Interleukin-33 expression is specifically enhanced in inflamed mucosa of ulcerative colitis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Interleukin (IL)-33 is a cytokine belonging to the IL-1 family. IL-33 has been shown to elicit a Th2-like cytokine response in immune cells. In this study, we investigated IL-33 expression in the inflamed mucosa of patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and characterized the molecular mechanisms responsible for IL-33 expression in human colonic subepithelial myofibroblasts (SEMFs).
IL-33 mRNA expression was determined by real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR). IL-33 expression in the IBD mucosa was evaluated by immunohistochemical methods.
IL-33 mRNA expression was significantly elevated in active lesions from patients with ulcerative colitis (UC), but was not detected in inactive lesions from UC patients or in lesions from patients with either active or inactive Crohn’s disease. Colonic SEMFs were identified as a major source of IL-33 in the mucosa. IL-1β and tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) significantly enhanced IL-33 mRNA and protein expression in isolated colonic SEMFs. IL-1β and TNF-α did not affect IL-33 expression in intestinal epithelial cell lines (HT-29 and Caco-2 cells). This IL-1β- and TNF-α-induced IL-33 mRNA expression was mediated by p42/44 mitogen activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway-dependent activation of nuclear factor (NF)-κB and activator protein (AP)-1.
IL-33, derived from colonic SEMFs, may play an important role in the pathophysiology of UC.
- Schmitz J, Owyang A, Oldham E, Song Y, Murphy E, McClanahan TK, et al. IL-33, an interleukin-1-like cytokine that signals via the IL-1 receptor-related protein ST2 and induces T helper type 2-associated cytokines. Immunity. 2005;23:479–90. CrossRef
- Sanada S, Hakuno D, Higgins LJ, Schreiter ER, McKenzie AN, Lee RT. IL-33 and ST2 comprise a critical biomechanically induced and cardioprotective signaling system. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:1538–49. CrossRef
- Nishida A, Andoh A, Imaeda H, Sugihara T, Inatomi O, Shiomi H, et al. Expression of interleukin-1-like cytokine interleukin-33 and its receptor complex (ST2L and IL-1RAcP) in human pancreatic myofibroblasts. Gut. 2010;59(4):531–41. CrossRef
- Marvie P, Lisbonne M, L’Helgoualc’h A, Rauch M, Turlin B, Preisser L, et al. Interleukin-33 overexpression is associated with liver fibrosis in mice and humans. J Cell Mol Med. 2009 (Epub ahead of print).
- Mizoguchi A, Mizoguchi E. Inflammatory bowel disease, past, present and future: lessons from animal models. J Gastroenterol. 2008;43:1–17. CrossRef
- Mayer L. Evolving paradigms in the pathogenesis of IBD. J Gastroenterol. 2010;45:9–16. CrossRef
- Sands BE. Inflammatory bowel disease: past, present, and future. J Gastroenterol. 2007;42:16–25. CrossRef
- Seidelin JB, Bjerrum JT, Coskun M, Widjaya B, Vainer B, et al. IL-33 is upregulated in colonocytes of ulcerative colitis. Immunol Lett. 2010;28:80–5. CrossRef
- Beltran CJ, Nunez LE, Diaz-Jimenez D, Farfan N, Candia E, Heine C, et al. Characterization of the novel ST2/IL-33 system in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2009 (Epub ahead of print).
- Rachmilewitz D. Coated mesalazine (5-aminosalicylic acid) versus sulphasalazine in the treatment of active ulcerative colitis: a randomised trial. BMJ. 1989;298:82–6. CrossRef
- Best WR, Becktel JM, Singleton JW. Rederived values of the eight coefficients of the Crohn’s disease activity index (CDAI). Gastroenterology. 1979;77:843–6.
- Mahida YR, Beltinger J, Makh S, Goke M, Gray T, Podolsky DK, et al. Adult human colonic subepithelial myofibroblasts express extracellular matrix proteins and cyclooxygenase-1 and -2. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:G1341–8.
- Andoh A, Fujino S, Bamba S, Araki Y, Okuno T, Bamba T, et al. IL-17 selectively down-regulates TNF-alpha-induced RANTES gene expression in human colonic subepithelial myofibroblasts. J Immunol. 2002;169:1683–7.
- Shimada M, Andoh A, Hata K, Tasaki K, Araki Y, Fujiyama Y, et al. IL-6 secretion by human pancreatic periacinar myofibroblasts in response to inflammatory mediators. J Immunol. 2002;168:861–8.
- Obara H, Takayanagi A, Hirahashi J, Tanaka K, Wakabayashi G, Matsumoto K, et al. Overexpression of truncated IkappaBalpha induces TNF-alpha-dependent apoptosis in human vascular smooth muscle cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000;20:2198–204.
- Yasumoto H, Kim S, Zhan Y, Miyazaki H, Hoshiga M, Kaneda Y, et al. Dominant negative c-jun gene transfer inhibits vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation and neointimal hyperplasia in rats. Gene Ther. 2001;8:1682–9. CrossRef
- Wood IS, Wang B, Trayhurn P. IL-33, a recently identified interleukin-1 gene family member, is expressed in human adipocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;384:105–9. CrossRef
- Hata K, Andoh A, Shimada M, Fujino S, Bamba S, Araki Y, et al. IL-17 stimulates inflammatory responses via NF-kappaB and MAP kinase pathways in human colonic myofibroblasts. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2002;282:G1035–44.
- Alessi DR, Cuenda A, Cohen P, Dudley DT, Saltiel AR. PD 098059 is a specific inhibitor of the activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:27489–94. CrossRef
- Favata MF, Horiuchi KY, Manos EJ, Daulerio AJ, Stradley DA, Feeser WS, et al. Identification of a novel inhibitor of mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:18623–32. CrossRef
- Cuenda A, Rouse J, Doza YN, Meier R, Cohen P, Gallagher TF, et al. SB 203580 is a specific inhibitor of a MAP kinase homologue which is stimulated by cellular stresses and interleukin-1. FEBS Lett. 1995;364:229–33. CrossRef
- Fang J, Ding M, Yang L, Liu LZ, Jiang BH. PI3K/PTEN/AKT signaling regulates prostate tumor angiogenesis. Cell Signal. 2007;19:2487–97. CrossRef
- Ding SZ, Olekhnovich IN, Cover TL, Peek RM Jr, Smith MF Jr, Goldberg JB. Helicobacter pylori and mitogen-activated protein kinases mediate activator protein-1 (AP-1) subcomponent protein expression and DNA-binding activity in gastric epithelial cells. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2008;53:385–94. CrossRef
- Mukhopadhyay S, Mukherjee S, Smith M, Das SK. Activation of MAPK/AP-1 signaling pathway in lung injury induced by 2-chloroethyl ethyl sulfide, a mustard gas analog. Toxicol Lett. 2008;181:112–7. CrossRef
- Prefontaine D, Lajoie-Kadoch S, Foley S, Audusseau S, Olivenstein R, Halayko AJ, et al. Increased expression of IL-33 in severe asthma: evidence of expression by airway smooth muscle cells. J Immunol. 2009;183:5094–103. CrossRef
- Bouma G, Strober W. The immunological and genetic basis of inflammatory bowel disease. Nat Rev Immunol. 2003;3:521–33. CrossRef
- Holtta V, Klemetti P, Sipponen T, Westerholm-Ormio M, Kociubinski G, Salo H, et al. IL-23/IL-17 immunity as a hallmark of Crohn’s disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2008;14:1175–84. CrossRef
- Rank MA, Kobayashi T, Kozaki H, Bartemes KR, Squillace DL, Kita H. IL-33-activated dendritic cells induce an atypical TH2-type response. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;123:1047–54. CrossRef
- Ho LH, Ohno T, Oboki K, Kajiwara N, Suto H, Iikura M, et al. IL-33 induces IL-13 production by mouse mast cells independently of IgE-FcepsilonRI signals. J Leukoc Biol. 2007;82:1481–90. CrossRef
- Heller F, Florian P, Bojarski C, Richter J, Christ M, Hillenbrand B, et al. Interleukin-13 is the key effector Th2 cytokine in ulcerative colitis that affects epithelial tight junctions, apoptosis, and cell restitution. Gastroenterology. 2005;129:550–64.
- Interleukin-33 expression is specifically enhanced in inflamed mucosa of ulcerative colitis
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 45, Issue 10 , pp 999-1007
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta Tukinowa, Otsu, 520-2192, Japan
- 2. Division of Mucosal Immunology, Graduate School of Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta Tukinowa, Otsu, 520-2192, Japan