Conversion of atrial flutter to sinus rhythm during landiolol infusion
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A 73-year-old male patient with a past history of hypertension and atrial premature contraction underwent endoscopic restoration of the left bubonocele. Sinus rhythm was confirmed by preoperative electrocardiography, but paroxysmal atrial flutter developed when abdominoscopy was started. Continuous administration of landiolol hydrochloride at a dose of 0.005 mg kg−1 min−1 after a loading dose of 0.04 mg kg−1 min−1 for 1 min resulted in control of heart rate without a decrease in blood pressure. Atrial flutter was converted to sinus rhythm 3 min after the start of administration. Landiolol hydrochloride was administered continuously until the morning of the following day and sinus rhythm was maintained postoperatively.
- Levy S. Pharmacologic management of atrial fibrillation: current therapeutic strategies. Am Heart J. 2001;141:S15–21. CrossRef
- Niebauer MJ, Chung MK. Management of atrial flutter. Cardiol Rev. 2001;9:253–8. CrossRef
- ACC/AHA/ESC. ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006;48:854–906.
- Iguchi S, Iwamura H, Nishizaki M, Hayashi A, Senokuchi K, Kobayashi K, et al. Development of a highly cardioselective ultra short-acting beta-blocker, ONO-1101. Chem Pharm Bull. 1992;40:1462–9.
- Goto K, Shingu C, Miyamoto S, Miyakawa H, Noguchi T. The effect of landiolol on hemodynamics and left ventricular function in patients with coronary artery disease. J Clin Anesth. 2007;19:523–9. CrossRef
- Kubo K, Murao K, Nakao S, Kanoda T, Yamada M, Shingu K. Successful management of cesarean section in a patient with Romao-Ward syndrome using landiolol, a selective and short-acting β1 receptor antagonist. J Anesth. 2005;19:174–6. CrossRef
- Hirota K, Baba S, Fukushi S, Muraoka M, Matsuki A. Efficacy of landiolol in attenuating hemodynamic responses to local epinephrine infiltration in patients undergoing vaginal total hysterectomy. J Anesth. 2005;19:17–20. CrossRef
- Mayahara T, Goto M, Sato M, Kanazawa T, Isomine S, Nakajima H, et al. Conversion of atrial fibrillation to sinus rhythm during landiolol infusion. J Anesth. 2004;18:304–6. CrossRef
- Iskandrian AS, Bemis CE, Hakki AH, Paanidis I, Heo J, Toole JG, et al. Effects of esmolol on patients with left ventricular dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1986;8:225–31. CrossRef
- Platia EV, Michelson EL, Porterfield JK, Das G. Esmolol versus verapamil in the acute treatment of atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter. Am J Cardiol. 1989;63:925–9. CrossRef
- Atarashi H, Kuruma A, Yashima M, Saitoh H, Ino T, Endoh Y, et al. Pharmacokinetics of landiolol hydrochloride, a new ultra-short-acting β-blocker, in patients with cardiac arrhythmias. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2000;68:143–50. CrossRef
- ACC/AHA. ACC/AHA 2007 guidelines on perioperative cardiovascular evaluation and care for noncardiac surgery: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Anesth Analg 2007;106:685–712.
- Mangano DT, Layug EL, Wallace A, Tateo I. The Multicenter Study of Perioperative Ischemia Research Group. Effect of atenolol on mortality and cardiovascular morbidity after noncardiac surgery. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:1713–21. CrossRef
- Wallance A, Layug B, Tateo I, Li J, Hollenberg M, Browner W, et al. Prophylactic atenolol reduces postoperative myocardial ischemia. Anesthesiology. 1998;88:7–17. CrossRef
- Poldermans D, Boersma E, Bax JJ, Thomson IR, van de Ven LL, Blankensteijn JD, et al. The effect of bisoprolol on perioperative mortality and myocardial infarction in high-risk patients undergoing vascular surgery. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:1789–94. CrossRef
- Conversion of atrial flutter to sinus rhythm during landiolol infusion
Journal of Anesthesia
Volume 24, Issue 1 , pp 107-109
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Atrial flutter
- Landiolol hydrochloride
- Industry Sectors