Laparoscopic versus open distal pancreatectomy: a clinical and cost-effectiveness study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy (LDP) is being increasingly performed with some concerns regarding the cost of the minimally invasive approach. The purpose of this study was to assess the cost-effectiveness of LDP versus open distal pancreatectomy (ODP).
A retrospective clinical and cost-comparison analysis was performed for patients who underwent LDP vs. OPD between 2005 and 2011. Data considered for the comparison analysis were: operative costs (surgical procedure, operative time, blood transfusions), postoperative costs (laboratory testing, hospital stay, complication management, readmissions), and overall costs.
Fifty-one distal pancreatectomies (laparoscopic = 35, open = 16) were performed during the study period. The median operative time was 200 (range, 120–420) min for LDP vs. 225 (range, 120–460) min for ODP (p = 0.93). Median blood loss was 200 (range, 50–900) mL for LDP vs. 394 (range, 75–2000) mL for ODP (p = 0.038). Median hospital stay was 7 (range, 3–25) days in the laparoscopic group vs. 11 (range, 5–46) days in the open group (p = 0.007). Complication rate was 40% for LDP vs. 69% in ODP (p = 0.075). Postoperative intervention was required in 11% of patients after LDP vs. 31% after ODP (p = 0.12). The average operative, postoperative, and overall cost was £6039 (range, £4276–£9500), £4547 (range, £1299–£13937), £10587 (range, £6508–£20303) vs. £5231 (range, £3409–£9330), £10094 (range, £2665–£39291), £15324 (range, £7209–£47484) for the LDP and ODP groups, respectively (p = 0.033; p = 0.006; p = 0.197).
We showed that LDP is feasible and safe without having a negative impact on cost. Extensive experience in pancreatic and laparoscopic surgery is required to optimize surgical outcomes.
- Kooby, DA, Gillespie, T, Bentrem, D, Nakeeb, A, Schmidt, MC, Merchant, NB, Parikh, AA, Martin, RC, Scoggins, CR, Ahmad, S, Kim, HJ, Park, J, Johnston, F, Strouch, MJ, Menze, A, Rymer, J, McClaine, R, Strasberg, SM, Talamonti, MS, Staley, CA, McMasters, KM, Lowy, AM, Byrd-Sellers, J, Wood, WC, Hawkins, WG (2008) Left-sided pancreatectomy: a multicenter comparison of laparoscopic and open approaches. Ann Surg 248: pp. 438-446
- Kang, CM, Kim, DH, Lee, WJ (2010) Ten years of experience with resection of left-sided pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: evolution and initial experience to a laparoscopic approach. Surg Endosc 24: pp. 1533-1541 CrossRef
- Ammori BJ, Ayiomamitis GD (2011) Laparoscopic pancreaticoduodenectomy and distal pancreatectomy: a UK experience and a systematic review of the literature. Surg Endosc. doi:10.1007/s00464-010-1538-4, 7 Feb 2011
- Jayaraman, S, Gonen, M, Brennan, MF, D’Angelica, MI, DeMatteo, RP, Fong, Y, Jarnagin, WR, Allen, PJ (2010) Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy: evolution of a technique at a single institution. J Am Coll Surg 211: pp. 503-509 CrossRef
- Finan, KR, Cannon, EE, Kim, EJ, Wesley, MM, Arnoletti, PJ, Heslin, MJ, Christein, JD (2009) Laparoscopic and open distal pancreatectomy: a comparison of outcomes. Am Surg 75: pp. 671-679
- Tiwari, MM, Reynoso, JF, High, R, Tsang, AW, Oleynikov, D (2011) Safety, efficacy, and cost-effectiveness of common laparoscopic procedures. Surg Endosc 25: pp. 1127-1135 CrossRef
- Abu Hilal, M, Jain, G, Kasasbeh, F, Zuccaro, M, Elberm, H (2009) Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy: critical analysis of preliminary experience from a tertiary referral centre. Surg Endosc 23: pp. 2743-2747 CrossRef
- Bassi, C, Dervenis, C, Butturini, G, Fingerhut, A, Yeo, C, Izbicki, J, Neoptolemos, J, Sarr, M, Traverso, W, Buchler, M (2005) Postoperative pancreatic fistula: an international study group (ISGPF) definition. Surgery 138: pp. 8-13 CrossRef
- Waters, JA, Canal, DF, Wiebke, EA, Dumas, RP, Beane, JD, Aguilar-Saavedra, JR, Ball, CG, House, MG, Zyromski, NJ, Nakeeb, A, Pitt, HA, Lillemoe, KD, Schmidt, CM (2010) Robotic distal pancreatectomy: cost effective?. Surgery 148: pp. 814-823 CrossRef
- Vijan, SS, Ahmed, KA, Harmsen, WS, Que, FG, Reid-Lombardo, KM, Nagorney, DM, Donohue, JH, Farnell, MB, Kendrick, ML (2010) Laparoscopic vs open distal pancreatectomy: a single-institution comparative study. Arch Surg 145: pp. 616-621 CrossRef
- Kooby DA, Hawkins WG, Schmidt CM, Weber SM, Bentrem DJ, Gillespie TW, Sellers JB, Merchant NB, Scoggins CR, Martin RC 3rd, Kim HJ, Ahmad S, Cho CS, Parikh AA, Chu CK, Hamilton NA, Doyle CJ, Pinchot S, Hayman A, McClaine R, Nakeeb A, Staley CA, McMasters KM, Lillemoe KD (2010) A multicenter analysis of distal pancreatectomy for adenocarcinoma: is laparoscopic resection appropriate? J Am Coll Surg 210:779–785, 786–787.
- Laparoscopic versus open distal pancreatectomy: a clinical and cost-effectiveness study
Volume 26, Issue 6 , pp 1670-1674
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Distal pancreatectomy
- Comparative study
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hepatobiliary-Pancreatic and Laparoscopic Surgical Unit, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Southampton, UK
- 2. University Surgical Unit, F Level, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton, SO16 6YD, UK