Ataxic gait and mental retardation with absence of the paternal chromosome 8 and an idic(8)(p23.3): imprinting effect or nullisomy for distal 8p genes?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A female child with mild dysmorphisms, motor and mental retardation had a 45,XX,-8,-8,+psu dic(8)(p23.3) karyotype in blood lymphocytes, skin fibroblasts and in a lymphoblastoid cell line. DNA analysis showed that the proposita was nullisomic for the 8pter region distal to D8S264, at less than 1 cM from the telomere. Analysis of DNA polymorphisms of 38 loci spread along the entire chromosome 8 revealed that only maternal alleles were present, distributed in four heterozygous and four homozygous regions. This finding indicated that the rearrangement occurred during maternal meiosis in a chromosome recombinant with a minimum of seven crossovers. To our knowledge this is the first case of uniparental maternal disomy for chromosome 8 and of nullisomy for the distal 1-cM portion of the short arm. The available data are in favour of the assumption that no imprinted genes are present on chromosome 8. Thus, dysmorphisms, motor and mental retardation of the proposita are likely to be caused by the nullisomy for the region distal to D8S264, a region in which a recessive gene for epilepsy with progressive mental retardation is known to be located.
- Ataxic gait and mental retardation with absence of the paternal chromosome 8 and an idic(8)(p23.3): imprinting effect or nullisomy for distal 8p genes?
Volume 99, Issue 6 , pp 766-771
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- A1. Biologia Generale e Genetica Medica, Universita’ di Pavia CP 217, I-27100 Pavia, Italy Tel.: +39 382 507 519; Fax: +39 382 52 50 30 e-mail: zuffardi a tigem.it, IT
- A2. Genetica Medica, Ospedale Regionale, Bolzano, Italy, IT
- A3. Pediatria, Ospedale Regionale, Bolzano, Italy, IT