Laparoscopic treatment vs open surgery in the solution of major incisional and abdominal wall hernias with mesh
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background: Despite being one of the most exact indications, laparoscopic treatment of eventrations and ventral hernias is barely known among the array of laparoscopic techniques.
Methods: A total of 60 patients were assigned at random over a 3-year period to two homogeneous groups to be operated on for major ventral hernias with mesh. Half of them were operated upon laparoscopically and the rest with open surgery. Early and longer-term complications were analyzed, as were operative time and postoperative hospital stays.
Results: The two groups were homogeneous in terms of demographic and clinical characteristics. The group that was operated on laparoscopically presented a lower rate of postoperative and longer-term complications; similarly, surgery time was significantly lower (p < 0.05). Hospitalization time was also significantly lower than in the group undergoing conventional open surgery (p < 0.05).
Conclusions: Laparoscopic treatment of postoperative eventration and primary ventral hernia reduces complications and relapse rates, eliminates reintervention through mesh infection, reduces operative time, and considerably shortens the hospital stay.
- Laparoscopic treatment vs open surgery in the solution of major incisional and abdominal wall hernias with mesh
Volume 13, Issue 3 , pp 250-252
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Key words: Laparoscopy — Incisional hernia — Abdominal wall hernia — Hernioplasty — Mesh
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- A1. Department of General Surgery, Medina del Campo Hospital, Carretera de Peñaranda km 1, 47400 Medina del Campo, Valladolid, Spain, ES
- A2. Experimental Surgery Laboratory, University of Valladolid, Valladolid, Spain, ES
- A3. Department of Medicine, Medina del Campo Hospital, Carretera de Peñaranda km 1, 47400 Medina del Campo, Valladolid, Spain, ES