Early versus delayed laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis: a prospective randomized trial
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The role of laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis is not yet clearly established. The aim of this prospective randomized study was to evaluate the safety and feasibility of laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis and to compare the results with delayed cholecystectomy.
Between January 2001 and November 2002, 40 patients with a diagnosis of acute cholecystitis were assigned randomly to early laparoscopic cholecystectomy within 24 h of admission (early group, n = 20) or to initial conservative treatment followed by delayed laparoscopic cholecystectomy, 6 to 12 weeks later (delayed group, n = 20).
There was no significant difference in the conversion rates (early, 25% vs delayed, 25%), operating times (early, 104 min vs delayed, 93 min), postoperative analgesia requirements (early, 5.3 days vs delayed, 4.8 days), or postoperative complications (early, 15% vs delayed, 20%). However, the early group had significantly more blood loss (228 vs 114 ml) and shorter hospital stay (4.1 vs 10.1 days).
Early laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis is safe and feasible, offering the additional benefit of a shorter hospital stay. It should be offered to patients with acute cholecystitis, provided the surgery is performed within 72 to 96 h of the onset of symptoms.
- Al-Haizar, N, Duca, S, Molnar, G, Vasilescu, A, Nicolescu, N (2002) Incidents and postoperative complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis. Rom J Gastroenterol 11: pp. 115-119
- Chandler, CF, Lane, JS, Ferguson, P, Thompson, JE, Ashley, SW (2000) Prospective evaluation of early versus delayed laparoscopic cholecystectomy for treatment of acute cholecystitis. Am Surg 66: pp. 896-900
- Cox, MR, Wilson, TG, Luck, AJ, Jeans, PL, Padbury, RT, Toouli, J (1993) Laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute inflammation of the gallbladder. Ann Surg 218: pp. 630-634
- Jarvinen, HJ, Hastbacka, J (1980) Early cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis: a prospective randomized study. Ann Surg 191: pp. 501-505
- Koo, KP, Thirlby, RC (1996) Laparoscopic cholecystectomy in acute cholecystitis. What is the optimal timing for operation? Arch Surg 131: pp. 540-544
- Lahtinen, J, Alhava, EM, Aukee, S (1978) Acute cholecystitis treated by early and delayed surgery: a controlled clinical trial. Scand J Gastrenterol 13: pp. 673-678
- Lai, PB, Kwong, KH, Leung, KL, Kwok, SP, Chan, AC, Chung, SC, Lau, WY (1998) Randomized trial of early versus delayed laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis. Br J Surg 85: pp. 764-767 CrossRef
- Lo, CM, Liu, CL, Fan, ST, Lai, EC, Wong, J (1998) Prospective randomized study of early versus delayed laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis. Ann Surg 227: pp. 461-467 CrossRef
- Lo, CM, Liu, CL, Lai, EC, Fan, ST, Wong, J (1996) Early versus delayed laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis. Ann Surg 223: pp. 37-42 CrossRef
- McArthur, P, Cuschieri, A, Sells, RA, Shields, R (1975) Controlled clinical trial comparing early with interval cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis. Br J Surg 62: pp. 850-852
- Miller, RE, Kimmelsteil, FM (1993) Laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis. Surg Endosc 7: pp. 296-299
- Norrby, S, Herlin, P, Holmin, T, Sjodhal, R, Tagesson, C (1983) Early or delayed cholecystectomy in acute cholecystitis? A clinical trial. Br J Surg 70: pp. 163-165
- Rattner, DW, Ferguson, C, Warshaw, AL (1993) Factors associated with successful laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis. Ann Surg 217: pp. 233-236
- Linden, W, Edlund, G (1981) Early versus delayed cholecystectomy: the effect of a change in management. Br J Surg 68: pp. 753-757
- Weisen, SM, Unger, SW, Barkin, JS (1992) Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: the procedure of choice for acute cholecystitis. Am J Gastroenterol 88: pp. 334-337
- Zucker, KA, Flowers, JL, Bailey, RW, Graham, SM, Buell, J, Imbembo, AL (1993) Laparoscopic management of acute cholecystitis. Am J Surg 165: pp. 508-514
- Early versus delayed laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis: a prospective randomized trial
Surgical Endoscopy And Other Interventional Techniques
Volume 18, Issue 9 , pp 1323-1327
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Acute cholecystitis
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgical Disciplines, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
- 2. Department of Nuclear Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India