Rhabdomyolysis in a patient with Kawasaki disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A previously healthy, 8-month-old boy suffered from Kawasaki disease with rhabdomyolysis.
Although Kawasaki disease (KD) is a systemic vasculitis affecting multiple organ systems, muscle involvement has rarely been reported [1, 2, 3, 4, 5,6]. This report describes rhabdomyolysis in a patient with KD.
A previously healthy, 8-month-old boy was referred to another hospital because of a 5-day history of high-grade fever, cervical lymph node swelling, and exanthema. The patient was transferred to our hospital because of elevated creatine kinase (CK) levels. The patient did not take any anti-inflammatory drugs including ibuprofen before admission. Upon admission, physical examination revealed bilateral conjunctivitis, a strawberry-like tongue, enlarged cervical lymph nodes, polymorphic truncal rash and oedema of the peripheral extremities. His vital signs were as follows: body temperature 40.3°C; blood pressure 102/48 mmHg; and pulse rate 140 beats/min. The body weight was 9.6 kg (-0.4 kg befo ...
- Gama C, Breeden K, Miller R (1990) Myositis in Kawasaki disease. Pediatr Neurol 6: 135–136 CrossRef
- Hicks JT, Korenyi-Both A, Utsinger PD, Baran EM, McLaughlin GE (1982) Neuromuscular and immunochemical abnormalities in an adult man with Kawasaki disease. Ann Intern Med 96: 607–610
- Inoue Y, Kobayashi T, Tomomasa T, Morikawa A (1999) Macro creatine kinase in Kawasaki disease. Pediatr Cardiol 20: 206–207 CrossRef
- Koutras A (1982) Myositis with Kawasaki’s disease. Am J Dis Child 136: 78–79
- Sevin C, Heidet L, Gagnadoux MF, Cheron G, Niaudet P (1993) Acute renal insufficiency in Kawasaki disease (in French). Arch Fr Pediatr 50: 505–507
- Sugie H, Sugie Y, Ichimura M, Mizuno Y, Nishida M, Igarasgi Y (1985) A case of polymyositis associated with Kawasaki disease. Brain Dev 7: 513–515
- Rhabdomyolysis in a patient with Kawasaki disease
European Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 162, Issue 12 , pp 891-892
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links