Saccharomyces boulardii in childhood
- Yvan VandenplasAffiliated withUniversitair Ziekenhuis Kinderen Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel Email author
- , Oscar BrunserAffiliated withInstitute of Nutrition and Food Technology (INTA), U. of Chile
- , Hania SzajewskaAffiliated withThe Medical University of Warsaw
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Probiotics are live microorganisms which confer a health benefit on the host. Saccharomyces boulardii, a yeast, has been found to be an effective probiotic in double-blind placebo-controlled randomized clinical studies.
Materials and methods
We reviewed the established mechanisms of actions and clinical efficacy in children of S. boulardii.
The mechanisms of action of S. boulardii depend mainly on the inhibition of some bacterial toxins, anti-inflammatory effects, and on stimulating effects on the intestinal mucosa such as trophic effects on the brush border enzymes and immunostimulatory effects. At present, in pediatric populations, there is evidence that S. boulardii is beneficial for the treatment of acute gastroenteritis and the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea. More data are needed in other indications such as traveller’s diarrhea, Helicobacter pylori eradication, and inflammatory bowel disease. S. boulardii is a yeast strain that has been extensively studied in vitro and in vivo. Recent data have opened the door for new therapeutic indications.
KeywordsChild Diarrhea Gastroenteritis Probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii Yeast
- Saccharomyces boulardii in childhood
European Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 168, Issue 3 , pp 253-265
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Saccharomyces boulardii
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Universitair Ziekenhuis Kinderen Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeekl 101, 1090, Brussels, Belgium
- 2. Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology (INTA), U. of Chile, Santiago, Chile
- 3. The Medical University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland