Comparison of video-assisted thyroidectomy and traditional thyroidectomy for the treatment of papillary thyroid carcinoma
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
There is concern regarding the oncological effectiveness of minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy (VAT) for thyroid carcinoma. This study compared the surgical results of VAT and traditional thyroidectomy in patients with small papillary thyroid carcinomas (PTC).
Of 44 patients with PTC offered the choice between VAT and traditional thyroidectomy, 21 underwent VAT and 23 underwent traditional thyroidectomy. Residual thyroid tissue and function were assessed postoperatively by measuring thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), T4, thyroglobulin, and anti-thyroglobulin antibody levels and with sonographic examination.
Operative time, maximum tumor size, number of positive lymph nodes, and TSH and T4 levels 4 weeks postoperatively were similar in the two groups (all p > 0.05). Patients in the traditional thyroidectomy group had significantly higher postoperative serum thyroglobulin levels 4 weeks after surgery than did patients in the VAT group (5.4 versus 0.5 ng/ml, respectively; p = 0.007). Postoperative ultrasonography showed no residual thyroid tissue or evidence of recurrence in any of the patients. The median follow-up period was 60 months (range 31–77 month) for the VAT group and 53 months (range 31–80 months) for the traditional thyroidectomy group. Thyroglobulin levels of all patients in both groups decreased to <0.2 ng/ml at last follow-up.
VAT is safe and effective for the treatment of small papillary thyroid carcinomas, and has similar oncological effectiveness to traditional thyroidectomy.
- Miccoli P, Pinchera A, Cecchini G, Conte M, Bendinelli C, Vignali E et al (1997) Minimally invasive, video-assisted parathyroid surgery for primary hyperparathyroidism. J Endocrinol Invest 20:429–430
- Dhiman SV, Inabnet WB (2008) Minimally invasive surgery for thyroid diseases and thyroid cancer. J Surg Oncol 97:665–668 CrossRef
- Terris DJ, Angelos P, Steward DL, Simental AA (2008) Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy: a multi-institutional North American experience. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:81–84 CrossRef
- Lai SY, Walvekar RR, Ferris RL (2008) Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy: expanded indications and oncologic completeness. Head Neck 30:1403–1407 CrossRef
- Del Rio P, Berti M, Sommaruga L, Arcuri MF, Cataldo S, Sianesi M (2008) Pain after minimally invasive videoassisted and after minimally invasive open thyroidectomy-results of a prospective outcome study. Langenbecks Arch Surg 393:271–273 CrossRef
- Bellantone R, Lombardi CP, Raffaelli M, Alesina PF, De Crea C, Traini E et al (2003) Video-assisted thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid carcinoma. Surg Endosc 17:1604–1608 CrossRef
- Miccoli P, Berti P, Raffaelli M, Materazzi G, Baldacci S, Rossi G (2001) Comparison between minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy and conventional thyroidectomy: a prospective randomized study. Surgery 130:1039–1043 CrossRef
- Miccoli P, Elisei R, Materazzi G, Capezzone M, Galleri D, Pacini F et al (2002) Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy for papillary carcinoma: a prospective study of its completeness. Surgery 32:1070–1074 CrossRef
- Vaysberg M, Steward DL (2008) Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy. Laryngoscope 118:786–789 CrossRef
- Miccoli P, Bellantone R, Mourad M, Walz M, Raffaelli M, Berti P (2002) Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy: multiinstitutional experience. World J Surg 26:972–975 CrossRef
- Gal I, Solymosi T, Szabo Z, Balint A, Bolgar G (2008) Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy and conventional thyroidectomy: a prospective randomized study. Surg Endosc 22:2445–2449 CrossRef
- Perigli G, Cortesini C, Qirici E, Boni D, Cianchi F (2008) Clinical benefits of minimally invasive techniques in thyroid surgery. World J Surg 32:45–50 CrossRef
- Sgourakis G, Sotiropoulos GC, Neuhauser M, Musholt TJ, Karaliotas C, Lang H (2008) Comparison between minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy and conventional thyroidectomy: is there any evidence-based information? Thyroid 18:721–727 CrossRef
- Dobrinja C, Trevisan G, Liguori G (2009) Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy. Initial experience in a general surgery department. Langenbecks Arch Surg 394:273–277 CrossRef
- Lombardi CP, Raffaelli M, D’alatri L, De Crea C, Marchese MR et al (2008) Video-assisted thyroidectomy significantly reduces the risk of early postthyroidectomy voice and swallowing symptoms. World J Surg 32:693–700 CrossRef
- Lombardi CP, Raffaelli M, Princi P, De Crea C, Bellantone R (2007) Minimally invasive video-assisted functional lateral neck dissection for metastatic papillary thyroid carcinoma. Am J Surg 193:114–118 CrossRef
- Lombardi CP, Raffaelli M, de Crea C, Princi P, Castaldi P, Spaventa A et al (2007) Report on 8 years of experience with video-assisted thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid carcinoma. Surgery 142:944–951 CrossRef
- Lombardi CP, Raffaelli M, Princi P, De Crea C, Bellantone R (2006) Video-assisted thryoidectomy: report on the experience of a single center in more than four hundred cases. World J Surg 30:794–800 CrossRef
- Lombardi CP, Raffaelli M, Princi P, Lulli P, Rossi ED, Fadda G et al (2005) Safety of video-assisted thyroidectomy versus conventional survery. Head Neck 27:58–64 CrossRef
- Chao TC, Lin JD, Chen MF (2004) Gasless video-assisted total thyroidectomy in the treatment of low risk intrathyroid papillary carcinoma. World J Surg 28:876–879 CrossRef
- Salvatori M, Perotti G, Rufini V, Maussier ML, Dottorini M (2004) Are there disadvantages in administering 131I ablation therapy in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma without a preablative diagnostic 131I whole-body scan? Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 61:704–710 CrossRef
- Lombardi CP, Raffaelli M, Princi P, De Crea C, Bellantone R (2006) Video-assisted thyroidectomy: report of a 7-year experience in Rome. Langenbecks Arch Surg 391:174–177 CrossRef
- Comparison of video-assisted thyroidectomy and traditional thyroidectomy for the treatment of papillary thyroid carcinoma
Volume 24, Issue 7 , pp 1658-1662
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Video-assisted thyroidectomy
- Papillary thyroid cancer
- Industry Sectors