Expression of OATP1B3 determines uptake of Gd-EOB-DTPA in hepatocellular carcinoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Gadolinium-ethoxybenzyl-diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid (Gd-EOB-DTPA) is an MRI contrast agent with perfusion and hepatoselective properties. The purpose of the study was to examine uptake of Gd-EOB-DTPA in the hepatobiliary phase in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
A retrospective analysis of 22 patients with HCC who underwent preoperative Gd-EOB-DTPA-enhanced MRI was performed. Enhancement ratios (ERs) and expression levels of the organic anion transporter (OATP) 1B3 protein were examined.
Gd-EOB-DTPA accumulated in the hepatobiliary phase in 6 of the 22 cases. All 6 Gd-EOB-DTPA-positive cases were moderately differentiated HCC, but 11 other moderately differentiated HCCs did not show Gd-EOB-DTPA uptake. Histopathologically, 4 Gd-EOB-DTPA-positive HCCs and 5 Gd-EOB-DTPA-negative HCCs produced bile. HCCs with Gd-EOB-DTPA uptake overexpressed OATP1B3 compared with HCCs without Gd-EOB-DTPA uptake, and OATP1B3 levels were significantly correlated with ERs (r = 0.91, P < 0.0001).
Uptake of Gd-EOB-DTPA in HCC is determined by expression of OATP1B3 rather than by tumor differentiation or bile production.
- Semelka RC, Helmberger TK. Contrast agents for MR imaging of the liver. Radiology. 2001;218:27–38.
- Hamm B, Staks T, Muhler A, Bollow M, Taupitz M, Frenzel T, et al. Phase I clinical evaluation of Gd-EOB-DTPA as a hepatobiliary MR contrast agent: safety, pharmacokinetics, and MR imaging. Radiology. 1995;195:785–92.
- Vogl TJ, Kummel S, Hammerstingl R, Schellenbeck M, Schumacher G, Balzer T, et al. Liver tumors: comparison of MR imaging with Gd-EOB-DTPA and Gd-DTPA. Radiology. 1996;200:59–67.
- Reimer P, Rummeny EJ, Shamsi K, Balzer T, Daldrup HE, Tombach B, et al. Phase II clinical evaluation of Gd-EOB-DTPA: dose, safety aspects, and pulse sequence. Radiology. 1996;199:177–83.
- Zech CJ, Herrmann KA, Reiser MF, Schoenberg SO. MR imaging in patients with suspected liver metastases: value of liver-specific contrast agent Gd-EOB-DTPA. Magn Reson Med Sci. 2007;6:43–52. CrossRef
- Ichikawa T. MRI in the evaluation of hepatocellular nodules: role of pulse sequences and contrast agents. Intervirology. 2004;47:252–70. CrossRef
- Huppertz A, Haraida S, Kraus A, Zech CJ, Scheidler J, Breuer J, et al. Enhancement of focal liver lesions at gadoxetic acid-enhanced MR imaging: correlation with histopathologic findings and spiral CT—initial observations. Radiology. 2005;234:468–78. CrossRef
- Saito K, Kotake F, Ito N, Ozuki T, Mikami R, Abe K, et al. Gd-EOB-DTPA enhanced MRI for hepatocellular carcinoma: quantitative evaluation of tumor enhancement in hepatobiliary phase. Magn Reson Med Sci. 2005;4:1–9. CrossRef
- Scheuer PJ, Lefkowitch JH. Liver biopsy interpretation. 7th edn. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2006.
- Fujita M, Yamamoto R, Takahashi M, Tsuji T, Yamanaka T, Miyazawa T, et al. Paradoxic uptake of Gd-EOB-DTPA by hepatocellular carcinoma in mice: quantitative image analysis. J Magn Reson Imaging. 1997;7:768–70. CrossRef
- Ni Y, Marchal G, Yu J, Muhler A, Lukito G, Baert AL. Prolonged positive contrast enhancement with Gd-EOB-DTPA in experimental liver tumors: potential value in tissue characterization. J Magn Reson Imaging. 1994;4:355–63. CrossRef
- Konig J, Seithel A, Gradhand U, Fromm MF. Pharmacogenomics of human OATP transporters. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2006;372:432–43. CrossRef
- van Montfoort JE, Stieger B, Meijer DK, Weinmann HJ, Meier PJ, Fattinger KE. Hepatic uptake of the magnetic resonance imaging contrast agent gadoxetate by the organic anion transporting polypeptide Oatp1. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1999;290:153–7.
- Libra A, Fernetti C, Lorusso V, Visigalli M, Anelli PL, Staud F, et al. Molecular determinants in the transport of a bile acid-derived diagnostic agent in tumoral and nontumoral cell lines of human liver. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2006;319:809–17. CrossRef
- Pascolo L, Petrovic S, Cupelli F, Bruschi CV, Anelli PL, Lorusso V, et al. Abc protein transport of MRI contrast agents in canalicular rat liver plasma vesicles and yeast vacuoles. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;282:60–6. CrossRef
- Borst P, Elferink RO. Mammalian ABC transporters in health and disease. Annu Rev Biochem. 2002;71:537–92. CrossRef
- Abe T, Unno M, Onogawa T, Tokui T, Kondo TN, Nakagomi R, et al. LST-2, a human liver-specific organic anion transporter, determines methotrexate sensitivity in gastrointestinal cancers. Gastroenterology. 2001;120:1689–99. CrossRef
- Smith NF, Acharya MR, Desai N, Figg WD, Sparreboom A. Identification of OATP1B3 as a high-affinity hepatocellular transporter of paclitaxel. Cancer Biol Ther. 2005;4:815–8. CrossRef
- Expression of OATP1B3 determines uptake of Gd-EOB-DTPA in hepatocellular carcinoma
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 44, Issue 7 , pp 793-798
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Green hepatoma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Shogoin-Kawahara-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 606-8507, Japan
- 2. Department of Diagnostic Imaging and Nuclear Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
- 3. Department of Diagnostic Pathology, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto, Japan