Heterogeneous networks—meeting mobile broadband expectations with maximum efficiency
- Mag. Harald Baur
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
As the Networked Society takes shape, providing the right user experience is a top priority for operators. Bandwidth-hungry applications common on smartphones, tablets and other connected devices are driving figures for data traffic sky high. The opportunity for operators arises from people, business and society depending on their devices, mobile broadband access and high-performance networks. Heterogeneous networks, commonly known as hetnets, and efforts to improve and densify existing mobile broadband infrastructure together with added small cells are important when meeting ever-increasing user expectations.
Mobile broadband traffic is growing rapidly, driven by the increasing popularity of connected devices, such as smartphones and tablets. User expectations for mobile broadband are on the rise as people rely more and more on mobile applications, video content, cloud-based services and staying connected anywhere, anytime. Consumers have come to expect a consistent, high-q
- Ericsson (2011): Traffic and market data report, November 2011. http://hugin.info/1061/R/1561267/483187.pdf.
- Ericsson (2012a): Fourth quarter report, January 2012. http://hugin.info/1061/R/1579912/493212.pdf.
- Ericsson (2012b): Backhaul for heterogeneous networks (White paper). February 2012. http://www.ericsson.com/res/docs/whitepapers/WP-Heterogeneous-Networks-Backhaul.pdf.
- Ericsson (2012c): Self-organizing networks (White paper). February 2012. http://www.ericsson.com/res/docs/whitepapers/WP-Self-Organizing-Networks.pdf.
- Gartner (2011): Gartner identifies top 10 commercial business applications for tablet devices, November 15, 2011. http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1849621.
- Landström, S., Furuskär, A., Johansson, K., Falconetti, L., Kronstedt, F. (2011): Heterogeneous networks—increasing cellular capacity and coverage. Ericsson Rev., 1/2011, 4–9 http://www.ericsson.com/news/110211_hetnets_244188811_c.
- Heterogeneous networks—meeting mobile broadband expectations with maximum efficiency
e & i Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik
Volume 129, Issue 6 , pp 416-421
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Vienna
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Mag. Harald Baur (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Marketing Manager Western & Central Europe, Ericsson Austria GmbH, Ernst-Melchior-Gasse 24, 1020, Wien, Österreich