Article

Journal of Gastroenterology

, Volume 40, Issue 6, pp 625-630

First online:

Clinical course of patients with chronic hepatitis B with viral breakthrough during long-term lamivudine treatment

  • Tatsuya IdeAffiliated withSecond Department of Internal Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine
  • , Ryukichi KumashiroAffiliated withSecond Department of Internal Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine
  • , Reiichiro KuwaharaAffiliated withSecond Department of Internal Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine
  • , Hiroyuki KogaAffiliated withSecond Department of Internal Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine
  • , Yuriko KogaAffiliated withSecond Department of Internal Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine
  • , Teruko HinoAffiliated withSecond Department of Internal Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine
  • , Kazuo TanakaAffiliated withSecond Department of Internal Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine
  • , Akiko HisamochiAffiliated withSecond Department of Internal Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine
  • , Kei OgataAffiliated withSecond Department of Internal Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine
    • , Michio SataAffiliated withSecond Department of Internal Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine

Rent the article at a discount

Rent now

* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.

Get Access

Abstract

Background

We evaluated the clinical course of patients with chronic hepatitis B who showed viral breakthrough during long-term lamivudine therapy.

Methods

We initially studied 141 patients treated with lamivudine for 1 year or more, and 49 patients who showed viral breakthrough were the subjects of this study. Their mean lamivudine administration period was 2.3 ± 0.9 years.

Results

After viral breakthrough, breakthrough hepatitis occurred in 47 patients (95.9%), but did not occur in the other 2 (4.1%). Four of the 47 patients with breakthrough hepatitis were observed without further treatment, and the alanine transferase (ALT) level was normalized in 2 of them but fluctuated in the other 2. Breakthrough hepatitis was treated by injection of glycyrrhizin or ursodeoxycholic acid administration in 36 of the remaining 43 patients, and by antiviral drug administration in the other 7 (entecavir in 2 patients, adefovir in 2, and interferon in 3). The ALT level was normalized in 5 of the 36 patients treated with glycyrrhizin or ursodeoxycholic acid, but persistently fluctuated in the other 31. In those with normalized ALT after the occurrence of breakthrough hepatitis, the peak ALT level at that point was significantly lower (86 ± 47 IU/l) than that in the patients without normalization (206 ± 167 IU/l).

Conclusions

These results showed that there were a few patients who did not develop breakthrough hepatitis after showing viral breakthrough, and some who showed normalization of the ALT level after the occurrence of breakthrough hepatitis, but in many patients, ALT continuously fluctuated.

Key words

lamivudine viral breakthrough breakthrough hepatitis YMDD mutants