Value of post-vascular phase (Kupffer imaging) by contrast-enhanced ultrasonography using Sonazoid in the detection of hepatocellular carcinoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We evaluated the sensitivity and specificity of post-vascular phase (Kupffer imaging) by contrast-enhanced ultrasonography (CEUS) using perflubutane microbubbles (Sonazoid) in comparison with conventional B-mode ultrasonography (US) for the detection of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) nodules.
A total of 100 treatment-naïve HCC patients admitted at our hospital between December 2007 and June 2009 were consecutively enrolled. The sensitivity and specificity of conventional and contrast-enhanced US were evaluated on a liver segment basis using dynamic CT as a reference standard. Movie files of conventional and enhanced US were stored separately for each segment (e.g., lateral, medial, anterior, and posterior) and reviewed randomly by two blinded readers.
A total of 138 HCC nodules (mean diameter 20.3 mm) were detected in 123 of 400 segments. Detection sensitivity of B-mode US was 0.837 for reader A and 0.846 for reader B, and that of CEUS was 0.732 for reader A and 0.831 for reader B. Specificity of B-mode US was 0.902 for reader A and 0.949 for reader B, and that of CEUS was 0.986 for reader A and 0.978 for reader B. CEUS false positives were mainly due to misidentification of hepatic cysts. A significant proportion of false-negative nodules are hyperechoic in B-mode US, likely because echogenicity hampers visualization of the defect in Kupffer imaging.
Kupffer imaging by CEUS with Sonazoid showed very high specificity but rather mediocre sensitivity for HCC detection. CEUS is highly suitable for confirmatory diagnosis of HCC; however, caution should be exercised in reaching a diagnosis based only on CEUS.
- Llovet JM, Burroughs A, Bruix J. Hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet. 2003;362(9399):1907–17. CrossRef
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P. Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin. 2005;55(2):74–108.
- El-Serag HB. Hepatocellular carcinoma: recent trends in the United States. Gastroenterology. 2004;127(5 Suppl 1):S27–34. CrossRef
- Colombo M, de Franchis R, Del Ninno E, Sangiovanni A, De Fazio C, Tommasini M, et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma in Italian patients with cirrhosis. N Engl J Med. 1991;325(10):675–80. CrossRef
- Makuuchi M, Kokudo N. Clinical practice guidelines for hepatocellular carcinoma: the first evidence based guidelines from Japan. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12(5):828–9.
- Bruix J, Sherman M, Llovet JM, Beaugrand M, Lencioni R, Burroughs AK, et al. Clinical management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Conclusions of the Barcelona-2000 EASL conference. European Association for the Study of the Liver. J Hepatol. 2001;35(3):421–30. CrossRef
- Yanagisawa K, Moriyasu F, Miyahara T, Yuki M, Iijima H. Phagocytosis of ultrasound contrast agent microbubbles by Kupffer cells. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2007;33(2):318–25. CrossRef
- Tanaka M, Nakashima O, Wada Y, Kage M, Kojiro M. Pathomorphological study of Kupffer cells in hepatocellular carcinoma and hyperplastic nodular lesions in the liver. Hepatology. 1996;24(4):807–12. CrossRef
- Shunichi S, Hiroko I, Fuminori M, Waki H. Definition of contrast enhancement phases of the liver using a perfluoro-based microbubble agent, perflubutane microbubbles. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2009;35(11):1819–27. CrossRef
- Kindberg GM, Tolleshaug H, Roos N, Skotland T. Hepatic clearance of Sonazoid perfluorobutane microbubbles by Kupffer cells does not reduce the ability of liver to phagocytose or degrade albumin microspheres. Cell Tissue Res. 2003;312(1):49–54.
- Hatanaka K, Kudo M, Minami Y, Maekawa K. Sonazoid-enhanced ultrasonography for diagnosis of hepatic malignancies: comparison with contrast-enhanced CT. Oncology. 2008;75(Suppl 1):42–7. CrossRef
- Moriyasu F, Itoh K. Efficacy of perflubutane microbubble-enhanced ultrasound in the characterization and detection of focal liver lesions: phase 3 multicenter clinical trial. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009;193(1):86–95. CrossRef
- Bossuyt PM, Reitsma JB, Bruns DE, Gatsonis CA, Glasziou PP, Irwig LM, et al. The STARD statement for reporting studies of diagnostic accuracy: explanation and elaboration. Ann Intern Med. 2003;138(1):W1–12.
- The committee for revision of the clinical practice guidelines for hepatocellular carcinoma. Clinical practice guidelines for hepatocellular carcinoma—The Japan Society of Hepatology 2009 update. Hepatol Res. 2010;40(s1):16–47 (Practice Guideline).
- Youden WJ. Index for rating diagnostic tests. Cancer. 1950;3(1):32–5. CrossRef
- Thompson Coon J, Rogers G, Hewson P, Wright D, Anderson R, Cramp M, et al. Surveillance of cirrhosis for hepatocellular carcinoma: systematic review and economic analysis. Health Technol Assess. 2007;11(34):1–206.
- Watanabe R, Matsumura M, Munemasa T, Fujimaki M, Suematsu M. Mechanism of hepatic parenchyma-specific contrast of microbubble-based contrast agent for ultrasonography: microscopic studies in rat liver. Invest Radiol. 2007;42(9):643–51. CrossRef
- Saini S, Stark DD, Hahn PF, Bousquet JC, Introcasso J, Wittenberg J, et al. Ferrite particles: a superparamagnetic MR contrast agent for enhanced detection of liver carcinoma. Radiology. 1987;162(1 Pt 1):217–22.
- Stark DD, Weissleder R, Elizondo G, Hahn PF, Saini S, Todd LE, et al. Superparamagnetic iron oxide: clinical application as a contrast agent for MR imaging of the liver. Radiology. 1988;168(2):297–301.
- Asahina Y, Izumi N, Uchihara M, Noguchi O, Ueda K, Inoue K, et al. Assessment of Kupffer cells by ferumoxides-enhanced MR imaging is beneficial for diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: comparison of pathological diagnosis and perfusion patterns assessed by CT hepatic arteriography and CT arterioportography. Hepatol Res. 2003;27(3):196–204. CrossRef
- Imai Y, Murakami T, Yoshida S, Nishikawa M, Ohsawa M, Tokunaga K, et al. Superparamagnetic iron oxide-enhanced magnetic resonance images of hepatocellular carcinoma: correlation with histological grading. Hepatology. 2000;32(2):205–12. CrossRef
- Blomley MJ, Albrecht T, Cosgrove DO, Patel N, Jayaram V, Butler-Barnes J, et al. Improved imaging of liver metastases with stimulated acoustic emission in the late phase of enhancement with the US contrast agent SH U 508A: early experience. Radiology. 1999;210(2):409–16.
- Numata K, Morimoto M, Ogura T, Sugimori K, Takebayashi S, Okada M, et al. Ablation therapy guided by contrast-enhanced sonography with Sonazoid for hepatocellular carcinoma lesions not detected by conventional sonography. J Ultrasound Med. 2008;27(3):395–406.
- Luo W, Numata K, Morimoto M, Kondo M, Takebayashi S, Okada M, et al. Focal liver tumors: characterization with 3D perflubutane microbubble contrast agent-enhanced US versus 3D contrast-enhanced multidetector CT. Radiology. 2009;251(1):287–95. CrossRef
- Kudo M. New sonographic techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatol Res. 2007;37(Suppl 2):S193–9. CrossRef
- Hohmann J, Albrecht T, Hoffmann CW, Wolf KJ. Ultrasonographic detection of focal liver lesions: increased sensitivity and specificity with microbubble contrast agents. Eur J Radiol. 2003;46(2):147–59. CrossRef
- Hirokawa Y, Isoda H, Maetani YS, Arizono S, Shimada K, Okada T, et al. Hepatic lesions: improved image quality and detection with the periodically rotated overlapping parallel lines with enhanced reconstruction technique—evaluation of SPIO-enhanced T2-weighted MR images. Radiology. 2009;251(2):388–97. CrossRef
- Vogl TJ, Schwarz W, Blume S, Pietsch M, Shamsi K, Franz M, et al. Preoperative evaluation of malignant liver tumors: comparison of unenhanced and SPIO (Resovist)-enhanced MR imaging with biphasic CTAP and intraoperative US. Eur Radiol. 2003;13(2):262–72.
- Edey AJ, Ryan SM, Beese RC, Gordon P, Sidhu PS. Ultrasound imaging of liver metastases in the delayed parenchymal phase following administration of Sonazoid using a destructive mode technique (Agent Detection Imaging). Clin Radiol. 2008;63(10):1112–20. CrossRef
- Kudo M. Will Gd-EOB-MRI change the diagnostic algorithm in hepatocellular carcinoma? Oncology. 2010;78(Suppl 1):87–93. CrossRef
- Value of post-vascular phase (Kupffer imaging) by contrast-enhanced ultrasonography using Sonazoid in the detection of hepatocellular carcinoma
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 47, Issue 4 , pp 477-485
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasonography
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Gastroenterology, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-8655, Japan
- 2. Department of Clinical Laboratory, The University of Tokyo Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
- 3. Department of Radiology, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
- 4. Yamanashi Prefectural Hospital Organization, Kofu, Japan