Single-port access in laparoscopic cholecystectomy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Single-port access cholecystectomy is a new laparoscopic procedure using only one, transumbilical-placed port. The method has been denominated by some authors as “scarless.” We report one of the initial clinical experiences in Europe with this new technique.
Fourteen patients underwent laparoscopic cholecystectomy using the ASC TriPort. In all cases, a small transumbilical incision was used to insert two 5-mm rigid laparoscopic instruments and a 5-mm 30° telescope via the Triport. Hemostasis control was obtained by using an ultrasonic cutting device (SonoSurg, Olympus), Endo Clips (Covidien), and Lapro-Clips (Covidien).
All cases were completed successfully. There were no perioperative port-related or surgical complications. No extra skin incisions were needed. Operative time was longer than in common laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
Transumbilical single-port access cholecystectomy (SPACE) is a feasible technique for operating with less scars and reducing postoperative discomfort at the same time. The transumbilical single-port access for laparoscopic cholecystectomy has multiple benefits, such as better cosmetic results, less wound infections, and less incisional hernias. That is why SPACE is even more appropriate for obese patients. Using one-hand specialized instruments, which are curved at the shaft, and a semiflexible laparoscopic camera (LTFVH, Olympus) will make SPACE more comfortable and more time-saving.
- Semm, K (1983) Endoscopic appendectomy. Endoscopy 15: pp. 59-64 CrossRef
- Romanelli, JR, Mark, L, Omotosho, PA (2008) Single port laparoscopic cholecystectomy with the TriPort system: a case report. Surg Innov 15: pp. 223-228 CrossRef
- Gumbs AA, Milone L, Sinha P, Bessler M (2008) Totally transumbilical laparoscopic cholecystectomy. J Gastrointest Surg Aug 16 (Epub ahead of print)
- Rao, PP, Bhagwat, SM, Rane, A, Rao, PP (2008) The feasibility of single port laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a pilot study of 20 cases. HPB (Oxford) 10: pp. 336-340
- Wills, VL, Hunt, DR (2000) Pain after laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Br J Surg 87: pp. 273-284 CrossRef
- Bolufer Cano, JM, Delgado Gomis, F, Blanes Masson, F, Canos Llacer, JI, Martín Delgado, J, Martínez Abad, M, Oliver Oliver, MJ (1995) Surgical trauma from laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Nutr Hosp 10: pp. 228-233
- Fuente, SG, Demaria, EJ, Reynolds, JD, Portenier, DD, Pryor, AD (2007) New developments in surgery: natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES). Arch Surg 142: pp. 295-297 CrossRef
- Single-port access in laparoscopic cholecystectomy
Volume 23, Issue 5 , pp 1138-1141
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Single-port access
- Scarless surgery
- Industry Sectors