Liver transplantation as curative approach for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: is it justified?
Liver transplantation is considered as one of therapeutic approaches to hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). The present study aims to evaluate the efficacy of various therapeutic options for HCC.
Materials and methods
One hundred twenty patients with known HCC in various tumour stages were evaluated in the present study. Patients were treated either with primary tumour resection, transarterial chemoembolisation (TACE) or liver transplantation (LTx) by an interdisciplinary team.
The overall 1-year and 5-year survivals of patients in LTx group were 95 and 57%, respectively, which were significantly higher than those in primary tumour resection group (65 and 33%, P < 0.01) and those in TACE group (44 and 4%, P < 0.01). In parallel, 1-year and 5-year tumour-free survivals of patients in LTx group (75 and 62%) were significantly higher than those in primary tumour resection group (50 and 11%, P < 0.01). There were no significant differences in 1- and 5-year survivals of patients with early tumour stage received LTx or primary tumour resection, whereas patients in advanced tumour stage based on pathological findings of explanted liver significantly benefited from LTx as compared to primary resection.
LTx can be a curative approach for patients with advanced HCC without extrahepatic metastasis. However, organ shortage is a major limiting factor in the selection of HCC patients for LTx.
- Yao FY, Kinkhabwala M, LaBerge JM, Bass NM, Brown R Jr, Kerlan R, Venook A, Ascher NL, Emond JC, Roberts JP (2005) The impact of pre-operative loco-regional therapy on outcome after liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma. Am J Transplant 5(4 Pt 1):795–804, (Apr) CrossRef
- Oldhafer KJ, Chavan A, Fruhauf NR, Flemming P, Schlitt HJ, Kubicka S, Nashan B, Weimann A, Raab R, Manns MP, Galanski M (1998) Arterial chemoembolization before liver transplantation in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: marked tumor necrosis, but no survival benefit? J Hepatol 29(6):953–959, (Dec) CrossRef
- Bismuth H, Chiche L, Adam R, Castaing D, Diamond T, Dennison A (1993) Liver resection versus transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhotic patients. Ann Surg 218(2):145–151, (Aug) CrossRef
- Bruix J, Sherman M, Llovet JM, Beaugrand M, Lencioni R, Burroughs AK, Christensen E, Pagliaro L, Colombo M, Rodes J (2001) EASL Panel of Experts on HCC. Clinical management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Conclusions of the Barcelona-2000 EASL Conference. European Association for the Study of the Liver. J Hepatol 35(3):421–430, (Sep) CrossRef
- Llovet JM, Fuster J, Bruix J (1999) Intention-to-treat analysis of surgical treatment for early hepatocellular carcinoma: resection versus transplantation. Hepatology 30(6):1434–1440, (Dec) CrossRef
- Mazzaferro V, Regalia E, Doci R, Andreola S, Pulvirenti A, Bozzetti F, Montalto F, Ammatuna M, Morabito A, Gennari L (1996) Liver transplantation for the treatment of small hepatocellular carcinomas in patients with cirrhosis. N Engl J Med 334(11):693–699, (Mar 14) CrossRef
- Jonas S, Bechstein WO, Steinmuller T, Herrmann M, Radke C, Berg T, Settmacher U, Neuhaus P (2001) Vascular invasion and histopathologic grading determine outcome after liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis. Hepatology 33(5):1080–1086, (May) CrossRef
- Llovet JM, Bruix J, Fuster J, Castells A, Garcia-Valdecasas JC, Grande L, Franca A, Bru C, Navasa M, Ayuso MC, Sole M, Real MI, Vilana R, Rimola A, Visa J, Rodes J (1998) Liver transplantation for small hepatocellular carcinoma: the tumor-node-metastasis classification does not have prognostic power. Hepatology 27(6):1572–1577, (Jun) CrossRef
- Lin CS, Jen YM, Chiu SY, Hwang JM, Chao HL, Lin HY, Shum WY (2006) Treatment of portal vein tumor thrombosis of hepatoma patients with either stereotactic radiotherapy or three dimensional conformal radiotherapy. Jpn J Clin Oncol 36(4):212–217, (Apr) CrossRef
- Pelletier G, Ducreux M, Gay F, Luboinski M, Hagege H, Dao T, Van Steenbergen W, Buffet C, Rougier P, Adler M, Pignon JP, Roche A (1998) Treatment of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma with lipiodol chemoembolization: a multicenter randomized trial. Groupe CHC. J Hepatol 29(1):129–134, (Jul) CrossRef
- Lo CM, Ngan H, Tso WK, Liu CL, Lam CM, Poon RT, Fan ST, Wong J (2002) Randomized controlled trial of transarterial lipiodol chemoembolization for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 35(5):1164–1171, (May) CrossRef
- Jansen MC, van Hillegersberg R, Chamuleau RA, van Delden OM, Gouma DJ, van Gulik TM (2005) Outcome of regional and local ablative therapies for hepatocellular carcinoma: a collective review. Eur J Surg Oncol 31(4):331–347, (May) CrossRef
- Otto G, Herber S, Heise M, Lohse AW, Monch C, Bittinger F, Hoppe-Lotichius M, Schuchmann M, Victor A, Pitton M (2006) Response to transarterial chemoembolization as a biological selection criterion for liver transplantation in hepatocellular carcinoma. Liver Transplant 12(8):1260–1267, (Aug) CrossRef
- Little SA, Fong Y (2001) Hepatocellular carcinoma: current surgical management. Semin Oncol 28(5):474–486, (Oct) CrossRef
- Arii S, Yamaoka Y, Futagawa S, Inoue K, Kobayashi K, Kojiro M, Makuuchi M, Nakamura Y, Okita K, Yamada R (2000) Results of surgical and nonsurgical treatment for small-sized hepatocellular carcinomas: a retrospective and nationwide survey in Japan. The Liver Cancer Study Group of Japan. Hepatology 32(6):1224–1229, (Dec)
- Zhou XD, Tang ZY (1997) Management of hepatocellular carcinoma: long-term outcome in 2639 cases. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 24(Suppl 1):9–16, (May)
- Poon RT, Fan ST (2004) Hepatectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma: patient selection and postoperative outcome. Liver Transplant 10(2 Suppl 1):S39–S45, (Feb) CrossRef
- Wayne JD, Lauwers GY, Ikai I, Doherty DA, Belghiti J, Yamaoka Y, Regimbeau JM, Nagorney DM, Do KA, Ellis LM, Curley SA, Pollock RE, Vauthey JN (2002) Preoperative predictors of survival after resection of small hepatocellular carcinomas. Ann Surg 235(5):722–730, (May) CrossRef
- Ikai I, Arii S, Kojiro M, Ichida T, Makuuchi M, Matsuyama Y, Nakanuma Y, Okita K, Omata M, Takayasu K, Yamaoka Y (2004) Reevaluation of prognostic factors for survival after liver resection in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma in a Japanese nationwide survey. Cancer 101(4):796–802, (Aug 15) CrossRef
- Adam R, Azoulay D, Castaing D, Eshkenazy R, Pascal G, Hashizume K, Samuel D, Bismuth H (2003) Liver resection as a bridge to transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma on cirrhosis: a reasonable strategy? Ann Surg 238(4):508–518, (Oct)
- Lubienski A (2005) Hepatocellular carcinoma: interventional bridging to liver transplantation. Transplantation 80(1 Suppl):S113–S119, (Sep 27) CrossRef
- Bechstein WO, Guckelberger O, Kling N, Rayes N, Tullius SG, Lobeck H, Vogl T, Jonas S, Neuhaus P (1998) Recurrence-free survival after liver transplantation for small hepatocellular carcinoma. Transpl Int 11(Suppl 1):S189–S192 CrossRef
- Figueras J, Ibanez L, Ramos E, Jaurrieta E, Ortiz-de-Urbina J, Pardo F, Mir J, Loinaz C, Herrera L, Lopez-Cillero P, Santoyo J (2001) Selection criteria for liver transplantation in early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma with cirrhosis: results of a multicenter study. Liver Transplant 7(10):877–883, (Oct) CrossRef
- Baccarani U, Adani GL, Avellini C, Lorenzin D, Curro G, Beltrami A, Pasqualucci A, Bresadola V, Risaliti A, Viale PL, Beltrami CA, Bresadola F (2006) Comparison of clinical and pathological staging and long-term results of liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma in a single transplant center. Transplant Proc 38(4):1111–1113, (May) CrossRef
- Schlitt HJ, Neipp M, Weimann A, Oldhafer KJ, Schmoll E, Boeker K, Nashan B, Kubicka S, Maschek H, Tusch G, Raab R, Ringe B, Manns MP, Pichlmayr R (1999) Recurrence patterns of hepatocellular and fibrolamellar carcinoma after liver transplantation. J Clin Oncol 17(1):324–331, (Jan)
- Liver transplantation as curative approach for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: is it justified?
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery
Volume 393, Issue 2 , pp 141-147
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Liver transplantation
- Transarterial chemoembolisation
- Tumour-free survival
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of General Surgery, University of Göttingen Medical Centre, Göttingen, Germany
- 2. Department of Surgery, University of Regensburg Medical Centre, Franz-Josef-Strauß-Allee 11, 93042, Regensburg, Germany