Should mean arterial pressure be included in the definition of ambulatory hypertension in children?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The diagnosis of hypertension (HTN)/normotension (NT) on ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) is usually based on systolic (SBP) or diastolic blood pressure (DBP). The goal of this study was to analyze whether inclusion of mean arterial pressure (MAP) improves the detection of HTN on ABPM.
We retrospectively studied ABPM records in 229 children (116 boys, median age = 15.3 years) who were referred for evaluation of HTN. A diagnosis of HTN was made if: (A) MAP or SBP or DBP was ≥1.65 SDS (95th percentile); (B) SBP or DBP was ≥1.65 SDS (95th percentile), during 24-h or daytime or night-time in both definitions.
Using definition A, 46/229 patients had HTN compared to definition B by which only 37/229 patients had HTN (p = 0.001). The level of agreement between the two definitions was very good (kappa = 0.86 ± 0.04), however nine patients (19.5 %) were missed by not using MAP in the definition of HTN. These nine patients had only mild HTN with a median Z score of 1.69.
The inclusion of MAP in the definition of ambulatory HTN significantly increased the number of hypertensive patients. MAP may be very helpful in detecting mild HTN in patients with normal/borderline SBP and DBP.
- Mancia, G, Backer, G, Dominiczak, A, Cifkova, R, Fagard, R, Germano, G, Grassi, G, Heagerty, AM, Kjeldsen, SE, Laurent, S, Narkiewicz, K, Ruilope, L, Rynkiewicz, A, Schmieder, RE, Boudier, HA, Zanchetti, A, Vahanian, A, Camm, J, Caterina, R, Dean, V, Dickstein, K, Filippatos, G, Funck-Brentano, C, Hellemans, I, Kristensen, SD, McGregor, K, Sechtem, U, Silber, S, Tendera, M, Widimsky, P, Zamorano, JL, Erdine, S, Kiowski, W, Agabiti-Rosei, E, Ambrosioni, E, Lindholm, LH, Viigimaa, M, Adamopoulos, S, Agabiti-Rosei, E, Ambrosioni, E, Bertomeu, V, Clement, D, Erdine, S, Farsang, C, Gaita, D, Lip, G, Mallion, JM, Manolis, AJ, Nilsson, PM, O’Brien, E, Ponikowski, P, Redon, J, Ruschitzka, F, Tamargo, J, Zwieten, P, Waeber, B, Williams, B (2007) 2007 Guidelines for the Management of Arterial Hypertension: The Task Force for the Management of Arterial Hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). J Hypertens 25: pp. 1105-1187 CrossRef
- Wühl, E, Witte, K, Soergel, M, Mehls, O, Schaefer, F (2002) Distribution of 24-h ABP in children-normalized reference values and role of body dimensions. J Hypertens 20: pp. 195-207 CrossRef
- Torbjőrnsdotter, TB, Jaremko, GA, Berg, UB (2001) Ambulatory blood pressure and heart rate in relation to kidney structure and metabolic control in adolescents with type I diabetes. Diabetologia 44: pp. 865-873 CrossRef
- Torbjőrnsdotter, TB, Jaremko, GA, Berg, UB (2004) Nondipping and its relation to glomerulopathy and hyperfiltration in adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 27: pp. 510-516 CrossRef
- Dost, A, Klinkert, C, Kapellen, T, Lemmer, A, Naeke, A, Grabert, M, Kreuder, J, Holl, RW (2008) Arterial hypertension determined by ambulatory blood pressure profiles. Contribution to microalbuminuria risk in a multicenter investigation in 2,105 children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 31: pp. 720-725 CrossRef
- Darcan, S, Goksen, D, Mir, S, Serdaroglu, E, Buyukinan, M, Coker, M, Berdeli, A, Köse, T, Cura, A (2006) Alterations of blood pressure in type 1 diabetic children and adolescents. Pediatr Nephrol 21: pp. 672-6768 CrossRef
- Šuláková, T, Janda, J (2008) Ambulatory blood pressure in children with diabetes 1. Pediatr Nephrol 12: pp. 2285-2286 CrossRef
- Šuláková, T, Janda, J, Černá, J, Janštová, V, Šuláková, A, Slaný, J, Feber, J (2009) Arterial HTN in children with T1DM—frequent and not easy to diagnose. Pediatr Diabetes 10: pp. 441-444 CrossRef
- Lurbe, E, Redon, J, Kesani, A, Pascual, JM, Tacons, J, Alvarez, V, Batlle, D (2002) Increase in nocturnal blood pressure and progression to microalbuminuria in type 1 diabetes. N Engl J Med 347: pp. 797-805 CrossRef
- Perrin, NESS, Torbjőrnsdotter, TB, Jaremko, GA, Berg, UB (2004) Follow up of kidney biopsies in normoalbuminuric patients with type 1 diabetes. Pediatr Nephrol 19: pp. 1004-1013 CrossRef
- Perrin, NESS, Torbjörnsdotter, TB, Jaremko, GA, Berg, UB (2006) The course of diabetic glomerulopathy in patients with type I diabetes: a 6-year follow-up with serial biopsies. Kidney Int 69: pp. 699-705 CrossRef
- Azar, ST, Birbari, A (1998) Nocturnal blood pressure elevation in patients with type 1 diabetes receiving intensive insulin therapy compared with that in patients receiving conventional insulin therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83: pp. 3190-3193 CrossRef
- Bell, CS, Poffenbarger, TS, Samuels, JA (2011) Ambulatory blood pressure status in children: comparing alternate limit sources. Pediatr Nephrol 12: pp. 2211-2217 CrossRef
- Jones, HE, Sinha, MD (2011) The definition of daytime and nighttime influences the interpretation of ABPM in children. Pediatr Nephrol 26: pp. 775-781 CrossRef
- Urbina, E, Albert, B, Flynn, J, Hayman, L, Harshfield, GA, Jackson, M, Mahoney, L, McCrindle, B, Mietus-Snyder, M, Steinberger, J, Daniels, S (2008) Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in children and adolescents: recommendations for standard assessment. A scientific statement from the American heart association atherosclerosis, hypertension, and obesity in youth committee of the council on cardiovascular disease in the young and the council for high blood pressure research. Hypertension 52: pp. 433-451 CrossRef
- Soergel, M, Kirschstein, M, Busch, C, Danne, T, Gellermann, J, Holl, R, Krull, F, Reichert, H, Reusz, GS, Rascher, W (1997) Oscillometric twenty four-hour ambulatory blood pressure values in healthy children and adolescents: a multicenter trial including 1141 subjects. J Pediatr 130: pp. 178-184 CrossRef
- Landis, JR, Koch, GG (1977) The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics 33: pp. 159-174 CrossRef
- Verdecchia, P (2000) Prognostic value of ambulatory blood pressure. Current evidence and clinical implications. Hypertension 35: pp. 844-851 CrossRef
- Chobanian, AV, Bakris, GL, Black, HR, Cushman, WC, Green, LA, Izzo, L, Jones, DW, Materson, BJ, Oparil, S, Wright, JT, Roccella, EJ (2003) National heart, lung, blood institute; national high blood pressure education program coordinating committee. Seventh report of the joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure. Hypertension 42: pp. 1206-1252 CrossRef
- O’Brien, E, Asmar, R, Beilin, L, Imai, Y, Mallion, JM, Mancia, G, Mengden, T, Myers, M, Padfield, P, Palatini, P, Parati, G, Pickering, T, Redon, J, Staessen, J, Stergiou, G, Verdecchia, P (2003) European Society of Hypertension recommendations for conventional, ambulatory and home blood pressure measurement. J Hypertens 21: pp. 821-848 CrossRef
- Sorof, JM, Cardwell, G, Franco, K, Portman, RJ (2002) Ambulatory blood pressure and left ventricular mass index in hypertensive children. Hypertension 39: pp. 903-908 CrossRef
- Lubrano, R, Travasso, E, Raggi, C, Guido, G, Masciangelo, R, Elli, M (2009) Blood pressure load, proteinuria and renal function in pre-hypertensive children. Pediatr Nephrol 24: pp. 823-831 CrossRef
- Chaudhuri, A, Sutherland, SM, Begin, B, Salsbery, K, McCabe, L, Potter, D, Alexander, SR, Wong, CJ (2011) Role of twenty-four-hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in children on dialysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4: pp. 870-876 CrossRef
- Lurbe, E, Cifkova, R, Cruickshank, JK, Dillon, MJ, Ferreira, I, Invitti, C, Kuznetsova, T, Laureát, S, ManciaG, M-OF, Rascher, W, Redon, J, Schaefer, F, Seman, T, Stergiou, G, Wühl, E, Zanchetti, A (2009) Management of high blood pressure in children and adolescents: recommendations of the European Society of Hypertension. J Hypertens 27: pp. 1719-1742 CrossRef
- Lurbe, E, Sorof, JM, Daniels, SR (2004) Clinical and research aspects of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in children. J Pediatr 144: pp. 7-16 CrossRef
- Strict blood-pressure control and progression of renal failure in children. N Engl J Med 361: pp. 1639-1650 CrossRef
- Badin, J, Boulain, T, Ehrmann, S, Skarzynski, M, Bretagnol, A, Buret, J, Benzekri-Lefevre, D, Mercier, E, Runge, I, Garot, D, Mathonnet, A, Dequin, PF, Perrotin, D (2011) Relation between mean arterial pressure and renal function in the early phase of shock: a prospective, explorative cohort study. Crit Care 15: pp. R135 CrossRef
- Cnossen, JS, Vollebregt, KC, Vrieze, N, Riet, G, Mol, BW, Franx, A, Khan, KS, Post, JA (2008) Accuracy of mean arterial pressure and blood pressure measurements in predicting pre-eclampsia: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 336: pp. 1117-1123 CrossRef
- Should mean arterial pressure be included in the definition of ambulatory hypertension in children?
Volume 28, Issue 7 , pp 1105-1112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Mean arterial pressure
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring
- Industry Sectors