Treatment of hepatitis C in hemodialysis patients using pegylated interferon α-2a in Turkey
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is prevalent in renal insufficient patients. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of pegylated interferon α-2a (peg-IFN-α-2a) among these patients.
Among 437 patients within total hemodialysis population in hemodialysis units, in total 83 patients (19.0%) were anti-HCV positive and of these 83 patients, 33 (39.7%) were HCV-RNA positive. Treatment was initiated in 33 patients who had chronic HCV infection. All patients were found to be HCV-RNA positive. During treatment, peg-IFN-α-2a (40 kDa), 135 μg/week was used on these 33 patients.
Twenty-six (78.8%) of the 33 patients enrolled in the study completed the treatment. Two patients (6.0%) did not complete treatment because they had serious adverse events such as anemia and thrombocytopenia. At the onset of treatment, while all of 26 patients were HCV RNA positive, HCV RNA turned to negative in all 26 patients 3 months after treatment.
At the end of the study, peg-IFN-α-2a treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis C on maintenance hemodialysis may improve prognosis and their quality of life.
- Sy T, Jamal MM. Epidemiology of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. Int J Med Sci. 2006;3:41–5.
- Muir AJ, Bornstein JD, Killenberg PG. Peginterferon alfa-2b and ribavirin for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C in blacks and non-Hispanic whites. N Engl J Med. 2004;350:2265–71. CrossRef
- Poordad FFF, Fabrizi Martin P. Hepatitis C infection associated with renal disease and chronic renal failure. Semin Liver Dis. 2004;24(Suppl 2):69–77. CrossRef
- Bozdayi G, Rota S, Verdi H, Derici U, Sindel S. Investigation of the presence of hepatitis C virus infection in haemodialysis patients and determination of HCV genotypes. Bull Microbiol. 2002;36:247–52.
- Koksal I, Biberoglu K, Biberoglu S, Koc F, Ayma Y, Koksal H. Hepatitis C virus antibodies among risk groups in Turkey. Infection. 1991;19:228–9. CrossRef
- Fabrizi F, Poordad F, Martin P. Hepatitis C infection and the patient with end-stage renal disease. Hepatology. 2002;36:3–10. CrossRef
- Gane E. Renal transplantation in chronic hepatitis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004;19:99–102. CrossRef
- Meyers CM, Seeff LB, Stehman-Breen CO, et al. Hepatitis C and renal disease: an update. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003;42:631–57. CrossRef
- Kokoglu OF, Uçmak H, Hosoglu S, Cetinkaya A, Kantarceken B, Buyukbese MA, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of pegylated-interferon α-2a in hemodialysis patients with chronic hepatitis C. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006;21:575–80. CrossRef
- Bruchfeld A, Lindahl K, Reichard O, et al. Pegylated interferon and ribavirin treatment for hepatitis C in haemodialysis patients. J Viral Hepatol. 2006;13:316–21. CrossRef
- Sikole A, Dzekova P, Selja N, Gaseva M, Nikolov IG, Zabzun M, et al. Treatment of hepatitis C in hemodialysis patients with pegylated interferon α-2a as Monotherapy. Renal Fail. 2007;29:961–6. CrossRef
- Casanovas-Taltavull T, Baliellas C, Llobet M, Cruzado JM, Castellote J, Casanova A, et al. Preliminary results of treatment with pegylated interferon α-2a for chronic hepatitis C virus in kidney transplant candidates on hemodialysis. Transpl Proc. 2007;39:2125–7. CrossRef
- Teta D, Luscher BL, Gonvers JJ, et al. Pegylated interferon for the treatment of hepatitis C virus in hemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005;20:991–3. CrossRef
- Russo MW, Ghalib L, Sigal S, Joshi V. Randomized trial of pegylated interferon α-2b monotherapy in haemodialysis patients with chronic hepatitis C. Nephrol Dial Transpl. 2006;21:437–43. CrossRef
- Strader DB, Wright T, Thomas DL, Seeff LB. Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C. AASLD practice guideline. Hepatology. 2004;39:1147–71. CrossRef
- Sporea I, Popescu A, Sirli R, et al. Pegylated-interferon α-2a treatment for chronic hepatitis C in patients on chronic hemodialysis. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12:4191–4.
- La-Roche H. Pegasys treatment algorithm for healthcare professionals. 2006. Available at: http://www.pegasys.com/treatment/default.aspx.
- Widell A, Mansson S, Persson NH, Thysell H, Hermodsson S, Blohme I. Hepatitis C superinfection in hepatitis C virus (HCV) infected patients transplanted with an HCV-infected kidney. Transplantation. 1995;60:642–7. CrossRef
- Fabrizi F, Dulai G, Dixit V, et al. Meta-analysis: interferon for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C in dialysis patients. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2003;18:1071–81. CrossRef
- http://tsn.org.tr/documents/registry/TND%20Registry%20kure%20son.pdf, 30 June 2008.
- Treatment of hepatitis C in hemodialysis patients using pegylated interferon α-2a in Turkey
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 44, Issue 4 , pp 353-358
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Pegylated interferon α-2a
- Hepatitis C infection
- Hemodialysis patients
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Clinic, Izmir Tepecik Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
- 2. Transplantation Unit of Surgery, Izmir Tepecik Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
- 3. Dialysis Unit of Internal Diseases, Izmir Tepecik Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
- 4. Ugur Dialysis Center, Izmir, Turkey
- 5. Gunes Dialysis Center, Izmir, Turkey