Decreased production of immunoglobulin M and A in autoimmune pancreatitis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Autoimmune pancreatitis (AIP) is a rare type of chronic pancreatitis caused by an autoimmune abnormality. It is well known that high serum concentrations of IgG4 are helpful for making a diagnosis of AIP; however, it is unclear whether there are abnormalities in the production of other immunoglobulins in AIP.
We examined the immune condition of AIP patients before and after glucocorticoid treatment, focusing on serum levels of IgG, IgG4, IgM and IgA, and compared the results with those in other hepato-pancreatic diseases, such as autoimmune hepatitis, primary biliary cirrhosis, chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic carcinoma.
IgM and IgA were decreased in patients with untreated AIP. IgM and IgG or IgG4 were negatively correlated in patients with AIP. The ratios of IgG to IgM and IgG to IgA in patients with AIP were significantly increased compared with the other diseases. The diagnostic sensitivity of IgG to IgM and IgG to IgA was 0.800 and 0.950, and the specificity of each ratio was 0.703 and 0.728, respectively, in the differentiation of AIP from the other diseases. IgM was not significantly changed after glucocorticoid treatment in the patients with AIP, while IgG, IgG4 and IgA decreased.
The ratios of IgG to IgM and IgG to IgA may serve as novel diagnostic markers to differentiate AIP from other hepato-pancreatic diseases. Furthermore, low concentrations of IgM and IgA may be involved in the pathogenesis of AIP.
- Otsuki M. Chronic pancreatitis in Japan: epidemiology, prognosis, diagnostic criteria, and future problems. J Gastroenterol. 2003;38:315–26. CrossRef
- Otsuki M. Chronic pancreatitis. The problems of diagnostic criteria. Pancreatology. 2004;4:28–41. CrossRef
- Steer ML, Waxman I, Freedman S. Chronic pancreatitis. N Engl J Med. 1995;332:1482–90. CrossRef
- Whitcomb DC. Mechanisms of disease: advances in understanding the mechanisms leading to chronic pancreatitis. Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004;1:46–52. CrossRef
- Yoshida K, Toki F, Takeuchi T, Watanabe S, Shiratori K, Hayashi N. Chronic pancreatitis caused by an autoimmune abnormality. Proposal of the concept of autoimmune pancreatitis. Dig Dis Sci. 1995;40:1561–8. CrossRef
- Hamano H, Kawa S, Horiuchi A, Unno H, Furuya N, Akamatsu T, et al. High serum IgG4 concentrations in patients with sclerosing pancreatitis. N Engl J Med. 2001;344:732–8. CrossRef
- Kamisawa T, Funata N, Hayashi Y, Tsuruta K, Okamoto A, Amemiya K, et al. Close relationship between autoimmune pancreatitis and multifocal fibrosclerosis. Gut. 2003;52:683–7. CrossRef
- Okazaki K, Chiba T. Autoimmune related pancreatitis. Gut. 2002;51:1–4. CrossRef
- Okazaki K, Uchida K, Fukui T. Recent advances in autoimmune pancreatitis: concept, diagnosis, and pathogenesis. J Gastroenterol. 2008;43:409–18. CrossRef
- Okazaki K, Kawa S, Kamisawa T, Naruse S, Tanaka S, Nishimori I, et al. Clinical diagnostic criteria of autoimmune pancreatitis: revised proposal. J Gastroenterol. 2006;41:626–31. CrossRef
- Alvarez F, Berg PA, Bianchi FB, Bianchi L, Burroughs AK, Cancado EL, et al. International Autoimmune Hepatitis Group Report: review of criteria for diagnosis of autoimmune hepatitis. J Hepatol. 1999;31:929–38. CrossRef
- Heathcote EJ. Management of primary biliary cirrhosis. The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases practice guidelines. Hepatology. 2000;31:1005–13. CrossRef
- Goldstein MF, Goldstein AL, Dunsky EH, Dvorin DJ, Belecanech GA. Shamir K Selective IgM immunodeficiency: retrospective analysis of 36 adult patients with review of the literature. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2006;97:717–30.
- Chandra RK, Kaveramma B, Soothill JF. Generalised non-progressive vaccinia associated with IgM deficiency. Lancet. 1969;1:687–9. CrossRef
- Hobbs JR. IgM deficiency. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser. 1975;11:112–6.
- Blecher TE, Brzechwa-Ajdukiewicz A, McCarthy CF, Read AE. Serum immunoglobulins and lymphocyte transformation studies in coeliac disease. Gut. 1969;10:57–62. CrossRef
- Kimura S, Tanigawa M, Nakahashi Y, Inoue M, Yamamura Y, Kato H, et al. Selective IgM deficiency in a patient with Hashimoto’s disease. Intern Med. 1993;32:302–7. CrossRef
- Komatsu K, Hamano H, Ochi Y, Takayama M, Muraki T, Yoshizawa K, et al. High prevalence of hypothyroidism in patients with autoimmune pancreatitis. Dig Dis Sci. 2005;50:1052–7. CrossRef
- Raziuddin S, Danial HB, Kelley M. OKT4+ T cell abnormality in patients with active systemic lupus erythematosus: HLA-DR antigen expressions. Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1988;48:42–9. CrossRef
- Takeuchi T, Nakagawa T, Maeda Y, Hirano S, Sasaki-Hayashi M, Makino S, et al. Functional defect of B lymphocytes in a patient with selective IgM deficiency associated with systemic lupus erythematosus. Autoimmunity. 2001;34:115–22. CrossRef
- Boes M, Schmidt T, Linkemann K, Beaudette BC, Marshak-Rothstein A, Chen J. Accelerated development of IgG autoantibodies and autoimmune disease in the absence of secreted IgM. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2000;97:1184–9. CrossRef
- Botto M, Dell’Agnola C, Bygrave AE, Thompson EM, Cook HT, Petry F, et al. Homozygous C1q deficiency causes glomerulonephritis associated with multiple apoptotic bodies. Nat Genet. 1998;19:56–9. CrossRef
- Muraki T, Hamano H, Ochi Y, Komatsu K, Komiyama Y, Arakura N, et al. Autoimmune pancreatitis and complement activation system. Pancreas. 2006;32:16–21. CrossRef
- Mestecky J, Russell MW, Elson CO. Intestinal IgA: novel views on its function in the defence of the largest mucosal surface. Gut. 1999;44:2–5. CrossRef
- Jacob CM, Pastorino AC, Fahl K, Carneiro-Sampaio M, Monteiro RC. Autoimmunity in IgA deficiency: revisiting the role of IgA as a silent housekeeper. J Clin Immunol. 2008;28(Suppl 1):S56–61. CrossRef
- Carneiro-Sampaio M, Coutinho A. Tolerance and autoimmunity: lessons at the bedside of primary immunodeficiencies. Adv Immunol. 2007;95:51–82. CrossRef
- Goldstein MF, Goldstein AL, Dunsky EH, Dvorin DJ, Belecanech GA, Shamir K. Pediatric selective IgM immunodeficiency. Clin Dev Immunol. 2008;2008:624850.
- Hammarstrom L, Vorechovsky I, Webster D. Selective IgA deficiency (SIgAD) and common variable immunodeficiency (CVID). Clin Exp Immunol. 2000;120:225–31. CrossRef
- Rhen T, Cidlowski JA. Antiinflammatory action of glucocorticoids new mechanisms for old drugs. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:1711–23. CrossRef
- Decreased production of immunoglobulin M and A in autoimmune pancreatitis
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 44, Issue 11 , pp 1133-1139
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Autoimmune pancreatitis
- Immunoglobulin A
- Immunoglobulin G
- Immunoglobulin M
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Third Department of Internal Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Japan School of Medicine, 1-1 Iseigaoka, Yahatanishi-ku, Kitakyushu, 807-8555, Japan