Proton pump inhibitors therapy for esophageal eosinophilia: simply following consensus guidelines
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We read with great interest the article by Abe et al. , in which the authors describe a series of 12 patients with esophageal eosinophilic infiltration (EEI, defined as ≥15 eo/HPF), of whom 8 had dysphagia or chest pain as the major complaint, 1 had gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) symptoms, and the remaining 3 were asymptomatic. Despite the limitations owing to the retrospective design of the study, clinical, endoscopic, and histological remission was documented in 3 out of 6 patients after reevaluation on proton pump inhibitors (PPI) therapy. Interestingly, one of these PPI responders was asymptomatic and EEI was incidentally found during annual follow-up for chronic gastritis. Similarly, a recent Korean study  has shown complete remission on PPI therapy in some patients with positive endoscopic and histological findings for eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE). EoE is still considered to be a rare condition in Asia. The first case dates from 2008 and was reported in an asympto ...
- Abe Y, Iijima K, Ohara S, et al. A Japanese case series of 12 patients with esophageal eosinophilia. J Gastroenterol. 2011;46:25–30. CrossRef
- Lee KM, Lim HC, Kim JH, et al. Clinical implications of endoscopically suspected eosinophilic esophagitis. Korean J Gastroenterol. 2010;56:285–92. CrossRef
- Lu HC, Lu CL, Chang FY. Eosinophilic esophagitis in a Chinese adult. J Chin Med Assoc. 2008;71:362–4. CrossRef
- Molina-Infante J, Hernandez-Alonso M, Perez-Gallardo B, Martin-Noguerol E. The first Asian case report of eosinophilic esophagitis in an asymptomatic adult: what about a proton pump inhibitors trial? J Chin Med Assoc. 2009;172:66–7.
- Furuta GT, Liacouras CA, Collins MH, et al. Eosinophilic esophagitis in children and adults: a systematic review and consensus recommendations for diagnosis and treatment. Gastroenterology. 2007;133:1342–63. CrossRef
- Peery AF, Shaheen NJ, Dellon ES. Practice patterns for the evaluation and treatment of eosinophilic esophagitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2010;32:1373–82. CrossRef
- Sayej WN, Patel RA, Baker RD, et al. Treatment with high-dose proton pump inhibitors helps distinguish eosinophilic esophagitis from noneosinophilic esophagitis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2009;49:1–7. CrossRef
- Dranove JE, Horn DS, Davis MA, et al. Predictors of response to proton pump inhibitor therapy among children with significant esophageal eosinophilia. J Pediatr. 2009;154:96–100. CrossRef
- Peterson KA, Thomas KL, Hilden K, et al. Comparison of esomeprazole to aerosolized, swallowed fluticasone for eosinophilic esophagitis. Dig Dis Sci. 2010;55:1313–9. CrossRef
- Molina-Infante J, Ferrando-Lamana L, Ripoll C, et al. Esophageal eosinophilic infiltration responds to proton pump inhibition in most adults. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;9:110–17.
- Proton pump inhibitors therapy for esophageal eosinophilia: simply following consensus guidelines
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 46, Issue 5 , pp 712-713
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors