IL-23R polymorphisms, HBV infection, and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in a high-risk Chinese population
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The interleukin-23 receptor (IL-23R) plays an important role in the T-helper 17 cell-mediated inflammatory process and is also involved in tumor immune surveillance, which may be linked to carcinogenesis in hepatitis B virus (HBV)-related hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). In this study, we hypothesized that potentially functional genetic variants of the IL-23R gene may modify HCC risk.
We genotyped two single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of IL-23R, rs6682925 and rs1884444, in a case–control study of 837 HCC cases, 899 HBV surface antigen (HBsAg)-positive controls, and 743 HBsAg-negative controls. A reporter gene assay was performed to evaluate the functional relevance of the rs6682925 SNP located at the promoter region of the IL-23R gene.
We found that the two SNPs were associated with the risk of HCC when compared with both the HBsAg-positive and -negative controls. When compared with all controls, IL-23R rs6682925 and rs1884444 both increased the HCC risk in a recessive genetic model [rs6682925 CC vs. TT/TC: odds ratio (OR) 1.35, 95 % confidence interval (CI) 1.07–1.70; rs1884444 GG vs. TT/TG: OR 1.36, 95 % CI 1.05–1.77]. Furthermore, the variant C allele of rs6682925 in the promoter region of IL-23R was associated with increased reporter gene activity.
These findings indicate that genetic variants in IL-23R may contribute to HCC development.
- Parkin DM, Whelan SL, Ferlay J, Teppo L, Thomas DB. Cancer incidence in five continents. Vol. VIII. IARC Scientific Publications No. 155, Lyon, IARC. 2002. p.1–781.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P. Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin. 2005;55:74–108. CrossRef
- Zhu ZZ, Cong WM. Roles of hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus in hepato-carcinogenesis. Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi. 2003;11:574–6.
- Kuper H, Tzonou A, Kaklamani E, Hsieh CC, Lagiou P, Adami HO, et al. Tobacco smoking, alcohol consumption and their interaction in the causation of hepatocellular carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 2000;85:498–502. CrossRef
- Chen CJ, Wang LY, Lu SN, Wu MH, You SL, Zhang YJ, et al. Elevated aflatoxin exposure and increased risk of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 1996;24:38–42. CrossRef
- Yang HI, Lu SN, Liaw YF, You SL, Sun CA, Wang LY, et al. Hepatitis B e antigen and the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:168–74. CrossRef
- Del Vecchio M, Bajetta E, Canova S, Lotze MT, Wesa A, Parmiani G, et al. Interleukin-12: biological properties and clinical application. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:4677–85. CrossRef
- Trinchieri G. Interleukin-12 and the regulation of innate resistance and adaptive immunity. Nat Rev Immunol. 2003;3:133–46. CrossRef
- Langowski JL, Zhang X, Wu L, Mattson JD, Chen T, Smith K, et al. IL-23 promotes tumour incidence and growth. Nature. 2006;442:461–5. CrossRef
- Liu L, Xu Y, Liu Z, Chen J, Zhang Y, Zhu J, et al. IL12 polymorphisms, HBV infection and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in a high-risk Chinese population. Int J Cancer. 2011;128:1692–6. CrossRef
- Oppmann B, Lesley R, Blom B, Timans JC, Xu Y, Hunte B, et al. Novel p19 protein engages IL-12p40 to form a cytokine, IL-23, with biological activities similar as well as distinct from IL-12. Immunity. 2000;13:715–25. CrossRef
- Langrish CL, Chen Y, Blumenschein WM, Mattson J, Basham B, Sedgwick JD, et al. IL-23 drives a pathogenic T cell population that induces autoimmune inflammation. J Exp Med. 2005;201:233–40. CrossRef
- McGeachy MJ, Chen Y, Tato CM, Laurence A, Joyce-Shaikh B, Blumenschein WM, et al. The interleukin 23 receptor is essential for the terminal differentiation of interleukin 17-producing effector T helper cells in vivo. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:314–24. CrossRef
- Parham C, Chirica M, Timans J, Vaisberg E, Travis M, Cheung J, et al. A receptor for the heterodimeric cytokine IL-23 is composed of IL-12Rbeta1 and a novel cytokine receptor subunit, IL-23R. J Immunol. 2002;168:5699–708.
- Yamashita YI, Shimada M, Hasegawa H, Minagawa R, Rikimaru T, Hamatsu T, et al. Electroporation-mediated interleukin-12 gene therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma in the mice model. Cancer Res. 2001;61:1005–12.
- Barajas M, Mazzolini G, Genove G, Bilbao R, Narvaiza I, Schmitz V, et al. Gene therapy of orthotopic hepatocellular carcinoma in rats using adenovirus coding for interleukin 12. Hepatology. 2001;33:52–61. CrossRef
- Crispe IN. The liver as a lymphoid organ. Annu Rev Immunol. 2009;27:147–63. CrossRef
- Racanelli V, Rehermann B. The liver as an immunological organ. Hepatology. 2006;43:S54–62. CrossRef
- Duerr RH, Taylor KD, Brant SR, Rioux JD, Silverberg MS, Daly MJ, et al. A genome-wide association study identifies IL23R as an inflammatory bowel disease gene. Science. 2006;314:1461–3. CrossRef
- Cargill M, Schrodi SJ, Chang M, Garcia VE, Brandon R, Callis KP, et al. A large-scale genetic association study confirms IL12B and leads to the identification of IL23R as psoriasis-risk genes. Am J Hum Genet. 2007;80:273–90. CrossRef
- Parkes M, Barrett JC, Prescott NJ, Tremelling M, Anderson CA, Fisher SA, et al. Sequence variants in the autophagy gene IRGM and multiple other replicating loci contribute to Crohn’s disease susceptibility. Nat Genet. 2007;39:830–2. CrossRef
- Van Limbergen J, Russell RK, Nimmo ER, Drummond HE, Smith L, Davies G, et al. IL23R Arg381Gln is associated with childhood onset inflammatory bowel disease in Scotland. Gut. 2007;56:1173–4. CrossRef
- Huffmeier U, Lascorz J, Bohm B, Lohmann J, Wendler J, Mossner R, et al. Genetic variants of the IL-23R pathway: association with psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis vulgaris, but no specific risk factor for arthritis. J Invest Dermatol. 2009;129:355–8. CrossRef
- Hu L, Liu J, Chen X, Zhang Y, Liu L, Zhu J, et al. CTLA-4 gene polymorphism +49 A/G contributes to genetic susceptibility to two infection-related cancers–hepatocellular carcinoma and cervical cancer. Hum Immunol. 2010;71:888–91. CrossRef
- Heinemeyer T, Wingender E, Reuter I, Hermjakob H, Kel AE, Kel OV, et al. Databases on transcriptional regulation: TRANSFAC, TRRD and COMPEL. Nucleic Acids Res. 1998;26:362–7. CrossRef
- Bossard P, Zaret KS. GATA transcription factors as potentiators of gut endoderm differentiation. Development. 1998;125:4909–17.
- Chou J, Provot S, Werb Z. GATA3 in development and cancer differentiation: cells GATA have it! J Cell Physiol. 2010;222:42–9. CrossRef
- Kan SH, Mancini G, Gallagher G. Identification and characterization of multiple splice forms of the human interleukin-23 receptor alpha chain in mitogen-activated leukocytes. Genes Immun. 2008;9:631–9. CrossRef
- Conde L, Vaquerizas JM, Dopazo H, Arbiza L, Reumers J, Rousseau F, et al. PupaSuite: finding functional single nucleotide polymorphisms for large-scale genotyping purposes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:W621–5. CrossRef
- Chen J, Lu Y, Zhang H, Ding Y, Ren C, Hua Z, et al. A nonsynonymous polymorphism in IL23R gene is associated with risk of gastric cancer in a Chinese population. Mol Carcinog. 2010;49:862–8. CrossRef
- Chu H, Cao W, Chen W, Pan S, Xiao Y, Liu Y, et al. Potentially functional polymorphisms in IL-23R and risk of esophageal cancer in a Chinese population. Int J Cancer. 2012;130(5):1093–7. CrossRef
- Rossol S, Marinos G, Carucci P, Singer MV, Williams R, Naoumov NV. Interleukin-12 induction of Th1 cytokines is important for viral clearance in chronic hepatitis B. J Clin Invest. 1997;99:3025–33. CrossRef
- Arima S, Akbar SM, Michitaka K, Horiike N, Nuriya H, Kohara M, et al. Impaired function of antigen-presenting dendritic cells in patients with chronic hepatitis B: localization of HBV DNA and HBV RNA in blood DC by in situ hybridization. Int J Mol Med. 2003;11:169–74.
- Cavanaugh VJ, Guidotti LG, Chisari FV. Interleukin-12 inhibits hepatitis B virus replication in transgenic mice. J Virol. 1997;71:3236–43.
- Lo CH, Lee SC, Wu PY, Pan WY, Su J, Cheng CW, et al. Antitumor and antimetastatic activity of IL-23. J Immunol. 2003;171:600–7.
- Wang YQ, Ugai S, Shimozato O, Yu L, Kawamura K, Yamamoto H, et al. Induction of systemic immunity by expression of interleukin-23 in murine colon carcinoma cells. Int J Cancer. 2003;105:820–4. CrossRef
- Ljujic B, Radosavljevic G, Jovanovic I, Pavlovic S, Zdravkovic N, Milovanovic M, et al. Elevated serum level of IL-23 correlates with expression of VEGF in human colorectal carcinoma. Arch Med Res. 2010;41:182–9. CrossRef
- Zhang B, Rong G, Wei H, Zhang M, Bi J, Ma L, et al. The prevalence of Th17 cells in patients with gastric cancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;374:533–7. CrossRef
- IL-23R polymorphisms, HBV infection, and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in a high-risk Chinese population
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 48, Issue 1 , pp 125-131
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Interleukin-23 receptor
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Reporter gene
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, MOE Key Laboratory of Modern Toxicology, State Key Laboratory of Reproductive Medicine, Nanjing Medical University, 140 Hanzhong Rd., Nanjing, 210029, China
- 2. Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Nantong Tumor Hospital, Nantong, 226361, China
- 3. Department of Infection Diseases, Jiangsu Province Center for Disease Prevention and Control, Nanjing, 210009, China
- 4. Section of Clinical Epidemiology, Jiangsu Key Lab of Cancer Biomarkers, Prevention and Treatment, Cancer Center, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, 210029, China