A simulated eye for vitreous surgery using Japanese quail eggs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We produced a simulated eye for vitreous surgery training by using Japanese quail eggs, and verified its utility.
We used a special cutter to cut off the sharp end of a Japanese quail egg, fitted a silicone simulated sclerocorneal cap to the exposed area, and fixed the egg to a base. Trocars were placed in the simulated sclera according to the usual procedure for vitreous surgery, and the yolk and albumen were treated as the vitreous body, and resected by using a vitreous cutter. Membrane peeling was performed on the inner eggshell membrane as if it were the internal limiting membrane.
The yolk and albumen could be resected with a vitreous cutter in the same way as the vitreous body. The inner eggshell membrane could be visualized under staining with Brilliant Blue G and other stains, enabling peeling to be performed with vitreous forceps in the same way as is normally performed for the human internal limiting membrane.
This model can be used for simulating the spatial recognition of the vitreous chamber during vitreous surgery. This model proved useful for initial training in port creation, central vitreous body resection, and membrane manipulation in the macular area.
- Yoshizaki N, Saito H (2002) Changes in shell membranes during the development of quail embryos. Poult Sci 81:246–251
- Nakano T, Ikawa NI, Ozimek L (2003) Chemical composition of chicken eggshell and shell membranes. Poult Sci 82:510–514
- Hikichi T, Yoshida A, Igarashi S, Mukai N, Harada M, Muroi K, Terada T (2000) Vitreous surgery simulator. Arch Ophthalmol 118:1679–1681 CrossRef
- Jonas JB, Rabethge S, Bender HJ (2003) Computer-assisted training system for pars plana vitrectomy. Acta Ophthalmol Scand 81:600–604 CrossRef
- Uhlig CE, Gerding H (2004) Illuminated artificial orbit for the training of vitreoretinal surgery in vitro. Eye (Lond) 18:183–187 CrossRef
- A simulated eye for vitreous surgery using Japanese quail eggs
Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
Volume 251, Issue 6 , pp 1621-1624
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Simulated eye
- Surgical training
- Industry Sectors