Near optimal bounds for the Erdős distinct distances problem in high dimensions
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We show that the number of distinct distances in a set of n points in ℝ d is Ω(n 2/d − 2 / d(d + 2)), d ≥ 3. Erdős’ conjecture is Ω(n 2/d ).
- J. Pach and P. Agarwal: Combinatorial geometry, Wiley-Interscience Series in Discrete Mathematics and Optimization, A Wiley-Interscience Publication, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1995, xiv+354 pp.
- B. Aronov, J. Pach, M. Sharir and G. Tardos: Distinct Distances in Three and Higher Dimensions, Combinatorics, Probability and Computing 13(3) (2004), 283–293. CrossRef
- B. Chazelle and J. Friedman: A deterministic view of random sampling and its use in geometry, Combinatorica 10(3) (1990), 229–249. CrossRef
- F. Chung: The number of different distances determined by n points in the plane, J. Combin. Theory Ser. A 36(3) (1984), 342–354. CrossRef
- F. Chung, E. Szemerédi and W. Trotter: The number of different distances determined by a set of points in the Euclidean plane, Discrete Comput. Geom. 7(1) (1992), 1–11. CrossRef
- K. Clarkson, H. Edelsbrunner, L. Gubias, M. Sharir and E. Welzl: Combinatorial complexity bounds for arrangements of curves and spheres, Discrete Comput. Geom. 5 (1990), 99–160. CrossRef
- P. Erdős: On sets of distances of n points, Amer. Math. Monthly 53 (1946), 248–250. CrossRef
- A. Iosevich: Curvature, Combinatorics, and the Fourier Transform; Notices of the American Mathematical Society 48 (2001), 577–583.
- A. Iosevich: Szemerédi-Trotter incidence theorem, related results, and amusing consequences; in Proceedings of Minicorsi di Analisi Matematica, Padova (to appear).
- J. Matousek: Lectures on Discrete Geometry, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, 212, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2002, xvi+481 pp.
- L. Moser: On the different distances determined by n points, Amer. Math. Monthly 59 (1952), 85–91. CrossRef
- J. Solymosi and Cs. D. Tóth: Distinct distances in the plane, Discrete Comput. Geom. 25(4) (The Micha Sharir birthday issue) (2001), 629–634.
- J. Solymosi and V. H. Vu: Distinct distances in high dimensional homogeneous sets, in Towards a Theory of Geometric Graphs (J. Pach, ed.), pp. 259–268, Contemporary Mathematics, vol. 342, Amer. Math. Soc., 2004.
- L. Székely: Crossing numbers and hard Erdős problems in discrete geometry, Combin. Probab. Comput. 6(3) (1997), 353–358. CrossRef
- G. Tardos: On distinct sums and distinct distances, Advances in Mathematics 180(1) (2003), 275–289. CrossRef
- Near optimal bounds for the Erdős distinct distances problem in high dimensions
Volume 28, Issue 1 , pp 113-125
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors