Transumbilical single-incision laparoscopic distal gastrectomy for early gastric cancer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Laparoscopic gastrectomy is a widely accepted procedure for treating early gastric cancers. This procedure is less invasive than conventional open approaches, and the oncologic outcomes are comparable. Single-incision laparoscopic surgery, developed to reduce the invasiveness of traditional laparoscopy, is applied to various abdominal surgical procedures. However, its application to laparoscopic gastrectomy for the treatment of gastric cancer has not been reported, mainly because of difficulties achieving adequate lymphadenectomy and reconstruction. The authors report their initial clinical experience with single-incision laparoscopic gastrectomy for early gastric cancer.
A single vertical 2.5-cm intraumbilical incision was made, and three laparoscopic trocars were placed within the umbilicus. A 2-mm mini-loop retractor was inserted in the left upper and middle abdomen, and a roll of gauze was attached to its tip. This instrument is an atraumatic and useful tool for retracting various organs. Gastric mobilization and adequate dissection of lymph nodes were performed. The stomach and duodenum then were transected intracorporeally using linear staplers. Intracorporeal anastomosis was performed for reconstruction.
All seven single-incision laparoscopic distal gastrectomies with lymphadenectomy were performed without the use of additional trocars or conversion to laparotomy. The median time for gastric mobilization with lymphadenectomy was 155 min (range, 130–183 min). The median operative time was 344 min (range, 282–385 min), and the median estimated blood loss was 25 ml (range, 0–100 ml). A median total of 67 lymph nodes were retrieved. No serious perioperative complications occurred, and no mortalities were observed in this case series.
The authors’ initial experience with single-incision laparoscopic distal gastrectomy showed that it is a feasible and safe procedure for early gastric cancer and gives a favorable cosmetic result. To the authors’ knowledge, this is the first report describing successful single-incision laparoscopic gastrectomy for gastric cancer.
- Kitano S, Iso Y, Moriyama M, Sugimachi K (1994) Laparoscopy-assisted Billroth I gastrectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 4:146–148
- Kitano S, Shiraishi N, Uyama I, Sugihara K, Tanigawa N, Japanese Laparoscopic Surgery Study Group (2007) A multicenter study on oncologic outcome of laparoscopic gastrectomy for early cancer in Japan. Ann Surg 245:68–72 CrossRef
- Piskun G, Rajpal S (1999) Transumbilical laparoscopic cholecystectomy utilizes no incisions outside the umbilicus. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 9:361–364 CrossRef
- Ateş O, Hakgüder G, Olguner M, Akgür FM (2007) Single-port laparoscopic appendectomy conducted intracorporeally with the aid of a transabdominal sling suture. J Pediatr Surg 42:1071–1074 CrossRef
- Merchant AM, Lin E (2009) Single-incision laparoscopic right hemicolectomy for a colon mass. Dis Colon Rectum 52:1021–1024 CrossRef
- Bucher P, Pugin F, Morel P (2009) Single-port access laparoscopic radical left colectomy in humans. Dis Colon Rectum 52:1797–1801 CrossRef
- Reavis KM, Hinojosa MW, Smith BR, Nguyen NT (2008) Single-laparoscopic incision transabdominal surgery sleeve gastrectomy. Obes Surg 18:1492–1494 Epub 10 August 2008 CrossRef
- Bucher P, Pugin F, Morel P (2009) Transumbilical single-incision laparoscopic intracorporeal anastomosis for gastrojejunostomy: case report. Surg Endosc 23:1667–1670 Epub 23 May 2009 CrossRef
- Omori T, Nakajima K, Nishida T, Uchikoshi F, Kitagawa T, Ito T, Matsuda H (2005) A simple technique for circular-stapled Billroth I reconstruction in laparoscopic gastrectomy. Surg Endosc 19:734–736 Epub 11 March 2005 CrossRef
- Omori T, Oyama T, Akamatsu H, Tori M, Ueshima S, Nakahara M, Nishida T (2010) A simple and safe method for gastrojejunostomy in laparoscopic distal gastrectomy using the hemidouble stapling technique: efficient purse-string stapling technique. Dig Surg 26:441–445 CrossRef
- Omori T, Oyama T, Mizutani S, Tori M, Nakajima K, Akamatsu H, Nakahara M, Nishida T (2009) A simple and safe technique for esophagojejunostomy using the hemidouble stapling technique in lapharoscopy-assisted total gastrectomy. Am J Surg 197:e13–e17 CrossRef
- Fukunaga T, Hiki N, Tokunaga M, Nohara K, Akashi Y, Katayama H, Yoshiba H, Yamada K, Ohyama S, Yamaguchi T (2009) Left-sided approach for suprapancreatic lymph node dissection in laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy without duodenal transection. Gastric Cancer 12:106–112 Epub 27 June 2009 CrossRef
- Satoh S, Okabe H, Kondo K, Tanaka E, Itami A, Kawamura J, Nomura A, Nagayama S, Watanabe G, Sakai Y (2009) A novel laparoscopic approach for safe and simplified suprapancreatic lymph node dissection of gastric cancer (video). Surg Endosc 23:436–437. Epub 5 June 2008
- Hirano Y, Watanabe T, Uchida T, Yoshida S, Tawaraya K, Kato H, Hosokawa O (2010) Single-incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy: single-institution experience and literature review. World J Gastroenterol 16:270–274 CrossRef
- Transumbilical single-incision laparoscopic distal gastrectomy for early gastric cancer
Volume 25, Issue 7 , pp 2400-2404
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Gastric cancer
- Single-incision laparoscopic surgery
- Industry Sectors