The long-term risk of gastric cancer after the successful eradication of Helicobacter pylori
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We previously reported that eradication of Helicobacter pylori reduced the risk of developing gastric cancer in patients with peptic ulcer diseases. In the present study, we further followed up our patient group to investigate the occurrence and clinical features of gastric cancers that developed after cure of the infection.
Prospective post-eradication evaluations were conducted on 1674 consecutive patients who had received successful H. pylori eradication therapy. The patients had undergone endoscopic examination before eradication therapy to evaluate peptic ulcers, background gastric mucosal atrophy, and H. pylori infection. After confirmation of cure of the infection, follow-up endoscopy was performed yearly.
The patients were followed for up to 14.1 years (a mean of 5.6 years). During the follow-up, gastric cancer developed in 28 of the 1674 patients as long as 13.7 years after the cure of H. pylori infection. The risk of developing gastric cancer was 0.30% per year. Histologically, 16 of the gastric cancers were the intestinal type and 12 were the diffuse type; the risk of each cancer type was 0.17 and 0.13% per year, respectively. There was no significant inflammatory cell infiltration in the background gastric mucosa at the time the cancers were recognized.
There is a risk of developing gastric cancer of both the intestinal and diffuse types even after the cure of H. pylori infection and extinction of gastric inflammation. It is important to inform patients about the risk of gastric cancer after eradication therapy and offer them surveillance endoscopy.
- Infection with Helicobacter pylori. IARC Monogr Eval Carcinog Risks Hum 1994;61:177–240.
- Blaser MJ. The bacteria behind ulcers. Sci Am. 1996;274:104–7. CrossRef
- Uemura N, Okamoto S, Yamamoto S, Matsumura N, Yamaguchi S, Yamakido M, et al. Helicobacter pylori infection and the development of gastric cancer. N Engl J Med. 2001;345:784–9. CrossRef
- Graham DY. Helicobacter pylori infection is the primary cause of gastric cancer. J Gastroenterol. 2000;35(Suppl 12):90–7.
- Kikuchi S. Epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori and gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer. 2002;5:6–15. CrossRef
- Sepulveda AR, Graham DY. Role of Helicobacter pylori in gastric carcinogenesis. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2002;31:517–35. CrossRef
- Brenner H, Arndt V, Stegmaier C, Ziegler H, Rothenbacher D. Is Helicobacter pylori infection a necessary condition for noncardia gastric cancer? Am J Epidemiol. 2004;159:252–8. CrossRef
- Graham DY, Shiotani A. The time to eradicate gastric cancer is now. Gut. 2005;54:735–8. CrossRef
- Malfertheiner P, Sipponen P, Naumann M, Moayyedi P, Megraud F, Xiao SD, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication has the potential to prevent gastric cancer: a state-of-the-art critique. Am J Gastroenterol. 2005;100:2100–15. CrossRef
- Fuccio L, Zagari RM, Eusebi LH, Laterza L, Cennamo V, Ceroni L, et al. Meta-analysis: can Helicobacter pylori eradication treatment reduce the risk for gastric cancer? Ann Intern Med. 2009;151:121–8.
- Uemura N, Mukai T, Okamoto S, Yamaguchi S, Mashiba H, Taniyama K, et al. Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on subsequent development of cancer after endoscopic resection of early gastric cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1997;6:639–42.
- Uemura N, Okamoto S. Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on subsequent development of cancer after endoscopic resection of early gastric cancer in Japan. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2000;29:819–27. CrossRef
- Fukase K, Kato M, Kikuchi S, Inoue K, Uemura N, Okamoto S, et al. Effect of eradication of Helicobacter pylori on incidence of metachronous gastric carcinoma after endoscopic resection of early gastric cancer: an open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2008;372:392–7. CrossRef
- Wong BC, Lam SK, Wong WM, Chen JS, Zheng TT, Feng RE, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication to prevent gastric cancer in a high-risk region of China: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2004;291:187–94. CrossRef
- Miyoshi M, Mizuno M, Ishiki K, Nagahara Y, Maga T, Torigoe T, et al. A randomized open trial for comparison of proton pump inhibitors, omeprazole versus rabeprazole, in dual therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection in relation to CYP2C19 genetic polymorphism. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2001;16:723–8. CrossRef
- Adachi M, Mizuno M, Yokota K, Miyoshi M, Nagahara Y, Maga T, et al. Reinfection rate following effective therapy against Helicobacter pylori infection in Japan. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2002;17:27–31. CrossRef
- Take S, Mizuno M, Ishiki K, Nagahara Y, Yoshida T, Inaba T, et al. Interleukin-1beta genetic polymorphism influences the effect of cytochrome P 2C19 genotype on the cure rate of 1-week triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003;98:2403–8.
- Ishiki K, Mizuno M, Take S, Nagahara Y, Yoshida T, Yamamoto K, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication improves pre-existing reflux esophagitis in patients with duodenal ulcer disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004;2:474–9. CrossRef
- Take S, Mizuno M, Ishiki K, Nagahara Y, Yoshida T, Yokota K, et al. The effect of eradicating Helicobacter pylori on the development of gastric cancer in patients with peptic ulcer disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2005;100:1037–42. CrossRef
- Ishioka H, Mizuno M, Take S, Ishiki K, Nagahara Y, Yoshida T, et al. A better cure rate with 800 mg than with 400 mg clarithromycin regimens in one-week triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection in cigarette-smoking peptic ulcer patients. Digestion. 2007;75:63–8. CrossRef
- Take S, Mizuno M, Ishiki K, Nagahara Y, Yoshida T, Yokota K, et al. Baseline gastric mucosal atrophy is a risk factor associated with the development of gastric cancer after Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy in patients with peptic ulcer diseases. J Gastroenterol. 2007;42(Suppl 17):21–7. CrossRef
- Take S, Mizuno M, Ishiki K, Nagahara Y, Yoshida T, Yokota K, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication may induce de novo, but transient and mild, reflux esophagitis: prospective endoscopic evaluation. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;24:107–13. CrossRef
- Kimura K, Takemoto T. An endoscopic recognition of the atrophic border and its significance in chronic gastritis. Endoscopy. 1969;3:87–97. CrossRef
- Sakaki N, Arakawa T, Katou H, Momma K, Egawa N, Kamisawa T, et al. Relationship between progression of gastric mucosal atrophy and Helicobacter pylori infection: retrospective long-term endoscopic follow-up study. J Gastroenterol. 1997;32:19–23. CrossRef
- Ito S, Azuma T, Murakita H, Hirai M, Miyaji H, Ito Y, et al. Profile of Helicobacter pylori cytotoxin derived from two areas of Japan with different prevalence of atrophic gastritis. Gut. 1996;39:800–6. CrossRef
- Satoh K, Kimura K, Taniguchi Y, Yoshida Y, Kihira K, Takimoto T, et al. Distribution of inflammation and atrophy in the stomach of Helicobacter pylori-positive and -negative patients with chronic gastritis. Am J Gastroenterol. 1996;91:963–9.
- Nagahara Y, Mizuno M, Maga T, Ishiki K, Okuno T, Yoshida T, et al. Outcome of patients with inconsistent results from 13C-urea breath test and bacterial culture at the time of assessment of Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy in Japan. Hepatogastroenterology. 2003;50:1700–3.
- Hamilton SR, Aaltonen LA, editors. Pathology and genetics of tumours of the digestive system. In: Kleihues P, Sobin LH, series editors. World Health Organization classification of tumours. Lyon: IARC Press; 2000.
- Lauren P. The two histological main types of gastric carcinoma: diffuse and so-called intestinal-type carcinoma. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand. 1965;64:31–49.
- Dixon MF, Genta RM, Yardley JH, Correa P. Classification and grading of gastritis. The updated Sydney System. International Workshop on the Histopathology of Gastritis, Houston 1994. Am J Surg Pathol. 1996;20:1161–81. CrossRef
- Japanese Gastric Cancer Association. Japanese classification of gastric carcinoma, 2nd English edition. Gastric Cancer 1998;1:10–24.
- Takenaka R, Okada H, Kato J, Makidono C, Hori S, Kawahara Y, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication reduced the incidence of gastric cancer, especially of the intestinal type. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2007;25:805–12. CrossRef
- Ogura K, Hirata Y, Yanai A, Shibata W, Ohmae T, Mitsuno Y, et al. The effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on reducing the incidence of gastric cancer. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2008;42:279–83.
- Wu CY, Kuo KN, Wu MS, Chen YJ, Wang CB, Lin JT. Early Helicobacter pylori eradication decreases risk of gastric cancer in patients with peptic ulcer disease. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:1641–8. (e1-2). CrossRef
- Yanaoka K, Oka M, Ohata H, Yoshimura N, Deguchi H, Mukoubayashi C, et al. Eradication of Helicobacter pylori prevents cancer development in subjects with mild gastric atrophy identified by serum pepsinogen levels. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:2697–703. CrossRef
- Tucci A, Biasco G, Paparo GF. Effect of eradication of Helicobacter pylori in patients with fundic atrophic gastritis. N Engl J Med. 1997;336:957–8. CrossRef
- Ohkusa T, Fujiki K, Takashimizu I, Kumagai J, Tanizawa T, Eishi Y, et al. Improvement in atrophic gastritis and intestinal metaplasia in patients in whom Helicobacter pylori was eradicated. Ann Intern Med. 2001;134:380–6.
- Itzkowitz SH, Yio X. Inflammation and cancer IV. Colorectal cancer in inflammatory bowel disease: the role of inflammation. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2004;287:G7–17. CrossRef
- Macarthur M, Hold GL, El-Omarc EM. Inflammation and cancer II. Role of chronic inflammation and cytokine gene polymorphisms in the pathogenesis of gastrointestinal malignancy. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2004;286:G515–20. CrossRef
- Rogers AB, Fox JG. Inflammation and cancer. I. Rodent models of infectious gastrointestinal and liver cancer. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2004;286:G361–6. CrossRef
- Rauws EA, Tytgat GN. Cure of duodenal ulcer associated with eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Lancet. 1990;335:1233–5. CrossRef
- Graham DY, Lew GM, Klein PD, Evans DG, Evans DJ Jr, Saeed ZA, et al. Effect of treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection on the long-term recurrence of gastric or duodenal ulcer. A randomized, controlled study. Ann Intern Med. 1992;116:705–8.
- Hopkins RJ, Girardi LS, Turney EA. Relationship between Helicobacter pylori eradication and reduced duodenal and gastric ulcer recurrence: a review. Gastroenterology. 1996;110:1244–52. CrossRef
- Mocek FW, Ward WW Jr, Wolfson SE, Rumage WT Jr, Wieman TJ. Elimination of recurrent hyperplastic polyps by eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Ann Intern Med. 1994;120:1007–8.
- Wotherspoon AC, Doglioni C, Diss TC, Pan L, Moschini A, de Boni M, et al. Regression of primary low-grade B-cell gastric lymphoma of mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue type after eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Lancet. 1993;342:575–7. CrossRef
- Gasbarrini A, Franceschi F, Tartaglione R, Landolfi R, Pola P, Gasbarrini G. Regression of autoimmune thrombocytopenia after eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Lancet. 1998;352:878. CrossRef
- Inaba T, Mizuno M, Take S, Suwaki K, Honda T, Kawai K, et al. Eradication of Helicobacter pylori increases platelet count in patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in Japan. Eur J Clin Invest. 2005;35:214–9. CrossRef
- Wedi B, Wagner S, Werfel T, Manns MP, Kapp A. Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori-associated gastritis in chronic urticaria. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 1998;116:288–94. CrossRef
- Dufour C, Brisigotti M, Fabretti G, Luxardo P, Mori PG, Barabino A. Helicobacter pylori gastric infection and sideropenic refractory anemia. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1993;17:225–7. CrossRef
- de Vries AC, Kuipers EJ, Rauws EA. Helicobacter pylori eradication and gastric cancer: when is the horse out of the barn? Am J Gastroenterol. 2009;104:1342–5. CrossRef
- The long-term risk of gastric cancer after the successful eradication of Helicobacter pylori
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 46, Issue 3 , pp 318-324
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Eradication therapy
- Gastric cancer
- Helicobacter pylori
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Internal Medicine, Fukuwatari Municipal Hospital, 1000 Fukuwatari, Takebe-cho, Kitaku, Okayama, 709-3111, Japan
- 3. Department of Internal Medicine, Nippon Kokan Fukuyama Hospital, 1840 Tsunoshita, Daimon-cho, Fukuyama, 721-0927, Japan
- 2. Department of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Hiroshima City Hospital, 7-33 Motomachi, Nakaku, Hiroshima, 730-8518, Japan
- 4. Department of Pathology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2-5-1 Shikata-cho, Kitaku, Okayama, 700-8558, Japan
- 5. Department of Bacteriology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2-5-1 Shikata-cho, Kitaku, Okayama, 700-8558, Japan
- 6. Department of Medicine and Medical Science, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2-5-1 Shikata-cho, Kitaku, Okayama, 700-8558, Japan