Chemotherapeutic management of recurrent/metastatic uterine carcinosarcomas (malignant mixed mullerian tumors): time for a re-appraisal?
- Maurie Markman
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Optimal chemotherapeutic management of recurrent/metastatic uterine carcinosarcomas remains undefined. Despite this fact, the selection of a cytotoxic anti-neoplastic drug regimen for an individual patient with this rare malignancy may substantially impact both short-term symptomatic improvement and overall quality-of-life, which includes the toxicity of therapy.
Patients and methods
Two women with metastatic uterine carcinosarcomas recently treated at the Cleveland Clinic received therapy (carboplatin/paclitaxel) directly aimed at the “adenocarcinoma” component of their mixed endometrial cancers.
Both patients achieved substantial short-term objective and subjective improvement in cancer-related signs and symptoms, while experiencing limited treatment-associated toxicities.
This limited experience, and additional available data, suggest it is rational to initially treat patients with recurrent/metastatic uterine carcinosarcomas with anti-neoplastic drug strategies currently employed in the management of endometrial adenocarcinomas.
- Berchuck A, Rubin SC, Hoskins WJ, Saigo PE, Pierce VK, Lewis JL Jr (1988) Treatment of uterine leiomyosarcoma. Obstet Gynecol 71:845–850
- Bitterman P, Chun B, Kurman RJ (1990) The significance of epithelial differentiation in mixed mesodermal tumors of the uterus: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study. Am J Surg Pathol 14:317–328
- Burke TW, Stringer CA, Morris M, Freedman RS, Gershenson DM, Kavanagh JJ, Edwards CL (1991) Prospective treatment of advanced or recurrent endometrial carcinoma with cisplatin, doxorubicin, and cyclophosphamide. Gynecol Oncol 40:264-267 CrossRef
- Dimopoulos MA, Papadimitriou CA, Georgoulias V, Moulopoulos LA, Aravantinos G, Gika D, Karpathios S, Stamatelopoulos S (2000) Paclitaxel and cisplatin in advanced or recurrent carcinoma of the endometrium: long-term results of a phase II multicenter study. Gynecol Oncol 78:52–57 CrossRef
- Dunton CJ, Pfeifer SM, Braitman LE, Morgan MA, Carlson JA, Mikuta JJ (1991) Treatment of advanced and recurrent endometrial cancer with cisplatin, doxorubicin, and cyclophosphamide. Gynecol Oncol 41:113–116 CrossRef
- Edmonson JH, Blessing JA, Cosin JA, Miller DS, Cohn DE, Rotmensch J (2002) Phase II study of mitomycin, doxorubicin, and cisplatin in the treatment of advanced uterine leiomyosarcoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Gynecol Oncol 85:507–510 CrossRef
- Fleming GF, Fowler JM, Waggoner SE, Copeland LJ, Greer BE, Horowitz I, Sutton G, Schilder RJ, Fracasso PM, Ball HG, McGuire III WP (2001) Phase I trial of escalating doses of paclitaxel combined with fixed doses of cisplatin and doxorubicin in advanced endometrial cancer and other gynecologic malignancies: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol 19:1021–1029
- Fleming GF, Brunetto VL, Mundt AJ, Burks RT, Look KY, Reid G (2002) Randomized trial of doxorubicin (DOX) plus cisplatin (CIS) versus DOX plus CIS plus paclitaxel (TAX) in patients with advanced or recurrent endometrial carcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG) study. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 21:202a
- Gallion HH, Brunetto VL, Cibull M, Lentz SS, Reid G, Soper JT, Burger RA, Andersen W (2003) Randomized phase III trial of standard timed doxorubicin plus cisplatin versus circadian timed doxorubicin plus cisplatin in stage III and IV or recurrent endometrial carcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol 21:3808–3813 CrossRef
- Hawkins RE, Wiltshaw E, Mansi JL (1990) Ifosfamide with and without adriamycin in advanced uterine leiomyosarcoma. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 26:S26–29
- Hoskins PJ, Swenerton KD, Pike JA, Wong F, Lim P, Acquino-Parsons C, Lee N (2001) Paclitaxel and carboplatin, alone or with irradiation, in advanced or recurrent endometrial cancer: a phase II study. J Clin Oncol 9:4048–4053
- Le T, Krepart GV, Lotocki RJ, Heywood MS (1997) Malignant mixed mesodermal ovarian tumor treatment and prognosis: a 20-year experience. Gynecol Oncol 65:237–240 CrossRef
- Levenback CF, Tortolero-Luna G, Pandey DK, Malpica A, Baker VV, Whittaker L, Johnson E, Mitchell MF (1996) Uterine sarcoma. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 23:457–473
- Moore TD, Phillips PH, Nerenstone SR, Cheson BD (1991) Systemic treatment of advanced and recurrent endometrial carcinoma: current status and future directions. J Clin Oncol 9:1071–1088
- Pearl ML, Inagami M, McCauley DL, Valea FA, Chalas E, Fischer M (2002) Mesna, doxorubicin, ifosfamide, and dacarbazine (MAID) chemotherapy for gynecological sarcomas. Int J Gynecol Cancer 12:745–748 CrossRef
- Price FV, Edwards RP, Kelley JL, Kunschner AJ, Hart LA (1997) A trial of outpatient paclitaxel and carboplatin for advanced, recurrent, and histologic high-risk endometrial carcinoma: preliminary report. Semin Oncol 24 [Suppl 15]:S15–78-S15–82
- Ramondetta LM, Burke TW, Jhingran A, Schmandt R, Bevers MW, Wolf JK, Levenback CF, Broaddus RA (2003) phase II trial of cisplatin, ifosfamide, and mesna in patients with advanced or recurrent uterine malignant mixed mullerian tumors with evaluation of potential molecular targets. Gynecol Oncol 90:529–536 CrossRef
- Silverberg SG, Major FJ, Blessing JA, Fetter B, Askin FB, Liao S-Y, Miller A (1990) Carcinosarcoma (malignant mixed mesodermal tumor) of the uterus A Gynecologic Oncology Group pathologic study of 203 cases. Int J Gynecol Pathol 9:1–19
- Sutton G, Brunetto VL, Kilgore L, Soper JT, McGehee R, Olt G, Lentz SS, Sorosky J, Hsiu J-G (2000) A phase III trial of ifosfamide with or without cisplatin in carcinosarcoma of the uterus: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Gynecol Oncol 79:147–153 CrossRef
- Sutton GP, Blessing JA, Barrett RJ, McGehee R (1992) Phase II trial of ifosfamide and mesna in leiomyosarcoma of the uterus: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 166:556–559
- Thigpen JT, Blessing JA, Beecham J, Homesley H, Yordan E (1991) Phase II trial of cisplatin as first-line chemotherapy in patients with advanced or recurrent uterine sarcomas: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol 9:1962–1966
- Thigpen T, Blessing J, Homesley H, Malfetano J, DiSaia P, Yordan E (1993) Phase III trial of doxorubicin +/- cisplatin in advanced or recurrent endometrial carcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG) study. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 12:261
- Zanotti KM, Belinson JL, Kennedy AW, Webster KD, Markman M (1999) The use of paclitaxel and platinum-based chemotherapy in uterine papillary serous carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol 74:272–277 CrossRef
- Chemotherapeutic management of recurrent/metastatic uterine carcinosarcomas (malignant mixed mullerian tumors): time for a re-appraisal?
Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology
Volume 130, Issue 11 , pp 645-648
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Uterine carcinosarcoma
- Industry Sectors
- Maurie Markman (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, (Mail Box # 121), Houston, Texas, 77030, USA