Gastrointestinal bleeding associated with dabigatran in a patient with panhypopituitarism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Dabigatran is a direct thrombin inhibitor that is used to reduce the risk of systemic embolism in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF). It does not require international normalised ratio (INR) monitoring during the course of treatment, and this arise from the most important advantage of this drug when compared with coumadin. The main complication of dagibatran is bleeding of the gastrointestinal system . Bleeding diathesis, renal dysfunction, age, and concomitant antiplatelet medications are associated with bleeding complications .
Sheehan’s syndrome (SS) is a postpartum pituitary deficiency caused by necrosis of the pituitary gland. It is characterized by varying degrees of anterior pituitary dysfunction. Panhypopituitarism has been associated with bleeding disorders in some previous studies and case reports .
However, a relationship of panhypopituitarism and dabigatran associated bleeding has not been reported. This article describes a patient who had dabigatran-a
- Connolly SJ, Ezekowitz MD, Yusuf S, et al. Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:1139–51. CrossRef
- Harper P, Young L, Merriman E. Bleeding risk with dabigatran in the frail elderly. The N Engl J Med. 2012;366(9):864–6.
- Oliveira MC, Kramer CK, Marroni CP, Leães CG, Viana L, Roithman S, et al. Acquired factor VIII and von Willebrand factor (aFVIII/VWF) deficiency and hypothyroidism in a case with hypopituitarism. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2010;16:107–9. CrossRef
- Keleştimur F. Sheehan’s syndrome. Pituitary. 2003;6:181–8.
- Laway BA, Mir SA, Bashir MI, Bhat JR, Samoon J, Zargar AH. Prevalence of hematological abnormalities in patients with Sheehan’s syndrome: response to replacement of glucocorticoids and thyroxine. Pituitary. 2011;14:39–43. CrossRef
- Gokalp D, Tuzcu A, Bahceci M, Ayyildiz O, Erdemoglu M, Alpagat G. Assessment of bleeding disorders in Sheehan’s syndrome: are bleeding disorders the underlying cause of Sheehan’s syndrome? Platelets. 2011;22:92–7. CrossRef
- Karabulut Z, Dogˇan T, Asik M, Ergun T, Lakadamyalı H, Moray G. Spontaneous retroperıtoneal hematoma assocıated wıth enoxaparın: case report. Turkiye Klinikleri J Cardiovasc Sci. 2007;19:186–9.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding associated with dabigatran in a patient with panhypopituitarism
Wiener klinische Wochenschrift
Volume 126, Issue 1-2 , pp 62-63
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Vienna
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Internal Medicine, Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University, Çanakkale, Turkey
- 2. Department of Endocrinology, Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University, Çanakkale, Turkey
- 3. Department of Cardiology, Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University, Çanakkale, Turkey
- 4. Department of Gastroenterology, Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University, Çanakkale, Turkey
- 5. Department of Radiology, Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University, Çanakkale, Turkey