Transdermal resorption of an ethanol- and 2-propanol-containing skin disinfectant
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background and aims
Ethanol- or 2-propanol-containing disinfectant agents are widely used in medical practice, particularly in the surgical environment. It was the primary objective of this phase I study to comparatively investigate the transdermal resorption of ethanol and 2-propanol within 1 h after dermal application of the two agents as single preparations and a commercial product containing both alcohols in combination, respectively. The secondary objective was to examine whether a mutual influence of the two alcohols in combination exists.
Materials and methods
Following the double-blind, randomized, three-times cross-over design for this clinical trial, 20 ml of three different alcohol-containing disinfectants were applied on a 200-cm2 gauze swab on skin areas, identical in size and location, of 14 healthy volunteers for 10 min to investigate the absorption rate of ethanol and 2-propanol with special focus on the question whether the two alcohols might influence each other’s absorption rate when being applied in combination.
No clinically relevant enhancement of dermal absorption, with respect to ethanol and 2-propanol, could be observed within 1 h after application, neither when used as single preparations, nor in combination.
Therefore, the use of ethanol- and 2-propanol-containing disinfectants in the medical environment can be considered as safe.
- Transdermal resorption of an ethanol- and 2-propanol-containing skin disinfectant
Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery
Volume 394, Issue 1 , pp 151-157
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Transdermal resorption
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. B.Braun Melsungen AG, Stadtwaldpark 10, 34212, Melsungen, Germany
- 2. Department of Surgery, University of Munich, Klinikum Großhadern, Marchioninistr. 15, 81377, Munich, Germany
- 3. Proverum GmbH, Münsterstraße 111, 48155, Münster, Germany
- 4. Estimate GmbH, Konrad-Adenauer-Allee 1, 86150, Augsburg, Germany
- 5. B.Braun Medical AG, Seesatz, 6203, Sempach-Station, Switzerland