Bilateral cystoid macular edema in a patient with chronic myeloid leukaemia under treatment with imanitib mesylate: report of an unusual side effect
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Imanitib mesylate is a selective inhibitor of the BCR-ABL tyrosine kinase and has been used as an effective therapy for chronic myeloid leukaemia(CML) . The most common ocular side effects of imanitib are periorbital edema and epifora . We report a patient who developed severe bilateral cystoid macular edema (CME) during treatment with imanitib.
A 74-year-old female was referred for cataract surgery in her right eye. She gave a 2-year history of CML, under treatment with injections of interferon. Best-corrected visual acuity (BCVA) was 6/12 right and 6/9 left eye. Fundoscopy of both eyes was unremarkable. Right uncomplicated phacoemulsification was performed in May 2004, and 3 weeks postoperatively the BCVA of the right eye was 6/9+2. It was around this time that therapy for her CML was switched to imatinib 600 mg/day.
One month later the patient complained of epifora and gradual deterioration of vision in both eyes. Her BCVAs were 6/36 right and 6/24 left eye, with no ...
- Schiffer C, Hehlmann R, Larson R (2003) Perspectives on the treatment of chronic phase and advanced phase CML and Philadelphia chromosome positive ALL(1). Leukemia 17:691–699 CrossRef
- Fraunfelder FW, Solomon J, Druker BJ, Esmaeli B, Kuyl J (2003) Ocular side-effects associated with imatinib mesylate (Gleevec). J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 19:371–375 CrossRef
- Kusumi E, Arakawa A, Kami M, Kato D, Yuji K, Kishi Y, Murashige N, Miyakoshi S, Ueyama J, Morinaga S, Taniguchi S, Muto Y (2004) Visual disturbance due to retinal edema as a complication of imatinib. Leukemia 18:1138–1139 CrossRef
- Masood I, Negi A, Dua HS (2005) Imatinib as a cause of cystoid macular edema following uneventful phacoemulsification surgery. J Cataract Refract Surg 31:2427–2428 CrossRef
- Robbins SG, Mixon RN, Wilson DJ, Hart CE, Robertson JE, Westra I, Planck SR, Rosenbaum JT (1994) Platelet-derived growth factor ligands and receptors immunolocalized in proliferative retinal diseases. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 35:3649–3663
- Bilateral cystoid macular edema in a patient with chronic myeloid leukaemia under treatment with imanitib mesylate: report of an unusual side effect
Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
Volume 245, Issue 10 , pp 1585-1586
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links