Pseudothrombocytopenia in a neonate due to mother?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA)-dependent pseudothrombocytopenia (PTCP) is the phenomenon of a false low platelet count reported by an automated haematology analyzer due to in vitro aggregation of platelets. This aggregation is due to the interaction between antibodies and EDTA-dependent crypt antigens on platelets. We observed a new born child whose mother was diagnosed with transient PTCP due to transplacental transmission of maternal immunoglobulin G antibodies during pregnancy. Conclusion: Although maternal–neonatal PTCP is rare, it is important to consider this phenomenon as a cause of trombocytopenia, as it can result in unnecessary diagnostic workup and treatment.
- Bartels PCM, Schoorl M, Lombarts AJPF (1997) Screening for EDTA-dependent deviations in platelet count and abnormalities in platelet distribution histogram in pseudothromocytopenia. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 57:629–636 CrossRef
- Bizarro N (1995) EDTA-dependent pseudothrombocytopenia: a clinical and epidemiological study of 112 cases, with 10-year follow-up. Am J Hematol 50:103–109 CrossRef
- Casonato A, Bertomoro A, Pontara E, Dannhauser D, Lazzaro AR, Girolami A (1994) EDTA dependent pseudothrombocytopenia caused by antibodies against the cytoadhesive receptor of platelets gb IIb/IIIa. J Clin Pathol 47:625–630 CrossRef
- Chiurazzi F, Villa MR, Rotoli B (1999) Transplacental transmission of EDTA-dependent pseudothrombocytopenia. Haematologica 84:664
- Froom P, Barak M (2011) Prevalence course of pseudothombocytopenia in outpatients. Clin Chem Labmed 49:111–114
- Jacobs J, Tricot G, Verwilghen RL (1986) Pseudotrombocytopenie door trombocytenagglutinaten (EDTA-pseudotrombocytopenie). Ned Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde 130:1643–1646
- Malek A, Sager R, Kuhn P, Nicolaides KH, Schneider H (1996) Evolution of maternofetal transport of immunoglobulines during human pregnancy. Am J Reprod Immunol 36:248–255 CrossRef
- Onho N, Kobayashi M, Hayakawa S, Utsunomia A, Karakawa S (2012) Transient pseudothrombocytopenia in a neonate: transmission of a maternal EDTA-dependent anticoagulant. Platelets 23(5):399–400 CrossRef
- Shreiner DP, Bell WR (1973) Pseudothrombocytopenia: manifestation of a new type of platelet agglutinin. Blood 42:541–549
- von dem Borne AE, Verheugt FW, Oosterhof F, von Riesz E, de la Rivière AB, Engelfriet CP (1978) A simple immunofluorescence test for the detection of platelet antibodies. Br J Haematol 39(2):195–207 CrossRef
- Pseudothrombocytopenia in a neonate due to mother?
European Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 172, Issue 7 , pp 987-989
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- EDTA-dependent PTCP
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Paediatrics, Medical Center Alkmaar, Alkmaar, Netherlands
- 4. Department of Paediatrics, Jeroen Bosch Hospital, Henri Dunantstraat 1, 5223 GZ, Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
- 2. Department of Clinical Chemistry, Haematology and Immunology, Medical Center Alkmaar, Alkmaar, The Netherlands
- 3. Sanquin Diagnostic Services, Amsterdam, The Netherlands