Are there specific health-related factors that can accentuate the risk of suicide among men with prostate cancer?
The aim of this study was to explore if there were some specific factors pertinent to health-related quality of life (HRQoL) that could affect self-experienced suicide ideation in men with prostate cancer (PCa).
Questionnaires containing 45 items were distributed to members of the Swedish Prostate Cancer Federation in May 2012. Out of 6,400 distributed questionnaires, 3,165 members (50 %) with PCa completed the questionnaires. Those members expressed their experienced HRQoL and experienced suicide ideation using VAS-like scales as well as multiple-choice questions. Both descriptive and analytical statistical methods were employed. A regression model was used to explore the relationship between experienced health-related quality of life and experienced suicide ideation.
Generally, the respondents rated their self-experienced health-related quality of life as good. About 40 % of the participants had experienced problem with incontinence, and 23 % had obstructions during miction. About 7 % of the respondents experienced suicidal ideation, at least sometime. The regression model showed statistically significant relationships between suicide ideation, on the one hand, and lower self-rated health-related quality of life (P < 0.001), physical pain (P = 0.04), pain during miction (P = 0.03), and low-rated mental / physical energy (P = 0.03), on the other.
It is quite necessary to know which specific disease and treatment-related problems can trigger suicide ideations in men with prostate cancer and to try to direct treatment, care, and psychosocial resources to alleviate these problems in time.
- National Prostate Cancer Register (NPCR). National quality report for the year of diagnosis 2011. (2011) http://www.mkmedia.se/kunder/suf/sites/default/files/pagefiles/20121107_NPCR_Rapport_2011.pdf. Accessed 24 Aug 2013.
- Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (NBHW) and the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR). Quality and efficiency in Swedish health care—regional comparison 2011. Art. no: 2012–3–15. ISBN 978-91-7164-784-9.
- The Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare. Cancer incidence in Sweden 2011. ISBN 978-91-7555-003-9. Article No. 2012-12-19.
- Pompili M, Serafini G, Innamorati M, Möller-Leimkühler AM, Giupponi G, Girardi P, Tatarelli R, Lester D (2010) The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and serotonin abnormalities: a selective overview for the implications of suicide prevention. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 260(8):583–600 CrossRef
- Joiner TE Jr, Brown JS, Wingate LR (2005) The psychology and neurobiology of suicidal behavior. Annu Rev Psychol 56:287–314 CrossRef
- Walker J, Waters RA, Murray G, Swanson H, Hibberd CJ, Rush RW, Storey DJ, Strong VA, Fallon MT, Wall LR, Sharpe M (2008) Better off dead: suicidal thoughts in cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 26(29):4725–4730 CrossRef
- Ilic D, Neuberger MM, Djulbegovic M, Dahm P (2013) Screening for prostate cancer (2013). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 1, CD004720
- Namiki S, Arai Y (2010) Health-related quality of life in men with localized prostate cancer. Int J Urol 17(2):125–138 CrossRef
- Fransson P, Damber JE, Widmark A (2009) Health-related quality of life 10 years after external beam radiotherapy or watchful waiting in patients with localized prostate cancer. Scand J Urol Nephrol 43:119–126 CrossRef
- Johansson E, Steineck G, Holmberg L, Johansson JE, Nyberg T, Ruutu M, Bill-Axelson A, SPCG-4 Investigators (2011) Long-term quality-of-life outcomes after radical prostatectomy or watchful waiting: the Scandinavian Prostate Cancer Group-4 randomised trial. Lancet Oncol 12:891–899 CrossRef
- Wilt TJ, MacDonald R, Rutks I, Shamliyan TA, Taylor BC, Kane RL (2008) Systematic review: comparative effectiveness and harms of treatments for clinically localized prostate cancer. Ann Intern Med 148:435–448 CrossRef
- Vanagas G, Mickeviciene A, Ulys A (2013) Does quality of life of prostate cancer patients differ by stage and treatment? Scand J Public Health 41:58–64 CrossRef
- Huang GJ, Sadetsky N, Penson DF (2010) Health related quality of life for men treated for localized prostate cancer with long-term follow up. J Urol 183:2206–2212 CrossRef
- Chambers SK, Pinnock C, Lepore SJ, Hughes S, O’Connell DL (2011) A systematic review of psychosocial interventions for men with prostate cancer and their partners. Patient Educ Couns 85:e75–e88 CrossRef
- Reeve BB, Stover AM, Jensen RE, Chen RC, Taylor KL, Clauser SB, Collins SP, Potosky AL (2012) Impact of diagnosis and treatment of clinically localized prostate cancer on health-related quality of life for older Americans: a population-based study. Cancer 118:5679–5687 CrossRef
- Fransson P, Lund JA, Damber JE, Klepp O, Wiklund F, Fosså S, Widmark A, Scandinavian Prostate Cancer Group Study 7, Swedish Association for Urological Oncology 3 (2009) Quality of life in patients with locally advanced prostate cancer given endocrine treatment with or without radiotherapy: 4-year follow-up of SPCG-7/SFUO-3, an open-label, randomised, phase III trial. Lancet Oncol 10:370–80 CrossRef
- Robson A, Scrutton F, Wilkinson L, MacLeod F (2010) The risk of suicide in cancer patients: a review of the literature. Psychooncology 19:1250–1258 CrossRef
- Anguiano L, Mayer DK, Piven ML, Rosenstein D (2012) A literature review of suicide in cancer patients. Cancer Nurs 35:E14–E26 CrossRef
- Llorente MD, Burke M, Gregory GR et al (2005) Prostate cancer: a significant risk factor for late-life suicide. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13:195–201 CrossRef
- Fall K, Fang F, Mucci LA et al (2009) Immediate risk for cardiovascular events and suicide following a prostate cancer diagnosis: prospective cohort study. PLoS Med 6:e1000197 CrossRef
- van Leeuwen PJ, Schröder FH (2010) Risk factors: increased risk of suicide after prostate cancer diagnosis. Nat Rev Urol 7:369–370 CrossRef
- Carlsson S, Sandin F, Fall K, Lambe M, Adolfsson J, Stattin P, Bill-Axelson A (2013) Risk of suicide in men with low-risk prostate cancer. Eur J Cancer 49(7):1588–1599 CrossRef
- Fang F, Keating NL, Mucci LA, Adami HO, Stampfer MJ, Valdimarsdóttir U, Fall K (2010) Immediate risk of suicide and cardiovascular death after a prostate cancer diagnosis: cohort study in the United States. J Natl Cancer Inst 102:307–314 CrossRef
- Spoletini I, Gianni W, Caltagirone C, Madaio R, Repetto L, Spalletta G (2011) Suicide and cancer: where do we go from here? Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 78:206–219 CrossRef
- Fang F, Fall K, Mittleman MA, Sparén P, Ye W, Adami HO, Valdimarsdóttir U (2012) Suicide and cardiovascular death after a cancer diagnosis. N Engl J Med 366:1310–1318 CrossRef
- Bill-Axelson A, Garmo H, Lambe M, Bratt O, Adolfsson J, Nyberg U, Steineck G, Stattin P (2010) Suicide risk in men with prostate-specific antigen-detected early prostate cancer: a nationwide population-based cohort study from PCBaSe Sweden. Eur Urol 57:390–395 CrossRef
- Fransson P (2008) Quality of life for members of Swedish Prostate Cancer Patient Associations. Cancer Nurs 31(1):23–31 CrossRef
- The Swedish Prostate Cancer Federation. http://www.prostatacancerforbundet.se/subPage1.asp?nodeid=105435. Accessed 20 Sep 2013.
- Kopp RP, Marshall LM, Wang PY, Bauer DC, Barrett-Connor E, Parsons JK, for the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Research Group (2013) The burden of urinary incontinence and urinary bother among elderly prostate cancer survivors. Eur Urol 64(4):672–9
- Sanda MG, Dunn RL, Michalski J, Sandler HM, Northouse L, Hembroff L, Lin X, Greenfield TK, Litwin MS, Saigal CS, Mahadevan A, Klein E, Kibel A, Pisters LL, Kuban D, Kaplan I, Wood D, Ciezki J, Shah N, Wei JT (2008) Quality of life and satisfaction with outcome among prostate-cancer survivors. N Engl J Med 358:1250–1261 CrossRef
- Yiou R, Ebrahiminia V, Mouracade P, Lingombet O, Abbou C (2013) Sexual quality of life in women partnered with men using intracavernous alprostadil injections after radical prostatectomy. J Sex Med 10(5):1355–1362 CrossRef
- Korfage IJ, Essink-Bot ML, Janssens AC, Schröder FH, de Koning HJ (2006) Anxiety and depression after prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment: 5-year follow-up. Br J Cancer 94:1093–1098 CrossRef
- Holland JC, Alici Y (2010) Management of distress in cancer patients. J Support Oncol 8:4–12
- Artherholt SB, Fann JR (2012) Psychosocial care in cancer. Curr Psychiatry Rep 14:23–29 CrossRef
- Kunkel EJ, Bakker JR, Myers RE, Oyesanmi O, Gomella LG (2000) Biopsychosocial aspects of prostate cancer. Psychosomatics 41:85–94 CrossRef
- De Sousa A, Sonavane S, Mehta J (2012) Psychological aspects of prostate cancer: a clinical review. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 15:120–127 CrossRef
- Bill-Axelson A, Garmo H, Nyberg U, Lambe M, Bratt O, Stattin P, Adolfsson J, Steineck G (2011) Psychiatric treatment in men with prostate cancer—results from a nation-wide, population-based cohort study from PCBaSe Sweden. Eur J Cancer 47:2195–2201 CrossRef
- Fann JR, Ell K, Sharpe M (2012) Integrating psychosocial care into cancer services. J Clin Oncol 30:1178–1186 CrossRef
- O’Connell H, Chin AV, Cunningham C, Lawlor BA (2004) Recent developments: suicide in older people. BMJ 329:895–899 CrossRef
- Couper J, Bloch S, Love A, Macvean M, Duchesne GM, Kissane D (2006) Psychosocial adjustment of female partners of men with prostate cancer: a review of the literature. Psychooncology 15:937–953 CrossRef
- Mellqvist M, Wiktorsson S, Joas E, Ostling S, Skoog I, Waern M (2011) Sense of coherence in elderly suicide attempters: the impact of social and health-related factors. Int Psychogeriatr 3:986–993 CrossRef
- Cooke L, Gotto J, Mayorga L, Grant M, Lynn R (2013) What do I say? Suicide assessment and management. Clin J Oncol Nurs 17:E1–E7 CrossRef
- McDowell ME, Occhipinti S, Ferguson M, Dunn J, Chambers SK (2010) Predictors of change in unmet supportive care needs in cancer. Psychooncology 19:508–516 CrossRef
- Are there specific health-related factors that can accentuate the risk of suicide among men with prostate cancer?
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Supportive Care in Cancer
Volume 22, Issue 6 , pp 1673-1678
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Prostate cancer
- Health-related quality of life
- Suicide ideation
- Industry Sectors