Retrospective trial of complete decongestive physical therapy for lower extremity secondary lymphedema in melanoma patients
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Melanoma is a malignant tumour of melanocytes, which are found predominantly in skin, and at least 10–45% of patients develop secondary lymphedema (SL).
This study seeks to investigate if individual’s lymphatic system can benefit from complete decongestive physical therapy (CDPT) 1 year after discharge from CDPT and consequently endorsing a better quality of life.
Male and female(n = 12) melanoma survivors 1–4 years post diagnosis with unilateral SL. Questionnaire and limb measurements were used to asses retrospective outcomes.
A significant improvements (p < 0.05) has been in the categories of localisation, staging, disability and symptoms of SL.
CDPT provides relief in signs and symptoms for patients with SL following groyne dissection.
- Kroon BB, Nieweg OE (2000) Management of malignant melanoma. Ann Chir Gynaecol 89(3):242–250
- Rekha A, Ravi A, Venu N, Shivanraj A (2005) Malignant melanoma and filariasis: a coexistence or an association? Int J Low Extrem Wounds 4(1):60–64 CrossRef
- Karakousis CP, Driscoll DL (1999) Treatment and local control of primary extremity soft tissue sarcomas. J Surg Oncol 71(3):155–161 CrossRef
- Brouns E, Donceel P, Stas M (2008) Quality of life and disability after ilio-inguinal lymphadenectomy. Acta Chir Belg 108(6):685–690
- Campisi C, Boccardo F, Alitta P, Tacchella M (1995) Derivative lymphatic microsurgery: indications, techniques, and results. Microsurgery 16(7):463–468 CrossRef
- Casley-Smith JR (1992) A model of the factors affecting interstitial volume in oedema. Part I: hierarchies, some new factors and their equations. Biorheology 29(5–6):535–548
- Bowsher WG, Taylor BA, Hughes LE (1986) Morbidity, mortality and local recurrence following regional node dissection for melanoma. Br J Surg 73(11):906–908 CrossRef
- Gerber LH (1998) A review of measures of lymphedema. Cancer 83:2803–2804 CrossRef
- Adamsen L, Midtgaard J, Rorth M, Borregaard N, Andersen C, Quist M, Møller T, Zacho M, Madsen JK, Knutsen L (2003) Feasibility, physical capacity, and health benefits of a multidimensional exercise program for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Support Care Cancer 11(11):707–716 CrossRef
- Drake D, Falzer P, Xistris D, Robinson G, Roberge M (2004) Physical fitness training: outcomes for adult oncology patients. Clin Nurs Res 13(3):245–264 CrossRef
- Schwartz AL, Mori M, Gao R, Nail LM, King ME (2001) Exercise reduces daily fatigue in women with breast cancer receiving chemotherapy. Med Sci Sports Exerc 33(5):718–723 CrossRef
- Foldi E, Földi M, Clodius L (1989) The lymphedema chaos: a lancet. Ann Plast Surg 22(6):505–515 CrossRef
- Ko DS, Lerner R, Klose G, Cosimi AB (1998) Effective treatment of lymphedema of the extremities. Arch Surg 133(4):452–458 CrossRef
- Shamley DR, Barker K, Simonite V, Beardshaw A (2005) Delayed versus immediate exercises following surgery for breast cancer: a systematic review. Breast Cancer Res Treat 90(3):263–271 CrossRef
- Jones LW, Courneya KS, Fairey AS, Mackey JR (2004) Effects of an oncologist's recommendation to exercise on self-reported exercise behavior in newly diagnosed breast cancer survivors: a single-blind, randomized controlled trial. Ann Behav Med 28(2):105–113 CrossRef
- Courneya KS, Friedenreich CM, Quinney HA, Fields AL, Jones LW, Fairey AS (2003) A randomized trial of exercise and quality of life in colorectal cancer survivors. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 12(4):347–357 CrossRef
- Bernas MJ, Witte CL, Witte MH (2001) International society of lymphology executive committee. The diagnosis and treatment of peripheral lymphedema: draft revision of the 1995 consensus document of the international society of lymphology executive committee for discussion at the September 3-7, 2001, XVIII international congress of lymphology in Genoa, Italy. Lymphology 34(2):84–91
- ISL- International Society of Lymphology The diagnosis and treatment of peripheral lymphedema (2003) Consensus document of the International Society of Lymphology. Lymphology 36(2):84–91
- Paterson AG, Trask PC, Wagner LI, Esper P, Redman B (2005) Validation of the FACT-BRM with interferon-alpha treated melanoma patients. Qual Life Res 14(1):133–139 CrossRef
- Chiarion-Sileni V, Del Bianco P, De Salvo GL, Lo Re G, Romanini A, Labianca R, Nortilli R, Corgna E, Dalla Palma M, Lo Presti G, Ridolfi R, Italian Melanoma Intergroup (IMI) (2003) Quality of life evaluation in a randomised trial of chemotherapy versus bio-chemotherapy in advanced melanoma patients. Eur J Cancer 39(11):1577–1585 CrossRef
- Mayrovitz HN (2009) The standard of care for lymphedema: current concepts and physiological considerations. Lymphat Res Biol 7(2):101–108 CrossRef
- Horning KM, Guhde J (2007) Lymphedema: an under-treated problem. Medsurg Nurs 16(4):221–227
- Segal RJ, Reid RD, Courneya KS, Malone SC, Parliament MB, Scott CG, Venner PM, Quinney HA, Jones LW, D'Angelo ME, Wells GA (2003) Resistance exercise in men receiving androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 21(9):1653–1659 CrossRef
- Jones LW, Courneya KS, Vallance JK, Ladha AB, Mant MJ, Belch AR, Stewart DA, Reiman T (2004) Association between exercise and quality of life in multiple myeloma cancer survivors. Support Care Cancer 12(11):780–788 CrossRef
- Sagen A, Kåresen R, Risberg MA (2009) Physical activity for the affected limb and arm lymphedema after breast cancer surgery. A prospective, randomized controlled trial with two years follow-up. Acta Oncol 23:1–9
- Hayes SC, Reul-Hirche H, Turner J (2009) Exercise and secondary lymphedema: safety, potential benefits, and research issues. Med Sci Sports Exerc 41(3):483–489 CrossRef
- Balch C, Buzaid A, Soong S, Atkins M, Cascinelli N, Coit D, Fleming I, Gershenwald J, Houghton A, Kirkwood J, McMasters K, Mihm M, Morton D, Reintgen D, Ross M, Sober A, Thompson J, Thompson J (2001) Final version of the American joint committee on cancer staging system for cutaneous melanoma. J Clin Oncol 19(16):3635–3648
- Mak SS, Yeo W, Lee YM, Mo KF, Tse KY, Tse SM, Ho FP, Kwan WH (2008) Predictors of lymphedema in patients with breast cancer undergoing axillary lymph node dissection in Hong Kong. Nurs Res 57(6):416–425 CrossRef
- Mayrovitz HN, Sims N, Litwin B, Pfister S (2005) Foot volume estimates based on a geometric algorithm in comparison to water displacement. Lymphology 38(1):20–27
- Mock V, Pickett M, Ropka ME, Muscari Lin E, Stewart KJ, Rhodes VA, McDaniel R, Grimm PM, Krumm S, McCorkle R (2001) Fatigue and quality of life outcomes of exercise during cancer treatment. Cancer Pract 9(3):119–127 CrossRef
- Retrospective trial of complete decongestive physical therapy for lower extremity secondary lymphedema in melanoma patients
Supportive Care in Cancer
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 141-147
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Physical therapy
- Industry Sectors