Therapeutic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography using an anterior oblique-viewing endoscope for bile duct stones in patients with prior Billroth II gastrectomy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Prior Billroth II gastrectomy is an important factor presenting difficulties in endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) administration. We retrospectively evaluated the usefulness and safety of therapeutic ERCP using an anterior oblique-viewing endoscope for bile duct stones in patients with prior Billroth II gastrectomy.
Forty-three patients with bile duct stones after Billroth II gastrectomy who underwent ERCP from January 1998 to February 2008 were enrolled in this study. We used anterior oblique-viewing endoscopes for all procedures. Endoscopic sphincterotomy was performed using a needle knife guided by a biliary stent. A total of 808 patients without gastrectomy who had undergone ERCP for bile duct stones in the same period were reviewed as controls.
The success rate of access to the papilla of Vater was 88.4%, and the average time required for such access was 13 min. In cases of successful access, selective cannulation of the bile duct and complete stone removal were achieved in 94.7% and 94.6% of patients, respectively. The incidence of complications was 4.7%. As for the success rate of selective cannulation, complete stone removal ratio, and the incidence of complications, there were no significant differences compared with the control group.
Use of an anterior oblique-viewing endoscope enables good success rates in selective cannulation and complete stone removal to be achieved in patients with prior Billroth II gastrectomy. The safety of therapeutic ERCP for removal of bile duct stones in those patients is comparable to that in patients with normal anatomy.
- Forbes A, Cotton PB. ERCP and sphincterotomy after Billroth II gastrectomy. Gut 1984;25:971–974. CrossRef
- Osnes M, Rosseland AR, Aabakken L. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiography and endoscopic papillotomy in patients with a previous Billroth-II resection. Gut 1986;27:1193–1198. CrossRef
- Kikuyama M, Matsubayashi Y, Kageyama F, Sumiyoshi S, Kobayashi Y. Oblique-viewing endoscope facilitates endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography and associated procedures in post-Billroth II gastrectomy patients. Digestive Endosc 2005;17:9–12. CrossRef
- Ito K, Fujita N, Noda Y, Kobayashi G, Horaguchi J, Takasawa O, et al. Efficacy and safety of prophylactic pancreatic duct stent (Pit-stent) placement in patients at high risk of post-ERCP pancreatitis. Dig Endosc 2007;19:130–133. CrossRef
- Cotton PB, Lehman G, Vennes J, Geenen JE, Russell RC, Meyers WC, et al. Endoscopic sphincterotomy complications and their management: an attempt at consensus. Gastrointest Endosc 1991;37:383–393. CrossRef
- Kim MH, Lee SK, Lee MH, Myung SJ, Yoo BM, Seo DW, et al. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography and needle-knife sphincterotomy in patients with Billroth II gastrectomy: a comparative study of the forward-viewing endoscope and the side-viewing duodenoscope. Endoscopy 1997;29:82–85. CrossRef
- Ciçek B, Parlak E, Disibeyaz S, Koksal AS, Sahin B. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in patients with Billroth II gastroenterostomy. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007;22:1210–1213. CrossRef
- Faylona JM, Qadir A, Chan AC, Lau JY, Chung SC. Small-bowel perforation related to endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in patients with Billroth II gastrectomy. Endoscopy 1999;31:546–549. CrossRef
- Furuya N, Mukawa K, Maejima S, Ochi Y, Horiuchi A, Arakura N, et al. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in patients with Billroth II gastrectomy [in Japanese with English abstract]. Gastroenterol Endosc 1997;39:2446–2453.
- Muraki T, Komatsu K, Hamano H, Niikura N, Ochi Y, Kiyosawa T, et al. Difficult cases of endoscopic access to the papilla of Vater-Billroth II gastrectomy patients [in Japanese]. Tan to Sui (J Bil Panc) 2005;26:7–10.
- Bergman JJ, van Berkel AM, Bruno MJ, Fockenes P, Rauws EA, Tijssen JG, et al. A randomized trial of endoscopic balloon dilation and endoscopic sphincterotomy for removal of bile duct stones in patients with a prior Billroth II gastrectomy. Gastrointest Endosc 2001;53:19–26. CrossRef
- Hintze RE, Adler A, Veltzke W, Abou-Rebyeh H. Endoscopic access to the papilla of Vater for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in patients with Billroth II or Roux-en-Y gastrojejunostomy. Endoscopy 1998;29:69–73. CrossRef
- Bagci S, Tuzun A, Ates Y, Gulsen M, Uygun A, Yesilova Z, et al. Efficacy and safety of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in patients with Billroth II anastomosis. Hepatogastroenterology 2005;52:356–359.
- K Swarnker, JD Stamatakis, WT Young. Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreaticography after Billroth II gastrectomy-safe provision in district general hospital. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2005;87:274–276. CrossRef
- Ogawa S, Nishiki S, Maekawa M, Takeuchi M, Ooki H, Kobaru A, et al. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) and endoscopic sphincterotomy (EST) in patients with Billroth II reconstruction using a front-view type endoscope with a transparent hood attached to the tip [in Japanese with English abstract]. Gastroenterol Endosc 1993;35:489–497.
- Thon HJ, Löffler A, Buess G, Gheorghiu T. Is ERCP a reasonable diagnostic method for excluding pancreatic and hepatobiliary disease in patients with a Billroth II resection? Endoscopy 1983;15:93–95. CrossRef
- Baron TH. Double-balloon enteroscopy to facilitate retrograde PEG placement as access for therapeutic ERCP in patients with long-limb gastric bypass. Gastrointest Endosc 2006;64:973–974. CrossRef
- Tanaka S, Mitsui K, Sakamoto C. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiography in patient with Billroth II reconstruction using doubleballoon endoscopy. Shokaki Naishikyo (Endosc Dig) 2005;17:520–522.
- Lee YT. Cap-assisted endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in a patient with a Billroth II gastrectomy. Endoscopy 2004;36:666. CrossRef
- Chang HP, Wan SL, Young EJ, Hyun SK, Sung KC, Jong SR. Cap-assisted ERCP in patients with a Billroth II gastrectomy. Gastrointest Endosc 2007;66:612–615. CrossRef
- Shinozuka N, Okada K, Torii T, Hirooka E, Taga M, Toshimitsu Y, et al. Experience in tip-angled cannula use in endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. Rinsyo Geka 2005;60:669–672.
- Ricci E, Bertoni G, Conigliaro R, Contini S, Mortilla MG, Bedogni G. Endoscopic sphincterotomy in Billroth II patients: an improved method using a diathermic needle as sphincterotome and a nasobiliary drain as guide. Gastrointest Endosc 1989;35:47–50. CrossRef
- Fujita N, Maguchi H, Komatsu Y. Endoscopic sphincterotomy and endoscopic papillary balloon dilatation for bile duct stones: a prospective randomized controlled multicenter trial. Gastrointest Endosc 2003;57:151–155. CrossRef
- Ersoz G, Tekesm O, Ozutemiz AO, Gunsar F. Biliary sphincterotomy plus dilation with a large balloon for bile duct stones that are difficult to extract. Gastrointest Endosc 2003;57:156–159. CrossRef
- Lee DK, Lee BJ, Hwhang SJ, Baik YH, Lee SJ. Endoscopic papillary large balloon dilation after endoscopic sphincterotomy for treatment of large common bile duct stone. Dig Endosc 2007;19:52–56. CrossRef
- Minami A, Hirose S, Nomoto T, Hayakawa S. Small sphincterotomy combined with papillary dilation with large balloon permits retrieval of large stones without mechanical lithotripsy. World J Gastroenterol 2007;13:2179–2182.
- Heo JH, Kang DH, Jung HJ, Kwon DS, An JK, Kim BS, et al. Endoscopic sphincterotomy plus large-balloon dilation versus endoscopic sphincterotomy for removal of bile-duct stones. Gastrointest Endosc 2007;66:720–726. CrossRef
- Therapeutic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography using an anterior oblique-viewing endoscope for bile duct stones in patients with prior Billroth II gastrectomy
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 44, Issue 3 , pp 212-217
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Billroth II gastrectomy
- bile duct stone
- endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- endoscopic sphincterotomy (EST)
- anterior oblique-viewing endoscope
- Industry Sectors