A Universal Randomized Packet Scheduling Algorithm
- Łukasz Jeż
- … show all 1 hide
We give a memoryless scale-invariant randomized algorithm ReMix for Packet Scheduling that is e/(e−1)-competitive against an adaptive adversary. ReMix unifies most of previously known randomized algorithms, and its general analysis yields improved performance guarantees for several restricted variants, including the s-bounded instances. In particular, ReMix attains the optimum competitive ratio of 4/3 on 2-bounded instances.
Our results are applicable to a more general problem, called Item Collection, in which only the relative order between packets’ deadlines is known. ReMix is the optimal memoryless randomized algorithm against adaptive adversary for that problem.
- A Universal Randomized Packet Scheduling Algorithm
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 67, Issue 4 , pp 498-515
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Online algorithms
- Competitive analysis
- Adaptive adversary
- Packet scheduling
- Buffer management with bounded delay
- Industry Sectors
- Łukasz Jeż (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Computer Science, University of Wrocław, ul. Joliot-Curie 15, 50-383, Wrocław, Poland
- 2. Institute of Mathematics, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Žitná 25, 115 67, Praha 1, Czech Republic