Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery

, Volume 8, Issue 3, pp 221–223

Laparoscopic necrosectomy for acute necrotizing pancreatitis

  • Vicken N. Pamoukian
  • Michel Gagner

DOI: 10.1007/s005340170020

Cite this article as:
Pamoukian, V. & Gagner, M. J Hep Bil Pancr Surg (2001) 8: 221. doi:10.1007/s005340170020

Abstract

Severe acute pancreatitis (SAP), a disease state that is often complicated by an intricate pathologic process, has remained difficult to manage and is associated with high morbidity and mortality rates. Approximately 80% of patients have a mild form of the disease, while the other 20% develop a severe life-threatening form of the disease. These patients are at great risk for infection, multisystem organ failure, and, possibly, death. Necrotizing or infected pancreatitis requires a multimodal approach and often offers an indication for surgical intervention. The retroperitoneum of the patient with necrotizing pancreatitis should be treated as an abscess cavity, and drainage and debridement of all necrotic tissue should be performed. Over the past several decades, great achievements have been made in the treatment of the patient that presents with acute pancreatitis. However, the morbidity and mortality have remained high, according to recent literature. The laparoscopic era brings new alternatives in the surgical management of pancreatic diseases. Advances in laparoscopic technology and instrumentation allow the utilization of minimally invasive techniques, and lessen the stress of surgery in the already compromised pancreatitic patient.

Key words Laparoscopicnecrosectomypancreatitis

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag Tokyo 2001

Authors and Affiliations

  • Vicken N. Pamoukian
    • 1
  • Michel Gagner
    • 1
  1. 1.Department of Minimally Invasive Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center, 19 East 98th Street, Suite 5A, New York, NY 10029, United StatesUS