Incidence of joint symptoms and bone fractures in Japanese postmenopausal breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant anastrozole
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Incidence of joint symptoms and bone fractures as well as changes in bone mineral density (BMD) in Japanese postmenopausal breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant anastrozole were investigated to determine whether there is an ethnic difference from Caucasian patients in the incidence of these adverse events of anastrozole.
Adjuvant anastrozole was used to treat 348 postmenopausal breast cancer patients for a median period of 22 months. Adverse events of anastrozole including joint symptoms, loss of BMD, and bone fracture were investigated by means of chart review.
Joint symptoms developed in 96 (27.5%) patients. Age (younger than 65) and prior chemotherapy was strongly associated with an increased risk of joint symptoms. Annual fracture incidence was 0.86 and 0.85% and lumbar BMD decreased by 1.3 and 2.8% at 1 and 2 years, respectively. In comparison, the ATAC trial reported corresponding figures of 2.0 and 2.7 and of 2.2 and 4.0%.
Incidence and risk factors of joint symptoms are similar for Japanese and Caucasian patients, but the former tend to show a smaller decrease in BMD and a lower incidence of bone fractures, probably due to ethnic difference in the hormonal milieu.
- Andersen PH, Tanko LB, Andersen TL, Lundberg CV, Mo JA, Heegaard AM, Delaisse JM, Christgaus S (2004) Ovariectomized rats as a model of postmenopausal osteoarthritis: validation and application. Arthritis Res Ther 6:R169–R180 CrossRef
- Baum M, Buzdar AU, Cuzick J, Forbes J, Houghton JH, Klijn JG, Sahmound T, ATAC Trialists’ Group (2002) Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal woman with early breast cancer: first results of the ATAC randomised trials. Lancet 359:2131–2139 CrossRef
- Buzdar A, Howell A, Cuzick J, Wale C, Distler W, Hoctin-Boes G, Houghton J, Locker GY, Nabhholtz JM, ATAC Trialists’ Group (2006) Comprehensive side-effect profile of anastrozole and tamoxifen as adjuvant treatment for early-stage breast cancer: long-term safety analysis of the ATAC trial. Lancet Oncol 7:633–643 CrossRef
- Crew KD, Greenlee H, Capodice J, Raptis G, Brafman L, Fuentes D, Sierra A, Hershman DL (2007) Prevalence of joint symptoms in postmenopausal women taking aromotase inhibitors for early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 25:3877–3883 CrossRef
- Donnellan PP, Douglas SL, Cameron DA, Leonard RC (2001) Aromatase inhibitors and arthralgia. J Clin Oncol 19:2767
- Howell A, Cuzick J, Baum M, Buzdar A, Dowsett M, Forbes JF, Hoctin-Boes G, Houghton J, Locker GY, Tobias JS, ATAC Trialist’s Group (2005) Results of the ATAC trial after completion of 5 years’ adjuvant treatment for breast cancer. Lancet 365:60–62 CrossRef
- Ito M, Lang TF, Jergas M, Ohki M, Takada M, Nakamura T, Hayashi K, Genanat HK (1997) Spinal trabecular bone loss and fracture in American and Japanese women. Calcif Tissue Int 61:123–128 CrossRef
- Ohsako T, Inoue K, Nagamoto N, Yoshida Y, Nakahara O, Sakamoto N (2006) Joint symptoms: a practical problem of anastrozole. Breast Cancer 13:284–288 CrossRef
- Ross PD, Fujiwara S, Huang C, Davis JW, Epstein RS, Wasnich RD, Kodama K, Melton LJ III (1995) Vertebral fracture prevalence in women in Hiroshima compared to Caucasians or Japanese in the US. Int J Epidemiol 24:1171–1177 CrossRef
- Shimizu H, Ross RK, Bernstein L, Pike MC, Henderson BE (1990) Serum oestrogen levels in postmenopausal women: comparison of American whites and Japanese. Br J Cancer 62:451–453
- Yoneda K, Tanji Y, Okishiro M, Taguchi T, Tamaki Y, Noguchi S (2006) Influence of adjuvant anastrozole on bone mineral density in Japanese postmenopausal breast cancer patients: is there a racial difference? Ann Oncol 17:1175–1176 CrossRef
- Incidence of joint symptoms and bone fractures in Japanese postmenopausal breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant anastrozole
Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology
Volume 135, Issue 6 , pp 823-827
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Bone mineral density
- Joint symptoms
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2-2-E10 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka, 565-0871, Japan