Expression of a novel lacrimal gland gene lacritin in human breast tissues
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this study was to examine breast tumors and normal breast tissues for the expression of the glycoprotein lacritin. The mRNA and protein expression of lacritin has been reported to be restricted to the lacrimal gland.
We investigated 37 human primary invasive breast tumors, seven breast cancer cell lines and 16 normal breast tissues by quantitative real-time PCR for lacritin expression.
We detected lacritin transcipts in 51% (19/37) of the primary invasive breast tumors, in 71% (5/7) of the breast cancer cell lines, and also in 56% (9/16) of the normal breast tissues. No lacritin mRNA was detectable in peripheral blood of healthy individuals.
Here we show by quantitative real-time PCR that lacritin is expressed in human breast tumors, breast cancer cell lines, and normal breast. The previously reported restricted expression pattern of lacritin is therefore incorrect. Lacritin transcripts were not detected in peripheral blood which makes lacritin a potential candidate as a breast cancer marker gene.
- Alberts B, Bray D, Lewis J, Raff M, Roberts K, Watson JD (1983) RNA Synthesis and RNA processing. In: Molecular biology of the cell. Garland, New York, pp 406–429
- Bieche I, Laurendeau I, Tozlu S, Olivi M, Vidaud D, Lidereau R, Vidaud M (1999) Quantitation of MYC gene expression in sporadic breast tumors with a real-time reverse transcription-PCR assay. Cancer Res 59:2759–2765
- Bosma AJ, Weigelt B, Lambrechts AC, Verhagen OJHM, Pruntel R, Hart AAM, Rodenhuis S, van ‘t Veer LJ (2002) Detection of circulating breast tumor cells by differential expression of marker genes. Clin Cancer Res 8:1871–1877
- Caron H, van Schaik B, van der Mee M, Baas F, Riggins G, van Sluis P, Hermus MC, van Asperen R, Boon K, Voute PA, Heisterkamp S, van Kampen A, Versteeg R (2001) The human transcriptome map: clustering of highly expressed genes in chromosomal domains. Science 291:1289–1292
- Sanghi S, Kumar R, Lumsden A, Dickinson D, Klepeis V, Trinkaus-Randall V, Frierson HF Jr, Laurie GW (2001) cDNA and genomic cloning of lacritin, a novel secretion enhancing factor from the human lacrimal gland. J Mol Biol 310:127–139 CrossRef
- Velculescu VE, Zhang L, Vogelstein B, Kinzler KW (1995) Serial analysis of gene expression. Science 270:484–487
- Expression of a novel lacrimal gland gene lacritin in human breast tissues
Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology
Volume 129, Issue 12 , pp 735-736
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Lacritin expression
- Real-time PCR
- Breast cancer
- Industry Sectors