidence of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: a 25-year population-based study. Arch Intern Med. 1998;158:585–93. CrossRef
- Ferrucci L, Corsi A, Lauretani F, Bandinelli S, Bartali B, Taub DD, Guralnik JM, Longo DL. The origins of age-related proinflammatory state. Blood. 2005;105:2294–9. CrossRef
- Tanaka K, Szlam F, Katori N, Sato N, Vega J, Levy J. The effects of argatroban on thrombin generation and hemostatic activation in vitro. Anesth Analg. 2004;99:1283–9. CrossRef
- Tanaka KA, Szlam F, Vinten-Johansen J, Cardin AD, Levy JH. Effects of antithrombin and heparin cofactor II levels on anticoagulation with Intimatan. Thromb Haemost. 2005;94:808–13.
- Mangano DT, Tudor IC, Dietzel C, Multicenter Study of Perioperative Ischemia Research G, Ischemia Research and Education F. The risk associated with aprotinin in cardiac surgery. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:353–65. CrossRef
- Fergusson DA, Hebert PC, Mazer CD, Fremes S, MacAdams C, Murkin JM, Teoh K, Duke PC, Arellano R, Blajchman MA, Bussieres JS, Cote D, Karski J, Martineau R, Robblee JA, Rodger M, Wells G, Clinch J, Pretorius R, Investigators B. A comparison of aprotinin and lysine analogues in high-risk cardiac surgery. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:2319–31. CrossRef
- Stein PD, Kayali F, Olson RE, Milford CE. Pulmonary thromboembolism in Asians/Pacific Islanders in the United States: analysis of data from the National Hospital Discharge Survey and the United States Bureau of the Census. Am J Med. 2004;116:435–42. CrossRef
- High mortality associated with intracardiac and intrapulmonary thromboses after cardiopulmonary bypass
Journal of Anesthesia
Volume 26, Issue 1 , pp 9-19
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Intrapulmonary thrombosis
- Intracardiac thrombosis
- Cardiopulmonary bypass
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anesthesiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
- 2. Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- 3. Anesthesia Associates of Kobe, Kobe, Hyogo, Japan
- 4. Department of Anesthesiology, 1364 Clifton Road, N.E., Atlanta, GA, 30322, USA