Computing a (1+ε)-Approximate Geometric Minimum-Diameter Spanning Tree
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Given a set P of points in the plane, a geometric minimum-diameter spanning tree (GMDST) of P is a spanning tree of P such that the longest path through the tree is minimized. For several years, the best upper bound on the time to compute a GMDST was cubic with respect to the number of points in the input set. Recently, Timothy Chan introduced a subcubic time algorithm. In this paper we present an algorithm that generates a tree whose diameter is no more than (1 + ε) times that of a GMDST, for any ε > 0. Our algorithm reduces the problem to several grid-aligned versions of the problem and runs within time $O(ε-3+ n) and space O(n).
- Callahan, P., Kosaraju, R. (1995) A decomposition of multidimensional point sets with applications to k-nearest neighbors and n-body potential fields. Journal of the ACM 42: pp. 67-90 CrossRef
- Camerini, P.M., Galbiati, G., Maffioli, F. (1980) Complexity of spanning tree problems, I. European Journal of Operational Research 5: pp. 346-352 CrossRef
- T. Chan, Semi-online maintenance of geometric optima and measures, Proceedings of the 13th ACM–SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), 2002, pp. 474–483.
- Cong, J., He, L., Koh, C., Madden, P. (1996) Performance optimization of VLSI interconnection layout. Integration: the VLSI Journal 21: pp. 1-94 CrossRef
- D. Eppstein, Spanning trees and spanners, in Handbook of Computational Geometry (J.R. Sack and J. Urrutia, eds.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 2000, pp. 425–462.
- J. Gudmundsson, H. Haverkort, S.-M. Park, C.-S. Shin, and A. Wolff, Facility location and the geometric minimum-diameter spanning tree, in Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Approximation Algorithms for Combinatorial Optimization (APPROX), 2002, pp. 146–160.
- Hassin, R., Tamir, A. (1995) On the minimum diameter spanning tree problem. Information Processing Letters 53: pp. 109-111 CrossRef
- Ho, J., Lee, D., Chang, C., Wong, C. (1991) Minimum diameter spanning trees and related problems. SIAM Journal on Computing 20: pp. 987-997 CrossRef
- W. D. Jones, Euclidean Communication Spanning Trees, M.Sc. Thesis, University of Saskatchewan, 1994.
- Kariv, O., Hakimi, S. L. (1979) An algorithmic approach to network location problems, I: the p-centers. SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics 37: pp. 513-537 CrossRef
- Computing a (1+ε)-Approximate Geometric Minimum-Diameter Spanning Tree
Volume 38, Issue 4 , pp 577-589
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Minimum diameter spanning tree
- Approximation algorithm
- Geometric graph
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G1, Canada
- 2. Department of Computer Science, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7N 5A9, Canada
- 3. Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Box 90129, Durham, NC 27708, USA
- 4. Communication Systems Engineering Department, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, 84105, Israel
- 5. Department of Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175, USA