Trans-Oral Video-Assisted Neck Surgery (TOVANS). A new transoral technique of endoscopic thyroidectomy with gasless premandible approach
Endoscopic thyroidectomy is a well-established surgical technique. We have been utilizing precordial video-assisted neck surgery (VANS) with a gasless anterior neck skin lifting method. Recently, natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) has generated excitement among surgeons as potentially scar-free surgery. We developed an innovative gasless transoral technique for endoscopic thyroidectomy that incorporated the concept of NOTES in a VANS-technique.
Incision was made at the vestibulum under the inferior lip. From the vestibulum to the anterior cervical region, a subplatysmal tunnel in front of the mandible was created and cervical skin was lifted by Kirschner wires and a mechanical retracting system. This method without CO2 insufflation created an effective working space and provided an excellent cranio-caudal view so that we could perform thyroidectomy and central node dissection safely.
Beginning with our first clinical application of TOVANS in September 2009, we have performed eight such procedures. Three of the eight patients had papillary microcarcinoma and received central node dissection after thyroidectomy. All patients began oral intake 1 day after surgery. The sensory disorder around the chin persisted more than 6 months after surgery in all patients. Recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy revealed in one patient. Nobody had mental nerve palsy, and no infection developed with use of preventive antibacterial tablets for 3 days.
We developed a new method for gasless transoral endoscopic thyroidectomy with a premandible approach and anterior neck-skin lifting. TOVANS makes possible complete endoscopic radical lymphadenectomy for papillary thyroid cancer. We believe that this method is innovative and progressive and has not only a cosmetic advantage but also provides easy access to the central node compartment for dissection in endoscopic thyroid cancer surgery.
- Miccoli, P, Minuto, MN, Ugolini, C, Pisano, R, Fosso, A, Berti, P (2008) Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy for benign thyroid disease: an evidence-based review. World J Surg 32: pp. 1333-1340 CrossRef
- Gagner, M, Inabnet, BW, Biertho, L (2003) Endoscopic thyroidectomy for solitary nodules. Ann Chir 128: pp. 696-701 CrossRef
- Cougard, P, Osmak, L, Esquis, P, Ognois, P (2005) Endoscopic thyroidectomy. A preliminary report including 40 patients. Ann Chir 130: pp. 81-85 CrossRef
- Inabnet, WB, Jacob, BP, Gagner, M (2003) Minimally invasive endoscopic thyroidectomy by a cervical approach. Surg Endosc 17: pp. 1808-1811 CrossRef
- Henry, JF, Sebag, F (2006) Lateral endoscopic approach for thyroid and parathyroid surgery. Ann Chir 131: pp. 51-56 CrossRef
- Shimizu, K, Akira, S, Tanaka, S (1998) Video assisted neck surgery: endoscopic resection of benign thyroid tumor aiming at scarless surgery of the neck. J Surg Oncol 69: pp. 179-180 CrossRef
- Shimizu, K, Akira, S, Jasmi, AY, Kitamura, Y, Kitagawa, W, Akasu, H (1999) Video-assisted neck surgery: endoscopic resection of thyroid tumors with a very minimal neck wound. J Am Coll Surg 188: pp. 697-703 CrossRef
- Ikeda, Y, Takami, H, Sasaki, Y, Kan, S, Niimi, M (2000) Endoscopic neck surgery by the axillary approach. J Am Coll Surg 191: pp. 336-340 CrossRef
- Ohgami, M, Ishii, S, Arisawa, Y, Ohmori, T, Noga, K, Furukawa, T (2000) Scarless endoscopic thyroidectomy: breast approach for better cosmesis. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 10: pp. 1-4
- Park, YL, Han, WK, Bae, WG (2003) 100 cases of endoscopic thyroidectomy: breast approach. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 13: pp. 20-25 CrossRef
- Sasaki, A, Nakajima, J, Ikeda, K, Otsuka, K, Koeda, K, Wakabayashi, G (2008) Endoscopic thyroidectomy by the breast approach: a single institution’s 9-year experience. World J Surg 32: pp. 381-385 CrossRef
- Benhidjeb, T, Anders, S, Bärlehner, E (2006) Total video-endoscopic thyroidectomy via axillo-bilateral-breast-approach (ABBA). Langenbecks Arch Surg 391: pp. 48-49
- Ba¨rlehner, E, Benhidjeb, T (2008) Cervical scarless endoscopic thyroidectomy: axillo-bilateral-breast approach (ABBA). Surg Endosc 22: pp. 154-157 CrossRef
- Shimazu, K, Shiba, E, Tamaki, Y, Takiguchi, S, Taniguchi, E, Ohashi, S (2003) Endoscopic thyroid surgery through the axillo-bilateral-breast approach. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 13: pp. 196-201 CrossRef
- Choe, JH, Kim, SW, Chung, KW, Park, KS, Han, W, Noh, DY (2007) Endoscopic thyroidectomy using a new bilateral axillo-breast approach. World J Surg 31: pp. 601-606 CrossRef
- Witzel, K, Rahden, BHA, Kaminski, C, Stein, HJ (2008) Transoral access for endoscopic thyroid resection. Surg Endosc 22: pp. 1871-1875 CrossRef
- Benhidjeb, T, Wilhelm, T, Harlaar, J, Kleinrensink, GJ, Schneider, TA, Stark, M (2009) Natural orifice surgery on thyroid gland: totally transoral video-assisted thyroidectomy (TOVAT): report of first experimental results of a new surgical method. Surg Endosc 23: pp. 1119-1120 CrossRef
- Wilhelm, T, Metzig, A (2009) Endoscopic minimally invasive thyroidectomy: first clinical experience. Surg Endosc 24: pp. 1757-1758 CrossRef
- Trans-Oral Video-Assisted Neck Surgery (TOVANS). A new transoral technique of endoscopic thyroidectomy with gasless premandible approach
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 27, Issue 4 , pp 1105-1110
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Video assisted neck surgery
- Endoscopic thyroidectomy
- Minimally invasive thyroidectomy
- Endoscopic lymphadenectomy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgical Oncology, Digestive Surgery, Breast and Thyroid Surgery, Kagoshima University, 8-35-1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima, 890-8520, Japan